PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hostel and why?

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 20:09
First time I've posted a new thread here on WB. I know it's just resurecting an old thread but I haven't seen it in a while. I'd like to know from thru-hikers, which is your favorite hostel on the AT and why. I'm biased on the issue so I shall refrain from sharing mine.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 20:11
Of hostels presently in operation, probably Kincora, but there are certainly others that are right up there.

Tennessee Viking
01-07-2009, 20:19
I am biased eventhough I haven't stayed at a hostel yet. I got to go for Kincora. One...Dennis Cove is one of my favorite local spots. Two...Bob, he is a friend and the most generous guy on trail. Three...HARDCORE (insert Bostonian accent here).

Blissful
01-07-2009, 20:25
The Cabin in Maine (currently closed though)

But enjoyed Kincora very much as well. Bob is a super human being.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 20:28
Im more interested in the why than just the name of the hostel. What do you like about it and is there anything you would like to see added, improved, taken out etc...

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 20:38
Re. Kincora:

It is one of the friendliest places on the entire Trail; it has everything one might need or want; and its proprietor, Bob Peoples, is unique.

As to what needs to be added, improved on, taken out, etc......

Nothing at all.

KG4FAM
01-07-2009, 20:39
Blueberry Patch - warm wood stove, they max out at 10, a good home cooked breakfast, conversation with Gary Poteat (very humble former thru hiker)

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 23:32
Braemer Castle cuz nobody goes there. they pile into Kincora instead where they're stuck with no stores, beer fobidden and crammed in like marshmallows in a bag :)

A-Train
01-07-2009, 23:42
Braemer Castle cuz nobody goes there. they pile into Kincora instead where they're stuck with no stores, beer fobidden and crammed in like marshmallows in a bag :)

I'd love to go back to Kincorra off season and hangout with Bob. Place was waaay too crowded when I was there, went down the road. And that was early April. Can't imagine what it is like in May.

Appreciated the ride to town and a place to send my maps too though.

KG4FAM
01-07-2009, 23:49
I'd love to go back to Kincorra off season and hangout with Bob. Place was waaay too crowded when I was there, went down the road. And that was early April. Can't imagine what it is like in May.

Appreciated the ride to town and a place to send my maps too though.I stayed there at the end of may right after the crowd and it was great. We had at most 10 people there. I slept in the upstairs and there was one other person up there. It was very peaceful and I really enjoyed that night. I would imagine that it would be crazy a couple of weeks earlier.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 23:54

exactly

Compass
01-08-2009, 01:31
Woods Hole was a great change of pace in 06 with Tilly and her granddaughter.
The Outhouse/Mayor's House for hospitality and appreciation for people that think differently.

traildust
01-08-2009, 12:11
Hiker Hostel. Lee and Josh are saints to many hikers getting started and needing help with a shuttle. A great way to start your hike and be fresh and ready for the journey.

To judge the best is so hard. Depends on when you got there, how much help you needed, etc...

Lilred
01-08-2009, 15:35
I really liked Standing Bear Farm. But I go for the rustic, antique type of places. Elmer's in Hot Springs is another not to miss stop imho. His cooking is excellent!!

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 15:38
Last I checked, the accomodations at Standing Bear Farm were pretty rustic, tho I'm not sure Curtis wants to be considered an "antique". :D

It's also one of the best places on the Trail.

Sly
01-08-2009, 15:47
I'd love to go back to Kincorra off season and hangout with Bob. Place was waaay too crowded when I was there, went down the road. And that was early April.

Early April? When did you start?

Rockhound, since you're asking the question, we don't care about your bias. Which do you like best?

stacy324
01-08-2009, 15:55
Miss Janet's House was the best ...

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 16:38

Rockhound, since you're asking the question, we don't care about your bias. Which do you like best?
Curtis and Maria have been kind enough to allow me to volunteer here at the Standing Bear Hostel, so of course my alligence lies there. Even if I wasnt caretaking I still think I would vote Standing Bear. It has everything a hiker needs. Hot showers, kitchen facilities, internet, telephone, they accept mail drops, laundry(old school), resupply shed with all the hiker favorites, its just 200 yds off the trail but mostly Id say its the laid back attitude.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 16:49
It has everything a hiker needs.

do they have private rooms? a store, beer and restaurants within walking distance?

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 17:08
Standing Bear, as Lone Wolf well knows, is far removed from town.

So no, you can't walk to a beer store or a restaurant from there, nor do they offer private rooms.

Oddly enough, tho, every year several thousand folks find a way to have a really good time there anyway.

Imagine that.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 17:12
Standing Bear, as Lone Wolf well knows, is far removed from town.

So no, you can't walk to a beer store or a restaurant from there, nor do they offer private rooms.

Oddly enough, tho, every year several thousand folks find a way to have a really good time there anyway.

Imagine that.

lose the attitude skippy. all hikers needs are different. if i'm taking a day or two off i don't want to be around or sleeping with other hikers. i don't want to wait on a shuttle to get stuff. iand i like to drink beer. i ain't said nothin' bad about standing bear. it's just not for me personnally. and there's lots of hikers that agree with me.

imagine that. :)

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 17:15
Cool.

Then they can stay elsewhere, and the good folks at Standing Bear will, in all likelihood, not miss them.

Everyone's happy. :D

Right, Skippy?

Lion King
01-08-2009, 17:24
Dont you just want to eat 'em both up?:D

Plodderman
01-08-2009, 17:27
Rogers in Damascus as it is the only one I have stayed at. But I had some friends with me and we a good time.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 17:29
do they have private rooms? a store, beer and restaurants within walking distance?
theres a chicken coop out back you can have all to yourself LW. Curtis runs shuttles to the stores in Hartford each afternoon(where you can buy beer. On weekends hikers can go out to eat at the Front Porch. Great Mexican/Bluegrass joint and anywhere is walking distance if you have the time LW

Happy Feet
01-08-2009, 17:30
My vote has to go to Kincora. We were in Bob and Pat's first class and when we strolled in 4 years later on our next thru he remembered us and our year. He pointed to our picture on his wall. What makes Bob and Kincora tops in my book is that he truly cares about, and is interested in the people who come to Kincora. He's not all about making a profit on hikers (not saying there is anything wrong with that, by the way), but Bob's goal is to serve hikers. Make us more comfortable. Encourage us to be our best. He knows we smell and are dirty and tired and sometimes discouraged. We have nothing to offer him except grunge, and maybe a conversation and a few bucks (if ya have it). He's a people person. If you knew who Bob is, he doesn't have to hang around with the likes of us hikers. He's from a different standing in life than most who come through his doors, but because of who he is, he sees us all as just people. He admires most of us for having what it takes mentally and physically to get out and hike long distance. He's the first one who I ever heard refer to thru hikers as "athletes". Kincora hostel is a wonderful place to stay, but Bob is the one who makes it that way.

