PDA

View Full Version : Why do people start....

Worldwide
01-08-2009, 10:13
slanderous threads?

I find this is a great place to share info. However, more often than not it is a place where some people that are unaffected by a given situation start a smear campaign about another person. It is nice to share opinions, but to call out a pitchfork and torch toting lynch mob without any fact is bulldodo. Seriously, people take a rumor and perpetuate it without any facts. They aren't accountable in the least. They won't reveal where their unsubstantiated information comes from yet they conitnue to be able to post on this site. I think we would be a better more informed community if we dealt with factual information.

However, we are stuck with certain lonely people keeping their name in the mix with baseless rumor. How many times does one need to post defaming baseless information before the moderators take away posting priveleges?

I don't care if someone is considered a trail angel. Opening your home to hikers is a nice thing to do. Smearing people baselessly is pathetic. If smear campaigns are your only connection to the trail get a life. Give me facts if you need to destroy someones credibilty not "rumor has it" crap. Maybe you can add a post to the in the hospital thread again and have a continual pity party.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 10:23
what are you talkin' about?

Lyle
01-08-2009, 10:25
Not sure what you are referring to in this thread - I don't read all of them. I just want to say, in defence of the moderators, that things have improved greatly over the past six months. They took a hard line last summer, and things have gotten much more civil - some say boring, I don't think so.

The unfortunate side effect was that a number of posters have left the site, rather than support the new, or should I say newly enforced, rules.

My complements to the administrators for moving the site in a much friendlier direction.

Phreak
01-08-2009, 10:28
slanderous threads?

I find this is a great place to share info. However, more often than not it is a place where some people that are unaffected by a given situation start a smear campaign about another person. It is nice to share opinions, but to call out a pitchfork and torch toting lynch mob without any fact is bulldodo. Seriously, people take a rumor and perpetuate it without any facts. They aren't accountable in the least. They won't reveal where their unsubstantiated information comes from yet they conitnue to be able to post on this site. I think we would be a better more informed community if we dealt with factual information.

However, we are stuck with certain lonely people keeping their name in the mix with baseless rumor. How many times does one need to post defaming baseless information before the moderators take away posting priveleges?

I don't care if someone is considered a trail angel. Opening your home to hikers is a nice thing to do. Smearing people baselessly is pathetic. If smear campaigns are your only connection to the trail get a life. Give me facts if you need to destroy someones credibilty not "rumor has it" crap. Maybe you can add a post to the in the hospital thread again and have a continual pity party.
Some people have nothing better to do.

Worldwide
01-08-2009, 10:49
Look at yesterdays locked thread. Rumor and conjecture based smear campaign.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 10:50
Look at yesterdays locked thread. Rumor and conjecture based smear campaign.

apparently there's a lot you don't know

Worldwide
01-08-2009, 10:56
Then enlighten me with facts. Because I did a good bit of research. In fact more than the original poster has. Actually if what was inferred was true the law would be after said person.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 10:59
not here. it will get shut down again

Worldwide
01-08-2009, 11:01
Hope I can make it to So Ruck

Alligator
01-08-2009, 11:04
The thread was closed fairly quickly by Skids. If you have a problem with how it was handled you should have PM'ed a mod or an admin Worldwide. In this particular case, I'm going to suggest Skids (YW Skids;)) as he suggested he knew something about it. We have something like 30-40 threads a day started and I do not see this as a "more often than not" problem.

Since the thread this referred to was closed, I'm closing this one as well.