PDA

View Full Version : Where To Go?

Pak-Man
01-08-2009, 09:45
Hello again everyone, my wife and I have 5-6 days for spring break coming up and being that we have never been on the AT yet and are planning a Thru in 2012 :banana we want to do a shakedown. We were considering starting at Springer and going north..obviously. For 5-6 days were would you recomend us going?

Thank you all

MOWGLI
01-08-2009, 09:49
If you're both in good shape, 6 days can easily get you from Springer to Dicks Creek Gap where you can come off the trail in Hiwassee, GA. Josh & Leigh at Hiker Hostel (dot) com can shuttle you back to your car. Or you could stay with them, have them shuttle you to the trail, and pick you back up when you're finished. They have a nice private room in their hostel.

Pak-Man
01-08-2009, 10:59
MOWGLI,

Thank you for the information, I have contacted them to see what they can do for us.

I am still interested to see what others have to say about a good 5-6 day section.

Thank you again

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 11:01
Damascus to Mt. Rogers Hq./RT 16. 63 miles

Hooch
01-08-2009, 11:05
Kincora to Damascus. About 50 miles NOBO. Enjoy!

snowhoe
01-08-2009, 11:20
All great ideas. Maybe dicks creek to n.o.c.? Sorry cant rember the miles but what a great place to stop. You could even stay in one of the hostels and get the real feel. Who knows you might just keep going.

IndianaBrad
01-08-2009, 11:24
I would maybe do the Smoky Mountains if the weather is nice. You can stay 1 day at Gatlinburg andthe start from Fontanna Dam and go North or start at Davenport and go South. I really enjoyed it when I did it on a Fall break trip this past Fall.

Hooch
01-08-2009, 11:27
All great ideas. Maybe dicks creek to n.o.c.? Sorry cant rember the miles but what a great place to stop. You could even stay in one of the hostels and get the real feel. Who knows you might just keep going.I gota agree with Snowshoe, NOC is a great place to stop and spend the night. Hot showers, good restaurant, cheap bunk, easy trail access, etc.

snowhoe
01-08-2009, 11:32
The smokies would be fun but man it will be crowed and plus you have to get a permit that might be hard to get for that time. Plus you want to have fun not fight the rain and mud of the park. Not to say that it will not rain but for some reason it seems worse in the park.

Blissful
01-08-2009, 11:44
It will likely be crowded in the south with would be thru hikers.

Come on up to VA and do Shenadoah NP. Nice walk, great views that time of year, no crowds either.

max patch
01-08-2009, 11:50
We were considering starting at Springer and going north..obviously. For 5-6 days were would you recomend us going?

Thats probably a good choice; April in GA is good hiking.

I like Damascus, but would be cautious about planning a spring break trip there. Our spring break is the first full week in April. Last year we went to Damascus and had a great time. The year before (or it may have been 2 years ago) we were planning a trip to Damascus and the weather forecast changed at the last minute. Car was packed and ready to go when the forecast changed from overcast to snow. We ended up changing plans. Mt Rogers/Massie Gap did in fact receive more snow than we would have liked hiking in.

Pak-Man
01-08-2009, 12:14
Wow, Thanks to all. It will take me a while to sit down tonight and look at all of this.. I am getting the feeling thought that we should have a Plan B so thank you for all of the options.:D

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 15:28
I see you're writing from Indiana.

So Springer is a long drive. Do you really want to spend half of your break time on the road?

As others have suggested, I'd look at a section closer to where you are.

VA 16 (i.e. the Mt. Rogers Headquarters) southbound to Damascus would be a great trip.

So would Rt. 19E in North Carolina to Erwin, also southbound, which would take you over the Roan Highlands, a spectacular section of Trail.

Both sections are great. Be aware that if you're hiking in April, it can (and probably will) be cold and wet for at least some of your trip.

hootyhoo
01-08-2009, 18:39
You're gonna do the AT anyways. Why not save a day of driving and just go to the Smokies for a big beautiful loop? Indiana is a long way from Springer and you might end up doing an out and back - to me that is a waste. i would much rather do a 5 day loop. I can recommned some good 5 day loops in the Smokies or any of the wilderness areas down here if you need some info.

max patch
01-08-2009, 18:53
Jack makes a good point; you can do a shakedown hike anywhere, either a closer section of the AT or any other trail that is closer to you.

But if you do go to GA you don't have to do an out and back. Hiker Hostel (or others) can shuttle you.

And I'd avoid the GSMNP. Unless, of course, you love crowds and being told where you have to sleep at night. If so, make your reservations on the first allowable day.