A-Train
01-08-2009, 17:38

March 1. I believe I landed at the gap near Kinorra on April 4th.

Red Hat
01-08-2009, 17:50
Hard to say, as they are so different! Hiker Hostel is upscale feeling, clean, and friendly for a start. Blueberry Patch is warm, loving, and serving. Standing Bear is more "farmer friendly"... Kincora is Bob and I'd stay just for that. Miss Janet's was "earthy" and hippy like. so on and so on up to Shaw's in Monson and the AT Inn in Millinocket. Oh, and don't miss The Bear's Den in VA, previous home to Queen Diva, now home to Hopeful, Redwing, and Hikelet...

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 17:54
Funny how perceptions of the same place can be so different to different people.

Miss Janet a "hippy?"

Wow.

I'm from Boston and used to live in Cambridge, as well as Amherst and Northampton Massachusetts, Ann Arbor Michigan, and Santa Cruz, California.

And I've spent a whole lotta time in Vermont.

Believe me, I know all about hipppies.

Janet ain't a hippie.

For one thing, she washes regularly.

Lion King
01-08-2009, 17:57
I have no favorites, I like each one for a specific reason.

Bobs cuz its cool and a great rest before the last leg to D-town. and if you havent been there for one of his Celtic meals, youve missed out.

Bremaer is cool, but pricey.

Curtis place cuz its a great MTN feel (Since Mamas is gone) and he has frozen pizzas and you can get a shower right out of the smokies.

Miss Janet cuz Breakfast, Q&A and Johnson City Lights...or whatever the redneck bar we go to is.

I stay in Jeffs place if I stay anywhere in Damascus, or wanderers.

DWG is nice on Thursdays

The Vernon hostel is awesome

The 12 tribes hostel is cool as it is in Ruthland and cheaper then Long Trail Inn, which I love too cuz of beer and good times.

Hikers Welcome cuz Packrats one of my best friends for years.

Pretty much all of them north of there (Save one in Gorham) because Im usually wet hungry and in need of a shower no matter where I am in North NH or Maine.

adn whichever ones I am leaving out, you guys rock as well...been about 3 years since I hiked on the AT so maybe thinigs have changed.

Red Hat
01-08-2009, 18:06
Funny how perceptions of the same place can be so different to different people.

Miss Janet a "hippy?"

Believe me, I know all about hipppies.

Janet ain't a hippie.

For one thing, she washes regularly. Hey I didn't say she was a hippy, I said the place was hippy like - like a 70s commune. And I should know, cause I was one! (and I did wash, too)

Bucky Katt
01-08-2009, 18:12
Tater (a/k/a BackpackerBryan) and I spent a nice evening at the Mountain Harbor's Hostel near Carvers Gap...We drank sparkling wine and watched t.v. as it poured outside :) We were warm and toasty and happy. That is the only hostel I've ever stayed in except for Dave's Place. I prefer to be in the woods.....normally.

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2009, 18:23
???

Red Hat
01-08-2009, 18:27
How could I have missed Hiker's Welcome in my list?!? Sorry Phat Chap and Pack Rat! Great place, a little "hippie feeling" goin on there too.

Ozzieninja
01-08-2009, 18:40
Chets place in Lincoln NH hands down! Chet was one of the coolest people I met on trail just laid back and accepting of everyone. Too many other hostel owners bash other hikers or just have too much drama not to mention its their buisness thats probably why... (plus the vape..ha if you went there you know)

I also enjoyed the church hostel in pearisburg...the town sucked and I had to walk all the way there but its a little "HGTV" cabin with a wood stove and it was just peaceful and rustic ..yet perfect.

Others to mention..bunnys hostel which is fairly new I enjoyed cause she knows whats up and she was just there to help in anyway. Of course the mayors house is a must stop, love how they are always talking **** and bull****ing. Standing bear...Curtis was a riot and rockhound how are you posting on whiteblaze? Arn't you playing like 5 poker tables right now?

Bearpaw88
01-08-2009, 19:20
I Love the Hikers Welcome. A bit rustic, a little hippyish, and a great place to relax.
I am bias as rockhound is, since I volunteered there for 3 months this summer.
What I like about any hostel is the attitudes of the people running it. That is why Kincora, Standing Bear, and the Hikers Welcome are so great.
LW, I like beer and being away from hikers sometimes too, but I will retreat to a hotel when I need that.
P.S. rockhound your fire pit is still well and still being enjoyed!

:sun

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 19:29
I Love the Hikers Welcome. A bit rustic, a little hippyish, and a great place to relax.
I am bias as rockhound is, since I volunteered there for 3 months this summer.
What I like about any hostel is the attitudes of the people running it. That is why Kincora, Standing Bear, and the Hikers Welcome are so great.
LW, I like beer and being away from hikers sometimes too, but I will retreat to a hotel when I need that.
P.S. rockhound your fire pit is still well and still being enjoyed!

:sun
Good to hear. Do you stll plan on hiking this year?

earlyriser26
01-08-2009, 19:32
Had a great time at the place near Kincora. We took the side trail (old A.T.) down past Coon Den Falls. Forget the name of it, but I remember the pizza we ordered from the pay phone was great.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 19:40

Bremaer is cool, but pricey.

$15 for bunk, $20 for private room ain't "pricey"

A-Train
01-08-2009, 19:42
$15 for bunk, $20 for private room ain't "pricey"

No, but compared to $4 anything is expensive.

