PDA

View Full Version : Footprints....

slamajama
01-08-2009, 10:03
I just bought a kelty gm2 tent, but did not buy the footprint for underneath, are there alternatives to the one from the manufacturer ($30)?
thxs

MOWGLI
01-08-2009, 10:05
A cheap piece of polyethylene, or if you're more weight conscious, a painting tarp. Go to your local hardware store.

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2009, 10:07
My recommendation is that you don't need the footprint or any other type of ground cover. I got a Kelty Teton 2 back in 2005, it's been on numerous long distance hikes and bike trips and has many more years of service left.

I think footprints are marketing scams

Hooch
01-08-2009, 10:08
I just bought a kelty gm2 tent, but did not buy the footprint for underneath, are there alternatives to the one from the manufacturer ($30)?
thxs

Yup. Get a piece of Tyvek from a local construction site for free (ask real nice, don't steal) and cut it to size. If you can't get any from a construction site, AniGravity Gear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK) sells it for cheap, I think $2 per linear foot from a 9 foot wide roll.

iesman69
01-08-2009, 10:09
I bought a roll of 2mil plastic paint cloth at local hardware store a year or so ago, and just cut what I need. Cheaper than manufacturer footprint -- tho maybe not as durable.

boarstone
01-08-2009, 11:48
check on www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com), search for "tent footprints". They may not be kelty, but check the size, if it'll work on yours, they are usually on sale CHEAP. I bought 2 once for $4 a piece and used them for cargo covers on my back seats and on the rug area of 4x4 behind back seat. Or any camp/hiker site, just do a search, don't forget to add in the cost of shipping. Tyvek idea may be better, someones old hammock they don't need...etc...

boarstone
01-08-2009, 11:49
...P.S. ....an old poncho will work..

slamajama
01-08-2009, 11:58
...P.S. ....an old poncho will work..
o i like that i have 1....wats tvlek

slamajama
01-08-2009, 12:00
*tyvek....thxs to all replies

Hooch
01-08-2009, 12:05
What's Tyvek?

I fixed your question, hope you don't mind.

Tyvek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyvek).

Lyle
01-08-2009, 12:07
Not familiar with your tent, but often these new tents require a specific footprint in order to pitch the tent in the "fastpack" mode - leaving the tent body at home and using only the poles and rainfly.

slamajama
01-08-2009, 12:08
no and ty...does HD or lowes carry it?

MOWGLI
01-08-2009, 12:12
Campmor sells it online for the purpose you are seeking.

Hooch
01-08-2009, 12:13
no and ty...does HD or lowes carry it?
Yes, but typically in large rolls. Actualy, huge rolls. You're better off asking for a few feet nicely at a construction site or buying it cheap-o from Tin Man at AntiGravity Gear. I recently got a 3x9 piece of it for $6 plus shipping. AntiGravity Gear is always a pleasure to do business with.

slamajama
01-08-2009, 14:01
all good...tyvm

snowhoe
01-08-2009, 14:07
Hooch, You and I are on the same page. I like the tyvec and it is a great insulator. I too got mine from a construction site. You can sometimes check in the dumpster. That might be a little to hiker trash. Hey do what you gotta do.NOT SAYING I AM HIKER TRASH.

BrianLe
01-08-2009, 14:50
Polycryo is pretty durable and lightweight stuff. I had around 2000 miles worth of hiking on a Polycryo ground cloth before a tear started to develop and it was still functional after that.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 15:44
I know that lots of folks advocate not bringing along a "footprint" or groundcloth, in order to save some pack weight.

In my experience, if you embrace this philosophy, sooner or later, you'll pitch some night and it'll rain so severely that you WILL wake up with everything in your tent damp and moist, if notcompletely soaked.

This is particularly important to think about if you're packing a down sleeping bag.

Some folks, by the way, prefer to have their cloth (or Tyvek sheet or whatever) cut to fit INSIDE their tent, the idea being that while the actual floor of their tent may get wet, what's inside will most likely stay dry.

Everybody does it their own way; personally, I think that if you go without a groundcloth of some sort, sooner or later, you'll regret it.

Lastly, if you use Tyvek or something else, make sure it's slightly SMALLER than your tent, and fits well BENEATH the tent without sticking out the sides. Otherwise, all you're doing is making a nice catch basin for rainwater.

garlic08
01-08-2009, 16:01
Great advice above from Jack. If you don't carry a groundcloth, you are definitely relying heavily on experience in selecting a well-drained site, and you may be limited to where you can pitch. But it is possible to be dry and comfortable without, I haven't used one in years.

If you get Tyvek out of a dumpster, don't make the mistake I made once and pick up a piece covered with still-fresh gorilla snot ("liquid nails" construction adhesive). What a freaking mess.