PDA

View Full Version : Backpack on Bus

partinj
01-08-2009, 13:28
Hi well i found a roll around suitecase that my pack will fit in and it still look like a suitecase. I figure this will help keep pack safe won't no what inside the suitecase
the reason i am taking the bus is i all ready have the ticket from last year from when i had to delay my hike can get money back on it it was for arpril and i am leaving in fe 2009 so it still good the grey hound leave at 9:00 pm and get to gainesville at 10:25 AM total travel time 13Hours 25 min. I found the rollaround at the local thrift store got for $5:00 i saw the same thing new for $79:00 not bad have any of you try the same thing.
:confused:

Chaco Taco
01-08-2009, 13:37
Your pack will be fine without IMO. More or less, they let you put your pack in the carrier on the bottm of the bus. I mean, think of all the rummaging around it will take when you are on your hike. No need to treat it like a piece of fragile equipment. They do not search packs and you have the pack with you til its time to leave. Why do you feel like you need to enlcose it in something??

partinj
01-08-2009, 13:44
Because i can keep the sleeping bag tent and sleep pad safe with out hhaving to worry if they have come off the pack or get tron by they way they handle the pack. A buddy of mine have his pack tore all the way down one side while travel by bus inf in the suitecase ever thing is in one spot and should be petty safe. at lease form damage.

Chaco Taco
01-08-2009, 13:46
I hear ya. So you are finally on your way! I thought I was gonna see you last year. Keep up on the journal, you may see me and Wak at some point. Good luck!

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2009, 14:09
I think that as long as you're handling the pack on/off the bus during transfers you won't have any problems. Sorry to hear about what happened to your buddy.

More often you'll hear stories of packs being split while handled on/off airplanes. It makes sense as they are loaded onto and carts and then onto mechanical conveyors.

It sounds like your buddies' story is more exception than rule. I've had my pack on planes, trains, and buses for years and never an issue.

Quixote
01-08-2009, 18:54
I use a BIG duffel bag (the same one I use for hockey gear) to put my pack in while travelling.

dmax
01-08-2009, 19:04
I"ve used greyhound once, and planes numerous times. I bought a large duffle bag from k-mart or wal-mart. Everything fits and my pack and gear is better pertected from rips and stains. I like you're idea of a suitcase. That would work good. Atleast for my GG, might be hard to find one for my external. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 19:29
No suitcase needed unless that is going to make you happy.
I did Maine last year and only took the pack and didn't get searched.