Blissful
01-08-2009, 20:20
The Cabin in Me because Honey and Bear are awesome hosts with the greatest food feasts alive. And they will do anything for you. Hope they will reopen one day, esp by 2011. :)

Kincora - Bob just genuinely loves hikers and has great ideas for shuttling, how to do your hike.

Ozzieninja
01-08-2009, 20:33
Totally forgot the Andover guest house...great people and when the other hostel fills and turns away people in the rain (understandable) the guest house gives you a discount and puts you on the couches floors, wherever. The toga party was going great till a certain someone dropped my bat off the deck...warraghiyagey! haha no worries. I also enjoyed white birches campground in Gorham NH. They built a bunk house above the store...really nice people running it, they told us about a nice trail that leads to an awesome cliff jump on property. Cheapest place a litttle out of town though but they had a bouncy hut....what other hostel has a bouncy hut!?

putts
01-08-2009, 21:10
Lakeshore House in Monson. Shared or private rooms, bar downstairs with great food, free kayak/canoe use, laundrymat, coin op shower if youre not staying the night, dog friendly, next door to post office, weekly bluegrass jams at Monson General Store. When I came out of the 100 mile wild this place was like heaven. BUT you cant beat breakfast around the block at Shaws. The owners Jeff and Rebekah are some of the nicest you'll ever meet.

Serial 07
01-08-2009, 21:14
1. Bird Cage - rob is an amazing human...
2. The Mayor's - the mayor is an amazing human...
3. Sutton's - as long as it's open, i'm gonna stop in hampton...

Jim Adams
01-09-2009, 01:41
Kincora and Bob are great but crowded.

Miss Janet, what can I say. She's like my little sister with a heart of gold.

My favorite though was Shaw's...but that was because of Keith and I had been there on both hikes. Shaw's was one of the few hostels avilable on my first hike. He was an incredible man and you could see alot of his traits passed on to young Keith. I'm sure that if I do another thru that it won't be the same. I just sit and think of conversations with him....he is missed.

BTW, is Gull Pond still open in Rangely? I stayed there for 2 nights awaiting pack parts. Nice man, very helpful.

geek

Serial 07
01-09-2009, 02:01
miss janet's was too full when i rolled thru there, but she is a wonderful person and should be supported to the fullest...and elmers has been booked once in advance for a wedding and once for a birthday or some crap like that the days i've been in town...but the 3B i would add to the list is woods hole...good people...

Sly
01-09-2009, 02:18
The only time I stayed at Standing Bear it was in a private room. Is that gone now?

BTW, all the places I've stayed have been great. Sure some may not have all the conveniences, or crowded, or this and that, but I learned early on, sometimes you have to roll with what you got.

Grampie
01-09-2009, 10:29
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Rusty's. You guys are hurting his feelings.;)

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 12:46
Anyone know the status of cloud9? Will they be open this year and if so whose running it?

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 12:48
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Rusty's. You guys are hurting his feelings.;)
had a great time at Rusty's. A little far off the trail though.

Red Hat
01-09-2009, 13:03
Seems to me it is about a mile walk, lots closer than most hostels are!

Bigglesworth
01-09-2009, 13:12
Glad someone mentioned Chet's. Cool experience, great guy. I liked many of the hostels mentioned, but I'd add Cloud 9, too. Not getting much mention here, but I really liked it, and it was a well-needed and fun stop early in my hike.

Chets place in Lincoln NH hands down! Chet was one of the coolest people I met on trail just laid back and accepting of everyone. Too many other hostel owners bash other hikers or just have too much drama not to mention its their buisness thats probably why... (plus the vape..ha if you went there you know)

I also enjoyed the church hostel in pearisburg...the town sucked and I had to walk all the way there but its a little "HGTV" cabin with a wood stove and it was just peaceful and rustic ..yet perfect.

Others to mention..bunnys hostel which is fairly new I enjoyed cause she knows whats up and she was just there to help in anyway. Of course the mayors house is a must stop, love how they are always talking **** and bull****ing. Standing bear...Curtis was a riot and rockhound how are you posting on whiteblaze? Arn't you playing like 5 poker tables right now?

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 13:15
maybe its just because I missed his drive my 1st time there and added about a mile to my hike.

Cool AT Breeze
01-09-2009, 13:30
Glad someone mentioned Chet's. Cool experience, great guy. I liked many of the hostels mentioned, but I'd add Cloud 9, too. Not getting much mention here, but I really liked it, and it was a well-needed and fun stop early in my hike.
Don't know for sure but it might be closed.

Lybarger
01-09-2009, 13:58
Loved The Free State Hostel in Maryland!!! Bonepak runs a great place.

Sly
01-09-2009, 15:21
Anyone know the status of cloud9? Will they be open this year and if so whose running it?

I recently heard that Laura and Frank sold the property and it will not be a hostel any longer.

It's about 2.5 miles from Maupin Field Shelter to Rusty's.

MOWGLI
01-09-2009, 15:26
I enjoyed the church hostel in Pearisburg. Is it still open for hikers?

MOWGLI
01-09-2009, 15:28
I also enjoyed the Pie Lady in Monson in 2000. But she is long closed.

Pirate
01-09-2009, 15:39
Cloud nine is closed. They couldn't make their montly payments. No money in hostels for hikers!!!

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 15:41
The only time I stayed at Standing Bear it was in a private room. Is that gone now?

BTW, all the places I've stayed have been great. Sure some may not have all the conveniences, or crowded, or this and that, but I learned early on, sometimes you have to roll with what you got.
You were probably here at the right time and had the cabin all to yourself. In thru-hiker season be prepared to share. The cabin sleeps 6. two queen sized beds and two twin size beds up in the loft. It has a gas fireplace that keeps it nice and cozy on cold nights.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 15:47
Cloud nine is closed. They couldn't make their montly payments. No money in hostels for hikers!!!
Sorry to hear that. Had a great time while I was there. Just a thought, is Miss Janice looking for a place to reopen? Miss Janet + Cloud9. Now that would be something special.

RITBlake
01-09-2009, 16:16
Miss Janet's House was the best ...

Yup. Agreed.

Frick Frack
01-09-2009, 16:28
These are the few that went out of their way for us...

