PDA

View Full Version : I DARE You To Critique This

sleeman13
01-08-2009, 02:51
Here is my gear list. ALL suggestion are welcome on how to cut down on weight. One quick note-> I'm leaving March 20th and considering leaving the R4 Fleece at home and bring the Expedition Weight Long Underwear TOp in it's place.

Pack:
GG Vapor Trail - 2 lbs

Clothing:
Marmot Precip - 10 oz.
EMS Scout Pants
Patagonia R4 Lightweight Fleece
Underarmor Long Sleeve Shirt
LL Bean Long Underwear
LL Bean Coolmax T-Shirt (2)
LL Bean Long Underwear Top Expedition Weight
Smartwool Socks (2)
Liner Socks (2)
EMS Techwick Boxers (2)
Balaclava

Cooking:
MSR Whisperlite International - 14oz.
MSR 22 oz. Fuel Bottle
Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter - 11 oz.
Light My Fire Spork

Footwear:
The North Face Ultra 104 Trail Running Shoe

Guides:
ATC Guides and Maps (will prob. bring maps w/o guides to save weight)
ATC Thru-Hiker Companion

Other:
PETZL Headlamp - 2.75oz.
Pacerpoles Walking Poles
Canon Powershot SD1000
- 2 Batteries, Charger, 2 Memory Stick
Timex Expedition Camper Watch
Hand Sanitizer
Wal-Mart Dry Sack

Sleeping Gear:
EMS 20* Down Bag - 2lbs 2oz.
Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite - 15 oz.

Shelter:
MSR Hubba Tent - 2lbs. 13oz.

Gaiter
01-08-2009, 03:07
liner socks = don't need, if having trouble w/ blisters get body glide.
maps = i'm assuming you aren't bringing them all... if you really want to cut down on weight then you don't absolutely need these since you have the companion
sleeping = might want a liner bag for starting, depends on weather
rain cover?

sleeman13
01-08-2009, 03:17
i have a rain cover, forgot to add it.
as for the maps, i will just carry a few at a time, and mail the other when the time comes.

Gaiter
01-08-2009, 03:23
and the liner socks, i only point it out because i thought it was something i would need, but did better w/ body glide once i switched to it.... shoe fit is the ultimate blister reducer

Pokey2006
01-08-2009, 05:46
Take the fleece AND the long underwear shirt; the shirt for hiking in on cold days, the fleece for in camp/at night. Add a pair of very light fleece gloves.

You'll only need one t-shirt.

Consider switching to an alcohol stove. And don't forget your lighter!

Also consider ditching the water filter and using either iodine or Aqua Mira instead. Filters are heavy and bulky, plus very time-consuming.

Only bring the maps you need to get you to the next town; maildrop the rest.

You're missing a few key things that you'll probably need out there, such as:
--bear bagging rope (try lightweight Kelty triptease)
--toilet paper
--blister pads or moleskin
--Ibuprofen
--toothbrush and toothpaste

You might want to throw a couple of bandanas in the pack, too, for good measure.

buckwheat
01-08-2009, 08:08
You're missing a few key things that you'll probably need out there

This can't be your complete gear list. Is it?

There's no first aid or fire-making listed. Do you plan on wiping your behind (I see no toiletries to speak of)? You could be felled by something as simple as a shoelace break. (This sounds trivial, but if you are on a serious downhill, you could trash your toes this way.) You could carry a spare set of shoelaces.

Stove, fork, fuel ... but nothing to cook in? Headlamp ... are you carrying spare batteries for it (these are AAA, no)?

Is your pack waterproof? Are you sure? Because I'd bet it's not. Have you ever set it out, fully packed, for a few hours on a rainy day to see how it performs in the rain? You may find that even a pack cover is simply not enough protection, either, and that the contents are susceptible to moisture even with a pack cover. Are there some things in your pack that cannot, under any circumstances, get wet?

As to guides/maps ... If you have to leave one at home, I wonder if it would not be better to take the guide. You won't need maps for navigation in most instances.

Good start on a gear list ... but I don't think it can be considered complete unless you forgot to mention a lot of stuff.

flemdawg1
01-08-2009, 11:33
Gloves? I'd also switch the Whisperlite for a Pocket Rocket or a MYOG alcohol stove.

