PDA

View Full Version : Adding down fill

Reid
01-08-2009, 23:07
I've got this itch to add down fill to one of my sleeping bags. It's an older campmor 40 bag. I've got a 20 down and another 40 down but my favorite bag is this campmor 40 even though it's the least expensive one. I am not that worried about dropping another 100 on it but I have no idea who would be able to add another 12.5 - 13 oz of fill for me and do all the stitchings. I'd be willing to try and do it myself but I dont even know where to buy high grade down like that. I expect I'd have to buy a bunch if I did this too. Is there anyone who has any experience with this or have a general direction to send me in? I am ok at sewing. My mother is an expert so she'd probably take the reins if we went the DIY route. Thanks for any comments.

The Will
01-09-2009, 00:21
I would wonder what the point is in which additional down would no longer equate substantial gain in warmth. If the bag is originally 40 degrees then I'd expect baffle space to be limited. If that extra down cannot reach its lofty potential then your gain will be minimized.

But you didn't ask for my opinion. . .

Mountain Mend out of seattle would take on the task of making the modifiction. Also, they might carry down that you can buy in your desired quantity.

skinewmexico
01-09-2009, 01:56
Great down - http://sevenwondersdown.com/index.html

I bought a couple of Luxurylite bags that had some tubes underfilled. I just found a seam, opened it, put some down in a paper towel tube, and blew it in. Then I sewed it up. Worked pretty well.