PDA

View Full Version : campsites with views

Penn-J
01-08-2009, 13:11
I'm attempting my first thru-hike in February and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share some of there favorite campsites or shelters with views. I'm thinking I want to spent as many nights as I can with a decent vista. This is something I didn't do on the Long Trail in Vermont in 2005 and regret it a bit. I remember passing great campsites and saying to myself, "man, I wish I stayed there last night!" I could go through all the guide books but this seems easier. (and more fun) I always try to leave sites in better shape then I find them. I'm sorry if there is another post about this subject.
Good Luck to everyone!! :sun

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 13:25
blood mtn.
rocky mtn.
silers bald
wesser bald tower
cheoah bald(one of my favorites)
max patch
beauty spot
roan mtn
unaka mtn.
grassy ridge
little hump and hump mtns.
whitetop mtn.
.8 north of thomas knob shelter
the scales

just to name a few

Gray Blazer
01-08-2009, 14:53
Big Flat on Frozen Knob (Good sunrise view)

LW named all my other faves.

There's a secret spot on Wayah Bald.

Big Bald (You're likely to be awakened by locals hiking up tp see the sunrise).

Gray Blazer
01-08-2009, 14:54
Rocky Bald, NC. (Good sunrise view).

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2009, 15:27
Overmountain.

The 1st Shelter north of Salisbury, CT.

The emergency shelter on Greylock.

Lincoln through Gorham, NH.

The shelter on the north side of Moosilauc summit.

White top.

Cheoah bald was one of my favorite spots to camp on the entire trip.

Dragon's tooth.

there's more...i'll have to pull out my log.

Serial 07
01-08-2009, 15:31
you said "log"...big bald is an amazing sleep...overmountain...preachers rock area...

Penn-J
01-08-2009, 15:43
WOW, thanks you guys! I hope I can catch all the sunrises and sunsets I can!:sun

Tennessee Viking
01-08-2009, 15:46
Beauty Spot
Grassy Ridge Bald on Roan
Overmountain Barn
Big Bald
Apple tree near Frozen Knob
Flint Mountain shelter
Coldspring Mountain
Jones Meadows on Camp Creek
Rich Mtn tower
Max Patch

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2009, 15:57
you said "log"...big bald is an amazing sleep...overmountain...preachers rock area...

I pulled out my log two times at the Pinnacle. Once with Matty and Funky's friend. And another with Motor Butt, Burrass, and Cookie.

ChinMusic
01-08-2009, 16:21
Vandeventer Shelter has a great view of Watauga Lake. Just try to get water before getting there. The water source is WAY, WAY, WAY down the hill.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2009, 19:38
Snowbird/Wildcat Top. Fantastic view of GSMNP featuring MT, Cammerrer, Mt. Guyot and Mt. Sterling. My favorite place to car camp by myself. My wife would be too terrified on the road up.

Serial 07
01-08-2009, 21:45
way way way down hill...

mt. cammerrer is the one of the best secrets, IMO, on the trail...it's a little off the trail, but well worth the blue blaze...amazing spot...

and, i'm glad you logged your loggings... :-?

Kirby
01-11-2009, 23:11
Pretty much everywhere.

Cookerhiker
01-11-2009, 23:20
HighTop Mountain in Shenandoah NP. Places to set up tent/hammock, westward view from rocky outcropping, spring on top of mountain right on Trail.

fiddlehead
01-11-2009, 23:22
They are out there.
Learn to dry camp and you can take advantage of many that will show up.

Camping near water often means a cold, damp night.
Camping where the views are often means no bugs, early sunrise, or late sunset
It is my preferred way to camp.

Jim Adams
01-11-2009, 23:28
I saw a great sunset from the summit of Tray Mt.

geek

TrippinBTM
01-12-2009, 11:29
The first shelter north of Pearisburg, VA... or continue on a few miles (pack water with you) to Syms meadow for sunrise AND sunset.

anywhere in the presidentials; you'll have to stealth camp, since camping above treeline is illegal.

Same goes for the above treeline places in Maine, but it's not illegal there.

There's some good open ridges just north of the N/NY state line. We stealthed (illegally) up on Bear Mountain, NY. Make sure to bring water.

Max Patch is great.

Chestnut Knob shelter in VA; seemed pretty open but it was in a cloud when I was there, there's a big open area you pass just south (a mile, maybe?) of it that would be good camping though; great view.

Try if you can to plan it so you camp in the Grayson Highlands. It's freakin' beautiful, hopefully the weather is kind to you there

There's some very nice ridges in the south half of New Jersey, open park-like terrain with good views. One area specifically is a bit north past the Mohican Outdoor Center in NJ; climb up the hill out of the gap, and you should find some good spots. There's also a good lookout 2 miles norh of Brink shelter, overlooking a lake. Should get a good sunrise there.

There was this little shelf about halfway up Wildcat Mountain ("E" peak) in New Hampshire (just after the presidentials) that was very nice; will have to cowboy camp because it's a rock slab, nowhere to drive stakes.

Mostly I'd look for open summits and ridges; you always have to haul water with you, but it's always worth it. They're my favorite place to camp. Most of the shelters don't have great views.

Mr HaHa
01-12-2009, 17:43
Snowbird/Wildcat Top. Fantastic view of GSMNP featuring MT, Cammerrer, Mt. Guyot and Mt. Sterling. My favorite place to car camp by myself. My wife would be too terrified on the road up. Snowbird Mountain is not often mentioned for its fantastic views of the Smokys and also as a great place to camp!

Skyline
01-12-2009, 18:08
Gentian Pond Shelter in New Hampshire not far from the Maine border. One of the two best views from an actual shelter on the AT. The other one IMHO is Overmountain Shelter in Tennessee.

Not that I actually stay in shelters. Just sayin'...

Gray Blazer
01-12-2009, 19:15
Snowbird Mountain is not often mentioned for its fantastic views of the Smokys and also as a great place to camp!

Absolutely awesome!

mikec
01-12-2009, 20:32
Telephone Pioneers Shelter in NY and Riga Shelter in CT have great views.

LIhikers
01-12-2009, 20:41
West Mountain shelter in New York.