Unless you're suseptible to cold wet feet, I'd ditch the sock liners too. Trail runners shouldn't be nearly as likely to produce blisters as heavy boots.

Hooch
01-08-2009, 11:43
Pot to cook in?
Bowl to eat out of?
Packliner and/or pack cover?
First Aid kit?
Knife?
Something to carry water in?
Cordage?
Duct tape?
Bear bag?
Toilet paper?
Wallet/ID/Money/credit card/debit card?
Matches and/or lighter?
You'll probably need a sleeping bag liner for a little while.
Toothbrush/toothpaste?

Anyone else?

sleeman13
01-08-2009, 12:45
when i did this list i was over-tired, as you all can prob tell. I left out quite a few things. here is my reposted list.

Pack:
GG Vapor Trail - 2 lbs
Sea-To-Summit Pack Liner

Clothing:
Marmot Precip - 10 oz.
EMS Scout Pants
LL Bean Long Underwear
Smartwool Socks (2)
Liner Socks (2)
EMS Techwick Boxers (2)
Balaclava
Fleece Gloves
Bandana

Cooking:
MSR 22 oz. Fuel Bottle
Light My Fire Spork

Footwear:

Guides:
ATC Thru-Hiker Companion

Other:
PETZL Headlamp - 2.75oz.
Pacerpoles Walking Poles
Canon Powershot SD1000
Hand Sanitizer
Wal-Mart Dry Sack
First Aid Kit (w/ Duct Tape)
Rope
BIC Lighter
TP
Toothbrush/Toothpaste

Sleeping Gear:

Shelter:

Hooch
01-08-2009, 12:53
Ok, so what about:

Pot to cook in?
Bowl to eat out of?
Something to carry water in?
Knife?
Wallet/money/ID/credit card/debit card?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 12:56
Here is my gear list. ALL suggestion are welcome on how to cut down on weight. One quick note-> I'm leaving March 20th and considering leaving the R4 Fleece at home and bring the Expedition Weight Long Underwear TOp in it's place.

Pack:
GG Vapor Trail - 2 lbs

Clothing:
Marmot Precip - 10 oz.
EMS Scout Pants
LL Bean Long Underwear
Smartwool Socks (2)
Liner Socks (2)
EMS Techwick Boxers (2)
Balaclava

Cooking:
MSR 22 oz. Fuel Bottle
Light My Fire Spork

Footwear:

Guides:
ATC Thru-Hiker Companion

Other:
PETZL Headlamp - 2.75oz.
Pacerpoles Walking Poles
Canon Powershot SD1000
Hand Sanitizer
Wal-Mart Dry Sack

Sleeping Gear:

Shelter:

looks fine. nothing to critique. add and subtract stuff as you go

Many Walks
01-08-2009, 13:35
You may want a windscreen for your stove, plus the basics others have mentioned such as cook pot or mug, knife, etc. It's getting there, enjoy your hike!

kanga
01-08-2009, 13:44
keep the whisperlite for the beginning if you're not comfortable with an alkie stove so you won't have to worry about your fuel freezing up on you. around end of april switch it out for something smaller like a pocketrocket of superfly. ditch the guides, you won't need them. as for anything else, wolf's advice is right on. you'll learn what you forgot and what you don't need as you go. plus once it warms up you'll send some things home. also, i'd suggest a nalgene and a 2L bladder for the water and a good lightweight cookpot - an Al pot with the handle cut off works just fine, cheap, and weighs almost nothing.

Chaco Taco
01-08-2009, 13:44
The light my fire sporks suck. I went through 3 in 200 miles. I highly suggest getting a titanium utensil or something not made of plastic. They get weaker each time you put them in a hot liquid.
Also, you have too many shirts. Just use a base layer thermal shirt and have one hiking shirt and one camp shirt to go over your thermal. Remember you will have the opp to do laundry about once every 4-5 days esp in the south and your are going to stink no matter what.
And honestly, in the south, choose to carry the Guidebook. You really dont need maps in teh south. I only suggest maps in the Whites and MAine.
The rest looks great, you are ready! Good luck

D'Artagnan
01-08-2009, 14:02
The light my fire sporks suck.

I agree -- and they're too darn short. The extendable one from JetBoil kinda sucks too. It's too flimsy.

