PDA

View Full Version : Multi-use undercover idea

rbonnett
01-08-2009, 22:54
I've been studying options for adding an undercover/insulation to my HH. The mainstream designs seem to be some kind of synthetic double bottom, snugged to the perimeter of the hammock, with room between for insulation (pads, quilts, leaves...)

A separate issue I've tussled with was those hopefully few times when I would be on the ground or in a shelter for some reason, and needing to carry a pad just for those times. So here's what I thought of; I'd like some feedback on whether this seems practical or even possible...

Silnylon is impermeable to air, as I understand it. I've tested some myself, and certainly seem to get no air flow thru it no matter how hard it blow. This got me thinking it might make a decent air mattress, like thos heavy vinyl ones. A series of air chambers and nozzle to inflate it thru.

I think it could be constructed using silicon as an adhesive, avoiding lots of stitching that would be tricky to keep sealed. If it worked, it would certinly be lighter to carry than any other pad I've seen, since it empties to a double layer of silnylon.

Once I had this pictured, it dawned on me that it could also serve as the undercover for my hammock. I imagine using it uninflated and secured to the bottom of the hammock, leaving room between for insulation such as an underquilt.

When I did choose to go to ground, I could inflate it and have a nice comfy pad under me for tarping or shelter sleeping.

I've done some searching online, and haven't found any air pads made from silnylon. Is there some problem that would make this just not work? One thing of concern is whether it would stand up to begin used as a pad without punctures.

Any thoughts?

wisenber
01-08-2009, 23:10
If it did keep a seal and not puncture, I don't think it would insulate much if any for on the ground. That why the CCF pads are so popular. It might offer some padding though.

On the other hand, it would provide insulation if placed BETWEEN your UQ and your hammock. It would essentially be an added bit of loft for your UQ. I use a similar concept when i put a partially inflated 55 gallon trash bag between my UQ and my hammock. It gives me a good extra 10-15 degrees of warmth. A syl pad might do the same, I just don't see it holding up on the ground.

Ekul
01-09-2009, 14:26
I saw a design somewhere in the hammock forums about taking the HH tarp and making it a undertarp(if that makes sense). Being you purchase another tarp such as maccat would make sense to reuse the orig tarp from HH for that reason. I dont have a underquilt yet but I could imagine on those blowing rainy nights that the underquilt would be nasty wet without such a undertarp.

Just Jeff
01-09-2009, 15:41
HH tarp to undercover:
http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf