PDA

View Full Version : A bit of Maine AT history

WalkinHome
01-07-2009, 22:02
In my capacity as the new historian for the MATC, I find that I am discovering very interesting and sometimes humerous stories/documents/correspondence etc. When the mood strikes me and I have the time to do so, I will share some of these with WB. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

August 2, 1947. John W. Clark to Avery
The paint blazes on the Grafton end are a little under sized and not too neatly made. This is the result of a shortage of paint and an excess of flies. It is possible to paint with flies in one or even both ears; it is possible to paint with flies in both ears and one eye; but when they are in both ears and both eyes, the artistry of the brush wielding suffers. I have never seen the black flies and deer flies so bad. They were materially worse than during the preceding weeks and nothing, including new dopes, had any discouraging effect.

woodsy
01-08-2009, 08:23
Thats a story that paints a picture, bad enough dealing with black flies while swinging a paint brush, add Deer flies to the scene and i'd have more paint on me than the trees.
Good stuff, anyone thats been in the woods during "bug season" knows how difficult simple tasks can be with hands and arms busy swinging.
Thanks for the humor

GMTMinusFive
01-08-2009, 09:54
New dopes?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 09:55
repellents

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2009, 10:02
There is something special about coming in contact with the distant past.

mudhead
01-08-2009, 14:37
I wonder if he was referencing "Woodsmans."

Nothing finer than deer flies.