Linesman
01-08-2009, 14:33
I believe that pack is supposed to support only up to 30 pounds so I think you might need to cut back in a few places.

Summit
01-08-2009, 16:19
"DARE" is a dangerous word here on WB! :eek: :D :p

Good luck with your list. Remember after all the mostly good advice you'll get . . . in the end you own the list. :)

Nicksaari
01-08-2009, 16:37
you forgot the most important thing to pack:

a good sense of humor

good luck bro!

Tinker
01-08-2009, 16:46
YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!! :D

Unless someone else said so, I'd skip the boxers and go commando, but that's just personal preference. I use Body Glide and have no chafing problems.
Ditto the plastic utensils. It just takes one misstep, by you or someone else, plus you can boil ti utensils clean if something really nasty happens to them.
Stove is fine for start. Go alcohol, cannister or Esbit later in your hike (if you really get tired of carrying a stove).
Liner socks are up to you.
Precip's good solid stuff - not breathable, imo. I've had several jackets, I'd rather have a poncho and get some ventilation, maybe as a dual use item (groundsheet, windbreak, rain protection for starting a fire, cooking away from shelters, etc. (you can also collect rainwater in them and save your filter or chemicals). Some people say they blow around too much - not so if you take the back two corners and tuck them into the front of your pack belt. Tying a cord around the waist helps, too. I'm taking mine to section a bit of NY this weekend.
You might want to take a few "baby wipes" with you to keep the second most problem prone area (the first is the feet) clean.
The Z-Lite should be ok for someone your age. I need more comfort (hence the hammock). I have one and I'll caution you that they aren't very warm for a ccf pad.
It all comes down to what works for you. I fired up my 1986 Whisperlite (with a new pump) and boiled 2 cups of water on a very windy 36 degree day in three minutes. I's only going to get colder this weekend, so I think I'll bring it. Heavier, yes, but it uses 1/2 the weight in fuel as alcohol to do the same job. Keep it clean, though (I don't have a shaker jet), or you could have some exciting flare ups - or a very heavy candle lantern :p.

Christopher Robin
01-08-2009, 18:10
A few other things you might need; hand sanitizer, it's good for srarting fires has well. hat, &Gold Bond foot & bowdy powder. By the way litte my fire sprok comes in a middeum size now & is much stronger. All the best.

Sly
01-08-2009, 19:36
When hiking, what can you eat with a spork, that you can't eat with a lexan spoon?

D'Artagnan
01-09-2009, 10:33
When hiking, what can you eat with a spork, that you can't eat with a lexan spoon?

Spaghetti? ;)

RockDoc
01-09-2009, 22:46
Nice list, I like it.Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vapor Trail pack lacks a top flap, right? Personally I would add one to hold those often-reached-for little things.There's a 15 deg sub-kilo weight bag on sale at REI today... not to tempt you or anything If you expect a lot of rain, I would carry a small umbrella; Raines skinny mini is about 5 oz. Better than having the rain drip all over you potenially for days on end.Merino wool is the way to go with thermal layers; both for hiking and long underware for sleeping. Warm, light and no stink. Goodbye to synthetic shirts!Not sure if I saw gaitors, but I would carry those (I like Dirty Girl) to keep stuff out of my running shoes.Try all your stuff out before your hike. Like, make sure you could actually hike at night on the trail with your light. Some of these very light LED lights don't put out much. The ones that use watch batteries are about worthless.Good luck!

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2009, 22:58
Gloves? I'd also switch the Whisperlite for a Pocket Rocket or a MYOG alcohol stove.

Unless you're suseptible to cold wet feet, I'd ditch the sock liners too. Trail runners shouldn't be nearly as likely to produce blisters as heavy boots.

Good Idea, MSR international is a overweight flame thrower, if you get a pocket rocket with pot and pan its a huge trade off in versatility.

That about covers it, never taunt a group of true enthusiast with "I DARE You To Critique This!"

Blissful
01-09-2009, 23:18
Not enough socks. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you. :)
Light my fire sporks stink. We broke two. Hope they made them better.

You need some kind of outer jacket besides the rain jacket. And a simple polartec hat besides the balaclava (unless the balaclava is heavy polartec weight).

What is the name of your wal mart dry sack. Because if it is from the set of three assorted colored ones, they are not waterproof. Can't go wrong with a quality sea to summit dry bag.