Shaw's
Mountain Harbor
Elmer's
(we did not stay at Kincora...we missed out)

Sly
01-09-2009, 16:35
You were probably here at the right time and had the cabin all to yourself. In thru-hiker season be prepared to share. The cabin sleeps 6. two queen sized beds and two twin size beds up in the loft. It has a gas fireplace that keeps it nice and cozy on cold nights.

I was in a cabin across from the hostel. As far as I can recall it only had one double bed. Probably your place now.

This place?

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 17:13
I was in a cabin across from the hostel. As far as I can recall it only had one double bed. Probably your place now.

This place?
Yep that's it. When did you hike? Cabin porch has a roof now and AT symbols are built into the railings. Neat to see an old picture. And no, its not my place. Is, was and always will be Curtis and Marias. I just help out.

Serial 07
01-09-2009, 17:48
chet's is a great place...i hope it ain't closed...man, there are a lot of great places to stay...lots of great people to meet!

DavidNH
01-09-2009, 17:54
There are some good candidates for this title. I might have stayed at Kincora on my trip but it was full. Shaws was also very good.. mostly for the wonderful food. But I think All in all, I will give the prize to Elmer's Sunnybank Inn. Right on the trail, very good eating (even if it is vegetarian), convenient to everything, friendly, and you have the run of a whole house!. Plus it was only around 15 a night!

DavidNH

Moe
01-09-2009, 23:18
Though I only made it from katahdin to rutland, VA I was amazed by the hospitality of the hostels. My two favorites had to be the Andover guest house and Chets in Lincoln NH. I have to applaude the guest house with their hospitality. Me and 5 other hikers got turned away from the other hostel in Andover, but luckily got picked up by the guest house. What a fantastic owner.

And I can't even begin to say how awesome chets place was. Such an amazing person. Such an amazing story. And that vape. He even went as far as to say that if I wanted to move back up to Lincoln he'd have a room for me. Great guy. I wouldn't be too surprised if he's closing down. I saw a few hikers taking advantage of him, whether it was intentional or not.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2009, 08:19

rusty's ain't a very welcoming place

TOW
01-10-2009, 08:23
Even though it is not a hostel, my favorite place to stay is Elmers........

RITBlake
01-10-2009, 12:23
Even though it is not a hostel, my favorite place to stay is Elmers........

I had a totally different experience at Elmers. Great location, seemed like a nice guy, but it was just the two of us in the hostel, so it felt pretty empty and we only saw Elmer once or twice. I do regret not having the veggie dinner.

Wonder
01-10-2009, 13:00
I've said it before, and I"ll say it again. I Love Standing Bear Farm! I've enjoyed stays at other hostels...particulary Miss Janets, and Kincora.....but I LOVE the Rustic feel of SBF! Grab a cold bear out of the creek and chill out around a fire....play horse shoes.....the people there are awesome! Just my kinda place.....it's always hard to leave

Bearpaw
01-10-2009, 13:16
I enjoyed Kincora quite a bit, and I've loved the visits I've had at Standing Bear.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Barn in Gorham, NH. I loved hanging out there before entering Maine.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2009, 13:29
mountain crossings,the hike inn(not a hostel),miss J's,kincora,daves place,troutdale church hostel,woodshole,st. thomas episcopal church hostel,tom levardi(not a hostel) & rob(birdcage)hikers welcome hostel,shaws!!! i haven't stayed at to many other hostels, but these hostels i listed were great because of the owner/operators of the hostels. without them i'd just as soon stay in a motel

KG4FAM
01-10-2009, 17:28
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Barn in Gorham, NH. I loved hanging out there before entering Maine.Who was running it then. A guy that goes by "Doc" is there now and all he is concerned about is making sure he has your money. I have stayed there three times and every time I was there I got that same vibe from him. When I was there this summer one of the girls that he hires to do all the work for the B&B was running it for a few days while he was away. She pretty much harrassed a hiker I was there with because she got confused about who had already paid and who had not. She wasn't exactly yelling at this person, but the tone was extremely strong. From what I hear it was the place to be back in the day, now White Birches is starting to fill that role.

Bearpaw
01-10-2009, 18:02
Who was running it then. A guy that goes by "Doc" is there now and all he is concerned about is making sure he has your money. I have stayed there three times and every time I was there I got that same vibe from him. When I was there this summer one of the girls that he hires to do all the work for the B&B was running it for a few days while he was away. She pretty much harrassed a hiker I was there with because she got confused about who had already paid and who had not. She wasn't exactly yelling at this person, but the tone was extremely strong. From what I hear it was the place to be back in the day, now White Birches is starting to fill that role.

I was there in '99 and it was really cool, very mellow. Spent a great couple of zero days there while it poured rain outside.

Jack Tarlin
01-10-2009, 18:05
You are correct. In the late nineties, it was a very cool place for hikers to stay.

These days many prudent hikers opt for a motel.

Venture
01-10-2009, 19:04
Cloud 9 was my personal favorite...great food, cool bath robes, boobies, and just flat out fun!

saimyoji
01-10-2009, 19:19
I vote for Stempa's at Smith Gap, PA. You got a free shower, you got a free spigot for water, you can shoot your guns off in his backyard, and he's a famous trail angel / maintainer....he's even got a spring named after himself. :clap

Lone Wolf
01-11-2009, 11:37
famous? never heard of him

saimyoji
01-11-2009, 11:51
famous? never heard of him

sure you have, he's rubbed elbows with all the trail legends. just ask him.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=3529

Lone Wolf
01-11-2009, 11:55
oh. him. whoopee! :rolleyes:

Sly
01-11-2009, 12:03
Yep that's it. When did you hike? Cabin porch has a roof now and AT symbols are built into the railings. Neat to see an old picture. And no, its not my place. Is, was and always will be Curtis and Marias. I just help out.

I've hiked a few years. I think I was there in 2005 in August after doing the Smokies.

I knew Standing Bear wasn't your place. I meant do you, as caretaker, stay in the cabin.

It's a picture from the website.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

whitelightning
01-11-2009, 13:39
Despite Shaw's reputation, I decided to stay the Lakeshore House in Monson. One of the best places I stayed. Rebecca was awesome. She was willing to go out her way to help. Everything you need is right there. Restaurant with beer and great food, clean rooms, laundry, internet, and all the other stuff most hikers need/want. Kayaks are available to take out on Lake Hebron which set it apart from the other hostels I stayed at.

