PDA

View Full Version : Internet Etiquette

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 13:12
Here's a question I've been kicking around this morning:

When, if ever, is it considered acceptable to share or publish private Internet correspondence with others?

See, there's a member here at Whiteblaze who has been sending me nasty and quasi-threatening letters, i.e. "Stay away from me!" "You want to continue this, you know where I live!" "I consider you an enemy!" and that sort of thing.

I suppose I could just put the guy on "ignore", but his correspondence was getting so utterly ridiculous, I was considering sharing it with some folks, so they, too, could see what an idiot this guy was being.

So, opinions please.......is it ever OK to share private correspondence?

JAK
01-08-2009, 13:13
I think its better if you don't share your personal squabbles with the rest of us.

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 13:15
Actually, JAK, the squabbling was public already, i.e. it was here for all to see before he decided to take it to another level.

I'm merely interested in other opinions.......is it ever OK to publish private correspondence?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 13:16
yes. i got a long , nasty, pitiful PM from a person that doesn't post here anymore. i believe you know who. i forwarded the PM to several folks. i think you were on of them. so yes, share the private PM

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 13:17
I'm merely interested in other opinions.......is it ever OK to publish private correspondence?

yup. sure is

jesse
01-08-2009, 13:20
The Internet is irrelevent. If a friend shares something with you in confidence, and there is a reasonable expectation that they trust you to keep it confident, it would be a violation of etiquette. If its some jerk sending you annoying messages, you are free to burn him.
However, it will probably esculate, and lead to more monitoring.

Lyle
01-08-2009, 13:22
Possibly share it with the administrators privately. If actual, serious threats are being made, I would save them and inform the individual that a police report may be made unless the threats end. This is not something that should necessarily be ignored.

If you do not believe they are serious, then getting the admins involved may be useful. They could limit or cancel the person's privileges. I would calmly ask the person to stop voluntarily, and avoid any further unpleasantries prior to taking any action, however.

Pretty silly that anyone has to put up with this type stuff.

max patch
01-08-2009, 13:24
Private conversation should stay exactly that, private.

But this isn't conversation. OK to expose this bozo. And whoever it is should be banned from the site by its owners.

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 13:25
1. I've asked him twice to stop writing.
2. I've written the Moderators and offerred to share the letters with them,
so they can decide what to do.
3. I don't really feel threatened. The letters are more pathetic and amusing
than anything else. I know the gentleman in question and I doubt he
could knock a hole in a Chinese lantern.

But you're right. It's silly and nobody should have to put up with it.

2XL
01-08-2009, 13:26
It sounds like the person could be violatong the Whiteblaze user agreement and the Administarors could deal with the person's membership.

I'm merely interested in other opinions.......is it ever OK to publish private correspondence? Yes, unless you at some point you and this person agreed that all correspondence would be kept private.

darkage
01-08-2009, 13:28
Private conversation should stay exactly that, private.

But this isn't conversation. OK to expose this bozo. And whoever it is should be banned from the site by its owners.

I agree, Talking smack over the internet is pathetic ... If i'd ever annoy or piss someone off to the point they wanna kick my ass or talk that much trash ... Speak to me like that in person and see how far that gets you ... But to do so over the internet is simply pathetic .... Acting like a complete tool or equal to the maturity level of a over hormoned 13 year old ... someone sounds like they got growing up to do... :banana

Dance with the banana!

Slo-go'en
It would be better to forward those messages to the moderators so that person can be banned. Also, save them in case legal measures need to be taken if the words gets even more nasty and threating.

4eyedbuzzard
Contact admin and let them handle it.

WalkinHome
01-08-2009, 13:29
As a last resort, let me say that again, as a last resort you could advise the individual that from this day forward, you will be putting his PMs on WB for all to see. That takes away whatever cloak he is used to. My $.02.

Serial 07
01-08-2009, 13:31
IMO, keep it private...if you aren't threatened or feel threatened, keep it private...i know the argument for why to share, but what positive things will actually come about from sharing...sometimes it's best just to bite the bullet and be the bigger man...

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 13:33
Um, WalkinHome, I think I did just that......that's sorta what this thread is all about. If he wants to look like a complete horse's fundament in front of 10,000 other folks, I'll be happy to help with this.

Alligator
01-08-2009, 13:52
Anyone who has a personal dispute with another user that they feel violates the user agreement or the law can PM any of the admins and we will look into it.

To answer the question, I try to share as little as needed regarding PM's myself, as I value members' privacy highly.

Personally, when I am not interested in receiving PM's, I put the person on ignore. If someone is not going to be civil, I see no need to correspond.