PDA

View Full Version : Firewood

Speer Carrier
01-08-2009, 17:00
For anyone reading the posts on WB and starting their thru hike in the next week or so, this is for you.

Some of us, members of GATC, recently completed the construction of two new privys at the Springer Shelter. We had quite a few 2x4's left over in scrap pieces. We stacked them under the shelter to be used as firewood and to stay dry. Please feel free to burn them. They are no longer of value for the construction project.

Cool AT Breeze
01-08-2009, 17:04
Good info.

Plodderman
01-08-2009, 17:06
Thanks for the wood it is much appreciated.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 17:14
LNT! Pack it in Pack it out! :) is it pressure treated? bad for burning

Speer Carrier
01-08-2009, 18:02
LNT! Pack it in Pack it out! :) is it pressure treated? bad for burning

Yeah, I know, it kind of flies in the face of LNT, but I don't run the show, so its there to be dealt with. Besides, we all had ladders and tools to shlep back down to the parking lot.

It is pressure treated, but since the fire ring is pretty much in the open I don't think the leader of the maintenance group figure the toxic fumes would do any real harm. With the rain the area has received in the last few days, this might be the only dry wood to be found on a cold night.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 18:04
Yeah, I know, it kind of flies in the face of LNT, but I don't run the show, so its there to be dealt with. Besides, we all had ladders and tools to shlep back down to the parking lot.

It is pressure treated, but since the fire ring is pretty much in the open I don't think the leader of the maintenance group figure the toxic fumes would do any real harm. With the rain the area has received in the last few days, this might be the only dry wood to be found on a cold night.

looks like your "show runner" messed up
http://www.southernpine.com/expert/index.pl?leafcode=39

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 18:06
love the smell of arsenic in the morning http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html

Lilred
01-08-2009, 18:32
Gotta agree with LW on this one. People burn that wood and inhale that smoke?? Could be very very very bad.

So a note to folks reading this, don't burn that wood!!

hootyhoo
01-08-2009, 18:32
love the smell of arsenic in the morning http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html

They do not use arsenic and have not for years. It is now alkaline quartenary copper ACQ - but the thompsonized waterproofing is still toxic when burned.

From LUMBER INDUSTRY NEWS -- Don’t Burn New Types of Treated Lumber… ... Although ACQ treated lumber lacks arsenic, it too can create toxic smoke and ashes when burned

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 19:03
Gotta agree with LW on this one. People burn that wood and inhale that smoke?? Could be very very very bad.

So a note to folks reading this, don't burn that wood!!

truth be known it shoulda been packed out. i've seen plenty of shelters where they leave all kinds of junk under and around shelters after construction like bags of concrete, roofing, lumber, etc.

but truth be known i don't care about shelters and what's left behind. graffitti bothers me though :)

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 19:04
still a nice gesture speer :)

ChinMusic
01-08-2009, 19:06
Use the treated wood for a monster Jenga game. Great fun.

Tin Man
01-08-2009, 19:07
oops. i did a similar favor in nh a couple of years ago. i need to find out what kind of lumber they used on the old velvet rocks shelter. that made for some fire.

TrippinBTM
05-07-2009, 20:07
I say burn it. And when you do, think about coal plants, nuclear reactors, and garbage incinerators. You won't feel too bad about a little pressure treated wood any more ;)

mister krabs
05-08-2009, 11:53
I say burn it. And when you do, think about coal plants, nuclear reactors, and garbage incinerators. You won't feel too bad about a little pressure treated wood any more ;)

Just be sure you have your left handed smoke shifter to keep the smoke away from you.

kyhipo
05-08-2009, 12:11
does burning mountian laurels produce toxic smoke?thought it does:-?ky

OldStormcrow
05-08-2009, 15:59
does burning mountian laurels produce toxic smoke?thought it does:-?ky
Yes, mountain laurel does produce toxic smoke when burned. The symptoms are nausea, rapid pulse and a severe headache....kinda like a really miserable hangover, but gone after a few hours. It also will cause a slight rash on your hands if used for a hiking pole and you sweat on it all day.

TrippinBTM
05-09-2009, 09:42
What about if you cook over mountain laurel? Will it poison you?

Either way, good tip, thanks.

Jayboflavin04
05-09-2009, 11:50
I bought the new "right" handed smoke shifter! It is .000016975 ounces lighter than the left one. Is there any concerns over using either model, and what if the shelter is on the left or right....should I carry both left and right handed models?