Sly
01-11-2009, 13:59
Y'all can argue what a hostel is but, one that hasn't been mentioned is Upper Goose Pond Cabin. That place was awesome.

Jeff
01-11-2009, 17:37
Not sure who moderates the articles here on Whiteblaze, but the article regarding Hostels is a bit dated with Miss Janets and 4 Pines Hostel both listed.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=hostels

Almost There
01-11-2009, 21:20
Miss J's will always have a place in my heart. I have to say I enjoyed White House Landing this summer. It was a welcome escape from the Mosquitoes, and the 1lb burgers, pizzas, and pancake breakfasts were all awesome! They also carry plenty to resupply the rest of the way through the Wilderness. Enjoyed my zero with a little kayaking out on the lake. Highly recommend it to anyone going through the Wilderness.

Rockhound
01-11-2009, 22:14
I've hiked a few years. I think I was there in 2005 in August after doing the Smokies.

I knew Standing Bear wasn't your place. I meant do you, as caretaker, stay in the cabin.

It's a picture from the website.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/
No. The cabin is for hikers. They have a cage for me out back. Only let me out to do my chores and come on White Blaze.

Screech
01-11-2009, 23:49
I was a budget hiker so I didn't stay in Hostel's often but the ones I liked the most were

The Bird Cage( I spent 6 days there waiting for Gregory to screw up royally then fix the problem)
Chet's Place(whats this talk of closed, he said he was trying to go another few years)
The Outhouse(Those 3 guys are something special)
Rustys

Thats as far south as I have been

Dogwood
01-12-2009, 02:53
Give kudos by all means, but honestly, trying to nail down one hostel as a favorite is just not possible for me. There R way too many great AT hostels, hostels visited by AT hikers that deserve mention, and GREAT people associated with hostels that it hardly seems fair to single one out.

Dogwood
01-12-2009, 02:56
No. The cabin is for hikers. They have a cage for me out back. Only let me out to do my chores and come on White Blaze.

That's good! LOL. GRRR!

The Mechanical Man
01-12-2009, 05:15
sure you have, he's rubbed elbows with all the trail legends. just ask him.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=3529

For one thing, you don't really know what you are talking about. You were never here at my place in Smith Gap Pa.

We have had lots of nice folks for 20 years visit with us.
I have been helping hikers for 20 years, and maintaining the AT in our area, I never met you.

FYI, my home is NOT a HOSTEL.

Get your act together, and maybe someday you can be a trail legend too.

Grampie
01-12-2009, 14:25
Y'all can argue what a hostel is but, one that hasn't been mentioned is Upper Goose Pond Cabin. That place was awesome.

I wouldn't consider the cabin at Upper Goose Pond a true hostel any more than you could say any AT shelter is a hostel.
It is a very nice place to stop when on the AT in Mass. Located on a beautiful pond with great swimming. It is a cabin owned by the NPS and administered by volunteers from the Birkshire branch of the AMC. It offers a fully inclosed cabin with livingroom, kitchen, covered porch and a bunk room on the second floor.
When it's open, hiking season, it has a resident caretaker who will make you pancakes and coffee in the morning. Hostles charge for your stay. The cabin at UGP does not charge but accepts donations.
In my estimation it's the best deal on the whole AT.:)

A-Train
01-12-2009, 14:37
I wouldn't consider the cabin at Upper Goose Pond a true hostel any more than you could say any AT shelter is a hostel.
It is a very nice place to stop when on the AT in Mass. Located on a beautiful pond with great swimming. It is a cabin owned by the NPS and administered by volunteers from the Birkshire branch of the AMC. It offers a fully inclosed cabin with livingroom, kitchen, covered porch and a bunk room on the second floor.
When it's open, hiking season, it has a resident caretaker who will make you pancakes and coffee in the morning. Hostles charge for your stay. The cabin at UGP does not charge but accepts donations.

Yeah, excellent experience there. Caretaker was great. It's nice not to fuss with "town" hostels sometimes, no chores or busyness. Just hang in the woods and relax.

Sly
01-12-2009, 14:50

Yeah, well that's why I said you can argue what a hostel is. I don't know too many shelters that are actually cabins with beds, ask for donations or cook pancakes. ;)

RITBlake
01-12-2009, 17:50
Yeah, well that's why I said you can argue what a hostel is. I don't know too many shelters that are actually cabins with beds, ask for donations or cook pancakes. ;)

That's what I was thinking. During a section hike in 2004 I got roped in to taking some 40 odd empty plastic jugs in to the canoe, across the lake, to a clean spring and filling them up.

Kind of fun actually, and we were happy to help out.

earthbound
01-12-2009, 23:06
The Hiker Hostel- Josh and Leigh are awesome and the hostel is so clean!
Kincorra because of Bob Peoples and Hardcore. Lovely waterfall nearby that Bob will tell you how to find.
Mountain Harbour- best breakfast on the trail HANDS DOWN.
Apple House in Damascus- not a hostel- but I was sick and the owner was a saint.
The Mayor- what a guy. seriously. So incredibly generous
Chet's house
The Jailhouse in Palmerton- best showers on the trail.
12 Tribes- interesting conversation
Hikers Welcome
Shaws
Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket.

More than one favorite, but all awesome. Not all are hostels either, but whatever,

Sly
01-12-2009, 23:54
Where's the Mayor's? I don't think that was around when I hiked.

Lybarger
01-13-2009, 08:36
I have heard very good reports about Green Mountain House in Vermont. Anyone stay there?

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 09:24
I have heard very good reports about Green Mountain House in Vermont. Anyone stay there?
How could I forget Green Mountain House? Stayed there when I was sectioning last year. Fantastic hostel. Ranks right up there with the best of em'.

Alligator
01-13-2009, 12:04
Where's the Mayor's? I don't think that was around when I hiked.It might be Unionville.

tiptoe
01-13-2009, 14:00
I stayed at Green Mountain House (Manchester, VT) last summer. Five stars, for sure.

Ox97GaMe
01-20-2009, 22:16
I was going to put together my top 10, but had a hard time getting past 8. Here they are, and the reasons they make my list.

