PDA

View Full Version : food prices along the AT

Allen66
04-21-2004, 00:51
Are food prices at resupply points along the AT genrally higher than or roughly the same as other areas? Trying to decide to mail drop or not to mail drop.:confused:

A-Train
04-21-2004, 01:57
Well it varies, just like anywhere else. If you plan well and stop at towns with big supermarkets, you can shop very economically. I usually bought the generic brand food and made out pretty cheaply. Sometimes you may have/choose to resupply from small groceries/gas stations or outfitters. This will generally be more expensive with less of a selection. Certain areas like the snack bars in the shenandoahs and meals offered at AMC facilities are pretty high, but what can you expect from meals in the middle of the woods?

There is no need to do all maildrops or all buying along the way. Certainly works by coming up with a fair balance between the two. I'd recommend buying either the Companion or Handbook, checking out Weather Carrot and Baltimore Jack's advice on resupply (found in the articles section of this site) and asking questions here. There are many people enthusiastic about talking resupply on this site, I am definately one of them. We are here to help and remember, there is no exact right way to resupply. Most everyone has an experience or two along the trail where they wish they had send a box, or had just bought food at a certain spot. There is no flawless plan

The Old Fhart
04-21-2004, 05:46
One thing I consider is not just the cost of supplies if I buy them from a store along the way but how that compares to the cost of sending myself the supplies plus the cost of the supplies I buy ahead of time. I've found that the smaller stores along the way are more expensive than the larger stores I would use at home but quite often anything I save is lost when I add in the cost of mailing it to myself. There are some items that you can't find in smaller stores so if you have certain dietry needs then mail drops could be necessary and there is no choice. I also consider that some of the small stores I use along the way may rely on thru hiker traffic to help stay in business. You have to try to strike a balance here.

Blue Jay
04-21-2004, 07:39
One thing I consider is not just the cost of supplies if I buy them from a store along the way but how that compares to the cost of sending myself the supplies plus the cost of the supplies I buy ahead of time. I've found that the smaller stores along the way are more expensive than the larger stores I would use at home but quite often anything I save is lost when I add in the cost of mailing it to myself. There are some items that you can't find in smaller stores so if you have certain dietry needs then mail drops could be necessary and there is no choice. I also consider that some of the small stores I use along the way may rely on thru hiker traffic to help stay in business. You have to try to strike a balance here.

Yes, I actually agree with Mr. Fart on this one. It is very important to keep small stores open along the AT. On a long hot day, you'd pay a lot for a cold drink. I've walked over a mile to stores that are no longer there. Support local people.

dje97001
04-21-2004, 07:55
I keep reading about very cheap meals (all you can eat for a couple bucks) and other inexpensive restaurants--mainly in the south. Is there much variation in cost/plate sizes along the route, or are these simply old accounts?

Jaybird
04-21-2004, 08:53
Are food prices at resupply points along the AT genrally higher than or roughly the same as other areas? Trying to decide to mail drop or not to mail drop.:confused:

i've found that the stores that offer hiker re-supplies are generally a bit more expensive...BUT....taking in to account the cost of mailings & postage, etc.,etc.,..it's probably a wash....

and....i dont mind paying a few extra dimes (or quarters) per item...IF its helping a "hiker friendly" biz along the trail. :D

Moon Monster
04-21-2004, 12:22
I indeed noticed cost variations, but it was not striking. When in Georgia, a former thru-hiker told me to avoid Kent, CT as he could not even buy a hamburger and fries for under 10 bucks there. I remembered that the whole way up to CT, but I found Kent to be quite reasonable. There are nice restaurants there, but you can simply go to the chinese place or the grocery store, etc. and pay no more than most other towns. The most expensive places in general are camp stores, but on a hot day, I'll gladly pay a dollar for a 12 oz can of soda.

There is a rough transition around the Mason Dixon line where free refills on soda in restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets generally disappear going northbound. And, I think grocery prices are nominally higher in the northern towns (many more of those towns are touristy for urbanites in the summer as compred to south). But, I found that my increased daily hiking mileage on my thru-hike compensated for any increases in the north. I probably spent much more on food in the south because I was there longer.

A-Train
04-21-2004, 12:46
Going along with what Moon Monster said, I completely agree about Kent and other new england towns, such as Salisbury, Great Barrington, Manchester, Hanover etc. I was told to avoid such towns, especially Kent, like the plague, however the jack in price only seemed apparent in cost of Lodging. Food prices at both restaurants and grocery stores were little to no different from what I was used from Georgia on up. The IGA in Kent was maybe a nickel or dime more for each product, but it wasn't a big deal. With most of the above towns you can find alternative lodging options to avoid paying a bundle.

Allen66
04-21-2004, 23:57
Thanks for the info. I see now that it's basically personal preference. I'm not real fond of trusting the postal service anyway. I might do a few mail drops but will not depend totally on them. Not a big planner anyway, like to go with the flow!!

Peaks
04-26-2004, 10:30

I think that many thru-hikers ditch a lot of their mail drops into hiker boxes because their tastes have changed since they packed the box months prior. They go to the local store anyway.

I suspect that trying to save money is the wrong reason to do mail drops.