PDA

View Full Version : Maine "wilderness" hike

earlyriser26
01-08-2009, 15:05
I'm thinking of hiking the "wilderness" this fall and would like any info that would be of help. I last tried this section 35 years ago in June and quit after one day (yeah, the bugs got to me). Places to stay / miss. I will be bringing a tent. Direction of hike. I will likely take a full 10 days being old and fat. resupply? or not and best method. Best time in fall? Shuttle advice. Anything that might be surprising?

Doughnut
01-08-2009, 15:30
I hiked the 100 mile wilderness last summer. I suggest you contact Boarstone here on Whiote blaze fo rshuttle and supply drop int he 100 mile. I can look at my notes and maps and make recommendations.

Contact me at [email protected]

Phreak
01-08-2009, 15:32
Buddy w/ 7 Pines Shuttle Service (based out of Monson) offers shuttles and resupply in the 100 Mile Wilderness. His rates were the best I could find during my hike in June, 2007.

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 15:35
If you're planning on taking 10 days, then you're gonna want to think about re-supplying somewhere towards the middle. No matter which way you go, you're not gonna want to start with 10 days worth of food.

As to direction, the question is whether or not you want to hike Katahdin.

If not, then start at Abol Bridge and go south, as it'll make for much more pleasant travel the first few days of your trip. (You can also arange to leave a vehicle in Monson so it's there when you're done).

If I were gong to hike this section, I'd go in mid-to-late September. Busy time for thru-hikers, but not that busy for anyone else. Definitely bring a tent or some other shelter as the Trail shelters may be full.

Ideal time: 15 to 30 September.

Have a great trip.

Sly
01-08-2009, 15:42
Hike north, better views!

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2009, 15:45
Ever hiked it South, Sly?? :rolleyes:

The views are great either way.

Quixote
01-08-2009, 17:04
I'm planning a "Wilderness" hike this fall myself. I have alot of info on shuttles, resupply (Jo-Mary Rd.), etc... I haven't got a starting date yet, but would be willing to cooperate on logistics. I live in Ma. 5 or 6 hour drive from Baxter. I'm 53, some days I'm slow, some days I'm fast, so it's got to be HYOH! I'm NOBO to get the mts. done first, cache food and fishing gear at Jo-Mary rd. and take my time to Abol Bridge.

weary
01-08-2009, 17:59
If you're planning on taking 10 days, then you're gonna want to think about re-supplying somewhere towards the middle. No matter which way you go, you're not gonna want to start with 10 days worth of food.

As to direction, the question is whether or not you want to hike Katahdin.

If not, then start at Abol Bridge and go south, as it'll make for much more pleasant travel the first few days of your trip. (You can also arange to leave a vehicle in Monson so it's there when you're done).

If I were gong to hike this section, I'd go in mid-to-late September. Busy time for thru-hikers, but not that busy for anyone else. Definitely bring a tent or some other shelter as the Trail shelters may be full.

Ideal time: 15 to 30 September.

Have a great trip.
I agree with Jack that September 15 to 30 is an ideal time. The trees are pretty, and the camp groups and church groups that crowd the trail in the summer will be gone. I question, however, whether everyone will want to resupply. Carrying 10 days of food used to be common -- especially for section hikers which usually have a few days of lee way before acute hunger arrives.

You can usually arrange to have a shuttle meet you with additional supplies where the trail crosses the Jo Mary campground road. I usually don't because I don't like to have to be at a specific place at a specific time. It's worse than messing with post office drops. With the post office you, at least, have five and a half days a week to pick up a package. Shuttle services like to insist on an exact hour. Anyway you should have the shuttle deliver food, rather than driving you to a store. Stores are a 60 mile round trip, half over gravel roads, from most road crossings in the wilderness.

Then, of course, there is the White House Landing which is about two-thirds of the way through the wilderness from the south.

Sometimes, I cheat and spot food at the Campground road, but that requires more knowledge of Maine's back country than most hikers will have.

The maps and guide to the trail in Maine provides pretty good directions. Though a Delorme Maine Atlas is better.

Weary

Tudor
01-08-2009, 18:15
White House Landing is a great place to stay a nite and get a good dinner or breakfast before you finish on. Love that place!

weary
01-08-2009, 18:19
Hike north, better views!
If you look around while hiking, I suspect most will find the views are pretty similar and equally spectacular in both directions.