1) Kincora. Bob is probably the biggest example of trail people you will ever meet. Although the 'fee' for the hostel stay is optional and a 'recommended' $4, I have met very few people that have given much more. It is like being home for most hikers when they are there. For a long time (late 90s), it was the trail infirmery. Almost every hiker was ailing from foot, knee, or back issues when they got to this point.

2) The Cabin. Honey and Bear have become very dear friends of mine, although I didnt stay with them on my thru hike. It is again another place that just feels like home when you arrive.

3) Blueberry Patch. When I hiked in 97, this was my first stop and working beside Gary in the garden that afternoon reminded me of my childhood with my grandparents. The hostel only accomodates about a dozen, which is just about the right size for a down home, friendly environment.

4) Standing Bear Farm. I liked the rustic setting. It is like taking a step back into early 1900's America. Curtis has added modern amenities since he first opened, but there is history there and the surrounding area, if you take the time to observe/notice it.

5) Rusty's Hard Time Hollow. Hiking the trail takes us back to the simpler things in life in so many ways. And it doesnt get any simplier than at Rusty's. No running water, electricity, or internet. It is like being at a luxury style shelter with most of the amenities that you cant find in the woods.

6) The Barn (Gorham). I think this place has since closed, or is under new mgmt, but I absolutely loved my stays there in 97, 98, and 99. The long, hot soak in the claw foot tub was a bit of heaven after hiking through the remnants of hurricane Dennis.

7) Shaw's. Old man Shaw could sure tell some stories. Im really gonna miss him on my next thru hike. It wont seem the same without sitting at the table, remembering the 'good ole days'.

8) Elmer's. I love American history, and the old Victorian house has plenty of that. Elmer has added a pretty extensive of early period books and it is always a pleasure sitting down and listening to his stories.

*** My best off trail night stay was actually at a local farmhouse in Virginia. When I got to that road crossing, the new style into the farmers pasture had been improperly done. I spent the better part of an hour helping the farmer and his wife round up the herd and fix the style. I was rewarded with a wonderful home cooked dinner and breakfast as well as an evening of sitting on the porch, listening to the farmer play the harmonica and trading stories.

Serial 07
01-20-2009, 22:27
it's in unionville, NY...i met him when he pulled up in his blue ford focus and asked me, nice and suess if, "you bastards were coming over for dinner?"...the mayor (and crew) are top shelf guys...

Johnny Thunder
01-21-2009, 02:27
How could I forget Green Mountain House? Stayed there when I was sectioning last year. Fantastic hostel. Ranks right up there with the best of em'.

Did you watch "Cloverfield" while you were there? I mean, they only had 2 DVDs so it was either that, "Cutting Edge", or the Olympics. Anyway, I saw the hot chick from Cloverfield the other day on Hudson St. Told her I was rooting for a building to fall on her.

She laughed.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 11:04
Did you watch "Cloverfield" while you were there? I mean, they only had 2 DVDs so it was either that, "Cutting Edge", or the Olympics. Anyway, I saw the hot chick from Cloverfield the other day on Hudson St. Told her I was rooting for a building to fall on her.

She laughed.
I actually was the one who bought cloverfield and donated it to the hostel.

tiptoe
01-21-2009, 11:23
I watched the Olympics into the wee hours at Green Mountain House.

Kanati
01-21-2009, 11:59
As I've read thru all of the postings to this thread I've given some thought to the question, "what's your favorite hostel and why"? I am sure that many of the owners of the hostels all up and down the trail probably read WB. I want to say to them that, you all, I mean all, are wonderful. You provide a place of rest and warmth to weary hikers when they need it the most, and you do it cheerfully. You do it for very little pay. Wonder how many hikers short change Curtiss at Standing Bears honor system of paying? The amount of work you hostel owners put into it far exceeds the money you receive from it. I Applaud you and thank you !!! I believe most of us feel the same.

I guess for me, my favorite would be Maria McCAbe's in Salisbury, CT. My stay there was not planned. I was having a really down day when I walked into Falls River Village, VT. Lyme Disease was working on me. I was looking for a place to eat but the town was closed, all except the liquor store and garage. I bought a couple of beers, some nabs and walked across the street to that large old house that was a restruarant, (check my spelling LW), After sitting on the porch a few minutes, the lady from the liquor store came over and sat down. She ask if I had plans for staying that night. I must have looked awful. I told her probably in my tent some place. She said she had a friend in Salisbury, (the next town up the trail), that let hikers stay at her home for very little cost. So she call her friend Maria who said she would pick me up at the road crossing.

To make the story brief, Maria picked me up in her car, carried me to her home, gave me a snack and soda, loaned me some clothes after I had my shower, shuttled me to the laundry and pizza shop where I bought us dinner and I met the very nice local people who own the pizza shop. Then she carried me to the grocery store for resupply. We even went to the cemetary to see her husbands and boy friends graves, which are side by side I might add. Maria is a very funny lady with a beautiful Dutch/German accent and lots of stories. We sat out back of her home in the evening and her semi-wild fox came up for supper. Maria feeds her raw chicken which she carries to her litter of kits under the barn.

The next morning I cooked my breakfast in her kitchen from the food she provided before leaving. Thanks Maria you are my favorite.

Happy hiking. :sun

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2009, 16:59
Kanati:

Very cool story. I hope I get to meet Maria next time I pass thru Salisbury.

Oh, other little known fact: Salisbury has one the most charming, and also one of the friendliest Public Libraries on the Trail.

Lots of folks find the Connecticut Trail towns to be sort of hoity-toity and cold.

I don't really think this is the case.

Well, Kent, maybe. :D

Lone Wolf
01-21-2009, 17:02
Kent is a lot friendlier and less hoity toity than Hanover by far.:)

Tin Man
01-21-2009, 18:12
I am friendly too. ;)

Tin Man
01-21-2009, 18:15
it's in unionville, NY...i met him when he pulled up in his blue ford focus and asked me, nice and suess if, "you bastards were coming over for dinner?"...the mayor (and crew) are top shelf guys...

I understand The Mayor did a feed last year during peak hiker season.

Marta
01-21-2009, 20:46
Thanks for the story about Maria McCabe! She is a wonderful woman.

