PDA

View Full Version : Minerva Hinchey Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 09:52
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Minerva Hinchey Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Minerva
10-23-2002, 19:59
New privy in 2001, look for the pink poodle toilet seat. Table inside shelter, lawn chair, fire pit, wash pit for gray water, good tent sites. Follow the Wada sign to the spring which held up during this year's drought. Very near Spring Lake, good for an evening dip, however the mosquitoes can be ferocious.

Minerva Hinchey was the Green Mountain Club Treasurer until she retired her duties at the prime ole age of 82.

celt
07-26-2003, 21:50
. Here is a picture I took in October 2002

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=933&papass=&sort=1

poison_ivy
09-14-2003, 08:06
Several register entries described the setting for this shelter as "creepy"... and I would agree. It's a little worse for the wear, probably because it is so near many local trails. I was glad I was just stopping by, and not staying here.

I did enjoy the pink poodle seat in the privy however!

- Ivy

Steve W
09-15-2003, 10:07
I spent a night here in July of this year. While it might not be a big fancy shelter, it was a nice, clean and comfortable place to stay. No one in my group found it at all creepy. It was a long day, maybe we were too tired to notice. I liked the table and lawn chair as a comfortable place to sit and relax.

Hydromagnt
10-12-2003, 14:06
I stayed here during the 3rd week of June 03. After a long days hike, the lawn chair and table were very welcome. Four hikers were in attendance that night. Bugs were bad, so we tented. Nice tent sites, and water and privy were nice and close. Mrs. Gorp takes care of this shelter now, and it's neat and clean. Going North, Whistle Stop Restraunt is GREAT for breakfast.:D :D :D :D

wilconow
07-08-2007, 19:24
I tented here July 2007. There are some good tenting sites around. Apparently the mosquitoes were bad because the lt'ers set up their tent in the shelter.

There is an ATV road right in front of it. An ATV rode by in the morning while I was waiting for my fly to dry. Little strange. Also the water source was stagnant and pretty dry.

Cosmo
08-18-2013, 14:01
Aug 2013. Not too creepy, there are woods roads on 2 sides but they seem to be well blocked at the other end as we saw no evidence of motorized use. We had a visit from some nice locals who brought cupcakes and banana bread. Water was flowing, but not in large quantity. Official tent area not very level, but lots of other tent sites nearby. Small table inside shelter.

Cosmo

Marmaduke
08-26-2013, 12:42
It's interesting to see that people think that Minerva Hinchey is a "creepy" shelter......... I always feel really strange when I'm there. I've used it for a lunch pit stop many times yet I've never stayed the night..... something about it. I always feel like I'm being watched by something or someone.

Dahoyt
06-02-2014, 11:16
I love it there.

bamboo bob
06-02-2014, 11:51
I've stayed many times. No idea why it gets creepy label but it is a huge mosquito farm.

Deadeye
06-03-2014, 11:40
I've been watching y'all for years, I don't get why that makes people feel creepy

double d
06-03-2014, 19:02
I've stayed at this shelter before, too tired to feel "creepy". Although has pretty good water source as well.

GoodGerman
06-04-2014, 08:41
I was just there a couple of days ago. The shelter is one of the nicer ones in Vermont.

The sleeping area inside is pretty beat up though so you might want to watch where you put your inflatable there.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

Migrating Bird
06-04-2014, 19:18
I was just there a couple of days ago. The shelter is one of the nicer ones in Vermont.

The sleeping area inside is pretty beat up though so you might want to watch where you put your inflatable there.

Hey Good German, I camped across from the shelter after I ran into you and DJ at the airport overlook last Friday when that big storm was moving in. Wish we had longer to talk.

There were 4 guys from NY staying in the shelter. During a lull in the storm 3 people came up along the woods road looking for morels and I pointed out that there were some growing right under the stairs to the shelter. Nice campsites.

GoodGerman
06-04-2014, 20:59
Ha! We were talking about you when we ran down that mountain to dodge the storm. Hoping you would make it down there safely.

The storm was rather gentle to us but we hit quite a few blowdowns the next day on the higher elevations.

Hope you enjoying the LT.

Dahoyt
07-12-2014, 15:39
I <3 this shelter.