Re: her accent

She is from the Tirol, that area of northern Italy that butts up against Austria. People there speak a dialect that is neither Italian nor German, but has elements of both.

Kanati
01-21-2009, 23:32
Thanks for the story about Maria McCabe! She is a wonderful woman.

Re: her accent

She is from the Tirol, that area of northern Italy that butts up against Austria. People there speak a dialect that is neither Italian nor German, but has elements of both.

She is sweet and accomodating. I have her picture in my trail jounal,
www.trailjournals.com/kanati

Screech
01-22-2009, 12:29
Lots of folks find the Connecticut Trail towns to be sort of hoity-toity and cold.

Coming through Kent 4 hippies picked me up at the grocery store and dropped me back off at the trailhead. They asked me about my budget on the trail and I told them how tight I had to run my ship. They chipped in and gave me 20.

When I arrived at the shelter I found another hiker from Ohio named Nomad. After our initial greeting and happiness to run back in to each other he explains that him and Bearfoot also were given 20 dollars a piece by someone else.

So I am partial to Kent. I also bashed my first half gallon there. Along with a 2 liter of root beer.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 12:31
Coming through Kent 4 hippies picked me up at the grocery store and dropped me back off at the trailhead. They asked me about my budget on the trail and I told them how tight I had to run my ship. They chipped in and gave me 20.

When I arrived at the shelter I found another hiker from Ohio named Nomad. After our initial greeting and happiness to run back in to each other he explains that him and Bearfoot also were given 20 dollars a piece by someone else.

So I am partial to Kent. I also bashed my first half gallon there. Along with a 2 liter of root beer.

dude. them was rich pseudo-hippies. real hippies died out in the earl 70s

garlic08
01-22-2009, 12:40
Oh, other little known fact: Salisbury has one the most charming, and also one of the friendliest Public Libraries on the Trail.

I didn't find it to be the case, either, but I didn't bother going to Kent (heard too many "Stepford Wives" stories). Just over the border into CT I met my best trail angel ever. And Salisbury was one of my favorite towns, great library, and the hotel (White Horse?) there had a great hiker deal and they bent the rules for us for early check-in and they really didn't have to. Very friendly place overall.

GGS2
01-22-2009, 12:40
Nah. We just went underground.

Screech
01-28-2009, 11:44

Ok. 4 rich organic farmers(their actual occupation) who wear corduroy and goofy hats gave me 20 bucks.

mikec
02-14-2009, 18:06
I have very fond memories of Kincora Hostel when I stayed there in 1999. Bob was a fantastic host. A thru hiker named Thor cooked local trout and corn for all of for dinner. Then the next morning, Baltimore Jack cooked a fantastic breakfast with eggs, toast, fruit, pancakes, waffles and a bunch of other stuff. Those were some of the best meals that I have had on the trail.

mixinmaster
03-04-2009, 19:24
Hiker Hostel. Lee and Josh are saints to many hikers getting started and needing help with a shuttle. A great way to start your hike and be fresh and ready for the journey.

To judge the best is so hard. Depends on when you got there, how much help you needed, etc...
For the price this place was an absolute steal....... Beautiful house, great people!

El Toro '94
06-14-2009, 23:29
My favorite was one of the frat houses at Dartmouth, but I forget which one. Lots of free beer, pool tables, poker, free of charge, and all of Hanover next door. Alas, I hear most of the frats are no longer hosting thru-hikers anymore, so I guess I'll have to cross Hanover off my list as my favorite place for R&R.
Other than that, I'll take Pine Ellis in Andover, with Shaw's and the Holy Family church barn in Pearisburg running tied for second.

ShelterLeopard
06-14-2009, 23:44
My two favorite (for different reasons) are Shaw's in Monson, and the Jail Hostel in Palmerton. Shaw's, because the people were great, it was comfortable (the beds and the shower), and the breakfast was very good- company and food. The town was also great- the general store was very nice. Jail hostel, because the bunk room was very much appreciated after a wet week and the company was very good. (It isn't actually a jail, just the cement basement of the municipal building) It was bare, but I was fine with that. And Bert's across the street was the best breakfast (a fifties style diner). And the grocery store had everything you could need.

Lybarger
12-10-2009, 14:02
Just talked with the folks at Hiker Hostel. They seem to know whats right and do it all. Four stars !!!!!

BooBoo
12-11-2009, 23:00
The Barn,Kincora, The Cabin.

white_russian
12-11-2009, 23:05
I stayed at Mason Hill in Cheshire, MA this past summer and it was great. A bit pricey at $25 but the place was top notch. Down comforters and bath robes and a extremely peaceful setting.

weary
12-11-2009, 23:20
The Barn,Kincora, The Cabin.
All greart places. I have an especial fondness for the Cabin. But my special place remains Rusty's, located just south of Shenendoah National Park.

Weary

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-19-2009, 07:11
I'm still a big fan of Elmer's "Sunnybank Inn" in Hot Springs - but Bob Peoples still remains the "Moses" of his part of the trail!

nopain
12-19-2009, 09:54
they all do the same...... take care of us ........so in my book none are better than another............

canoehead
12-19-2009, 10:50
Upper Goose Pond. Just Cuz.

Just Dan
12-19-2009, 11:49
Sunnybank Inn.

weary
12-19-2009, 11:55
The Cabin in Maine (currently closed though)

But enjoyed Kincora very much as well. Bob is a super human being.

The Cabin reopened in midsummer 2009 because the other hostels in Andover were running out of space and hikers needed a place to stay. When I talked to Marge and Earle at Thanksgiving, next year plans were a little indefinite, but they sounded to me like they were very likely to be back in business in 2010.

Running a hostel involves a lot of time, constant pressures, and a few worries. But Marge has been an avid hiker her entire life. She enjoys meeting and talking with young people and hikers in general.

Weary

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-19-2009, 23:55
Is it true that the trees just part for Bob on their own when he's doing trail work?

warraghiyagey
12-20-2009, 01:45
The Cabin reopened in midsummer 2009 because the other hostels in Andover were running out of space and hikers needed a place to stay. enjoys meeting and talking with young people and hikers in general.

Weary
I can attest to this. . . it was so rainy and folks were more apt to duck off the trail, I'd always stayed at Pine Ellis but they were full so we got the last 2 beds at the Guest House and there was literally no room at the Inns in Andover. . . what a rainy summer. . .

10-K
12-21-2009, 18:03
Also not a hostel but one of the most interesting places I've stayed is the Doyle (on July 4th no less).

mweinstone
12-21-2009, 18:07
i like the hostel at lwolfs house. it just opened and its free cleen and all you can eat all the time. 24 hours!

Pacific Tortuga
12-21-2009, 18:09
i like the hostel at lwolfs house. it just opened and its free cleen and all you can eat all the time. 24 hours!

you forgot free beer too.

mweinstone
12-21-2009, 18:13
no. aint no drinkin allowed at lwolfs brand spanking new shinny food filled 24 hour hostel. but i hear its comming soon.

Graywolf
12-21-2009, 22:37
My favorite hostel is, well, a hostel..Anywhere I can get a day off from respite of the trail.. just relax with good ole' folk...

Just my 2 cents...

Oh, since Neels Gap is the only place I have stayed at I have got to say, Walasi-yi,, Cool Breez and Pirate really make you feel at home..

Graywolf

mweinstone
12-21-2009, 22:44
i like hostel . this planet has alot.

mweinstone
12-21-2009, 22:45
dont make hostel.

mweinstone
12-21-2009, 22:46
make love stel.

stellla!

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 11:37
In the south, in terms of being a nice place to stay, Cloud 9 was the nicest. In terms of the cool places to stay. I wont include Ron Haven just because they arent hostels. But Rons has to be included in the list
1. Standing Bear (just cuz its always fun to hang with Curtis)
2. Kincora (cant beat the treehouse)

Up north, hands down nicest place to stay is Green Mountain House in Manchester.
Chets Place is a fun fun place to stay and convenient
And Glencliff, one of the coolest places to stay!!!

warraghiyagey
12-22-2009, 11:39
I wont include Ron Haven just because they arent hostels. But Rons has to be included in the list

You sond confused. . . and confusing. . .

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 12:21
You sond confused. . . and confusing. . .

I meant that Rons places are motels, not hostels but he should definitely be mentioned because its Ron and he is a great guy

rpenczek
12-31-2009, 11:08
I have only stayed at two hostels along the trail and liked them both for their own reasons. My Boy Scouts found them quite interesting as well.

We stayed at Kincora the night before our hike began and Bob shuttled us to Roan High Bluff to hike north. My Boys were a bit set back at first, but quickly warmed when they realized they could be setting up in the rain and beginning their trip with wet gear. Bob was fantastic. My Appalachian Pages (2008) was incorrect for the section just south of Kincora, so Bob loaned me his guide book. Bob also walked my Senior Patrol Leader (youth leader) through our entire trip pointing out spots for water and good campsites (we do not use shelters). My boys got to see someone who demonstrates Scout Spirit (friendly, courteous, kind, etc….) in his every actions like no other stranger they have ever met. We ended our hike at Kincora as well, the shower was great.

During our trip we also stayed at Mountain Harbor above the barn. We had planned to camp in the pasture, but, with all the rain, we rented the entire hostel for the night and stayed warm and dry. The boys really enjoyed soft beds, clean sheets, clean shower, clean, clean, clean (you get the picture).

I look forward to going back to both again some day.

rambunny
12-31-2009, 11:15
Alot of my time on trail (10,000 miles) was spent thinking about how i would set up a hostel if i had the opprotunity. The time came and fortunatley i could impliment it. I too didn't like sleeping on wood crammed in with snorers, i like my beer and ciggs,and i didn't want to be more tired when i left.So we have beds not bunks, 1 private room with big bed, 1 private room with big bed and a twin, another bedroom with Queen size and a twin, all with quilts pillows ect. A community room with games tv movies, a big bathroom with all products you could possibly need including medical. I do your laundry,we have an organized town run . Meals are very large and nutritious,we can accomodate vegitarians. 2 large porches (quiet and where people can smoke)A closet full of clothes so we can wash all you have, and a AT library. Some people would rather have caotic, we strive for rest, renewal, and relax. I've always enjoyed every hostel i've been to,some more than others. Now after doing this a year-i really appreciate all the efforts of everyone who helped me up the trail.

Rain Man
12-31-2009, 13:57
Alot of my time on trail (10,000 miles) was spent thinking about how i would set up a hostel if i had the opprotunity. The time came and fortunatley i could impliment it. ...

I can vouch for how Rambunny describes her place. Stopped by just to visit and see the place this fall with Fishbone on way to do a section hike further north. I definitely hope to stay there when I section hike through the Atkins area in 2010.

Other hostels I know about and like?
Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel - nice hostel in horse barn and GREAT breakfasts fit for a King in the B&B (in the house)
Kincora - Bob Peoples must be the nicest person on the trail (especially since Miss Janet doesn't currently have a hostel).
Dutch Haus - they give you NICE bath robes to wear as they wash your clothes AND the food is great to boot!

Rain:sunMan

Lybarger
02-26-2010, 12:15
Stopped at Dutch Haus last October while sectioning and was impressed with what they do for hikers. I will be back.

max patch
02-26-2010, 12:27
Favorite hostel? Thats easy...

Edgerton House, Hanover.
oops, closed due to inappropriate thru hiker behavior.

Zion Episcopal Church, Manchester Center.
oops, closed due to inappropriate thru hiker behavior.

Rainbow Springs Campground, Franklin.
oops, sold to land developer and closed.

The Old Church, Monson.
oops, closed and I don't know why.

Never mind; I'm skipping this question.

Doctari
02-27-2010, 20:37
My first ever hostel was the Yi at Neils gap, so it has a special place in my heart.

I had a great nero day at Buddy & Jensine's Rainbow Springs. Good Chili & fresh baked bread. I spent half the day sitting on the bank of the "River" with me feet in the water. It was also my first time meeting Pirate, and last time meeting him on the AT, although we have meet several times in Ohio at the renaissance fest.

I vote for Kincora also.

Visited but did not stay (was on my way home & stopped in) at the Blueberry patch. Seems a nice place.

I know this has high potential of getting me "burned" but I liked Uncle Johnnies in Erwin. Took a zero there, and stopped for the night on my way home.