PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever carried a Ukulele?

Crawl
01-09-2009, 05:06
I've got one, love playing around with it, hate to go 6 months without it.... anyone else have experience on this...Thanks! ........Crawl:-?

STEVEM
01-09-2009, 06:23
I've got one, love playing around with it, hate to go 6 months without it.... anyone else have experience on this...Thanks! ........Crawl:-?

I don't see a problem, as long as you're prepared to be named Tiny Tim.

DDuhon
01-09-2009, 07:58
I carry a small (1.1 pound) mandolin sometimes--especially nice for solo hikes. I strap it on the outside of the pack in its own bag. I guess the main thing is not to assume anyone else wants to hear you--I mostly bring it for off season solo hikes when I may be on my own. For some your playing may have the same effect as someone else playing a boom box. respect quiet. But it has been really nice sometimes.

Johnny Swank
01-09-2009, 07:58
I've gotten big into making cigar box guitars lately. Alot of those guy made their own ukes out of smaller metal cans and whatnot. Cheap, indestructable, and most importantly, cool. Google for more info, but I know I've seen one made from just an altoids tin and neck. It might be worth it to do that rather than destroy a good wood uke.

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 12:16
For sure. I saw at least two people hiking with one this last year. For that matter saw some people with guitars, half-size and full-size, plus a mandolin in one instance.

People love music in camp, you'll be everyone's best friend, assuming you're any good. ;)

Slo-go'en
01-09-2009, 12:52
I meet a guy with one a couple of years ago. It was quite amazing what he could do with just 4 strings! Orion had the mandolin last year and was quite good with it. Johnny Thunder was also very good on the guitar. I've also run into a few banjo players.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 12:57
instruments I've see or heard about include ukuleles, guitars, violins , mandolins, a clarinet, flutes, harmonicas, a bugle and a tuba. It is always great when you have a musician at your campsite. The exception being when you have 3 guys in camp all "learning" how to play the harmonica.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 12:58
banjos too. forgot about banjos. Saw two people with em' last year.

max patch
01-09-2009, 13:03
People love music in camp, you'll be everyone's best friend, assuming you're any good. ;)

not everyone will appreciate being forced to listen to someone elses music.

Tipi Walter
01-09-2009, 13:17
I guess the main thing is not to assume anyone else wants to hear you--I mostly bring it for off season solo hikes when I may be on my own. For some your playing may have the same effect as someone else playing a boom box. respect quiet.

I used to carry a clarinet and a wooden recorder out into the woods, pretending I actually enjoyed playing them. Just dead weight to me now. As payback for all the music I have made over the years, I guess I'm now assaulted by airplanes above, motorcycles below screaming down the hiways, and eager musicians on the trail. Don't assume anyone else wants to hear you. It's just noise pollution to me now.

For sure. I saw at least two people hiking with one this last year. For that matter saw some people with guitars, half-size and full-size, plus a mandolin in one instance.

Another good reason to avoid "people in camp", wherever it may be. Camp as far away as possible. This thread is making me seriously rethink about not attending the SORUCK.

instruments I've see or heard about include ukuleles, guitars, violins , mandolins, a clarinet, flutes, harmonicas, a bugle and a tuba. It is always great when you have a musician at your campsite. The exception being when you have 3 guys in camp all "learning" how to play the harmonica.

After years of full moon drummings in the Black Mountains of NC, Rainbow Gathering musical cluster-mucks in the Shining Rock and the Nantahalas, and long years of street musicians jamming on the sidewalk, I've had a bellyfull of human powered noise and want only to hear the wind, the snow hitting the tent fly and the rain on my back.

not everyone will appreciate being forced to listen to someone elses music.

The voice of reason. Amen.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 13:25
Actually, Max raised a very good point.

It is absolutely true that not everyone wants to hear music at a shelter or campsite, and this is certainly true if the sounds are coming from someone who isn't very good or is learning the instrument (this is about 95% of Trail musicians, by the way). There are fewer things more annoying at the end of the day that having to listen to an impromptu harmonica or jaw harp concert being given by someone who dosn't know how to play. Remarkable thing, tho, the musician invariably feels like he's doing everyone else a favor, which asssuredly, he isn't.

Don't assume that folks want to hear you play.

And I can guarantee you (especially those of you packing Trail guitars) that they sure in hell don't want to hear you sing, either.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 13:49
You sound like you may prefer not to stay at shelter areas. In thru-hiker season there will be lots of people there. Being respectful of others wishes is one thing. I have my rowdy moments but I'm not going to be hootin' & hollarin" at midnight. On the other hand, if someone cares enough about music to carry an instrument with them on their hike and wants to share their gift around the campfire at night, I say play on. Regardless of talent level its a much better sound than the hikers who get up at 4:30am, with total disregard for their fellow hikers trying to sleep, as they pack their gear as noisily as possible. These tend to be the same hikers that would have objected to music the previous evening because they had to get there rest.

Tipi Walter
01-09-2009, 13:52
My Dad was a professional clarinetist and a music professor and I myself ended up playing the clarinet in the Air Force Band and teaching it at a college for a few years and can tell you, never underestimate the massive EGO hiding within a musician's brain. I've seen them all, heck, I was one of them myself, had the biggest ego too. The musical newbs grab the golden ring just like the bigshot pros, and will squirrel their way into any gathering, eager to produce sound, hungry to express notes and to be heard.

Are the untrained worse? Naw, the well-trained go about it with real vigor just like the newbs, but the untrained slap things around a bit and produce a few incoherent tunes in their own peculiar way which is sort of fun to observe(from a distance). Sort of like watching a small ant carry a big crumb from above. Grab these newbs and throw them into a real-world practice room for 5 hours a day for several years and there will be a rapid readjustment to their musical Five Year Plan.

Sly
01-09-2009, 13:56
Another good reason to avoid "people in camp", wherever it may be. Camp as far away as possible. This thread is making me seriously rethink about not attending the SORUCK.

Huh? We've had people play in the cabins before but you're not likely to hear it camping.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 13:57
The fact that someone might "care enough about music" to carry around an instrument doesn't mean much if they aren't any good with it. To say that these instruments produce good sounds "regardless of talent level" is simply wrong. Compelling other people to listen to horrible music is unacceptable. I don't think they even do this in Guantanamo anymore, it's considered too inhumane.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2009, 14:01
Yeah, while I must say that many of the trail musicians I've heard are pretty darn good, some sound worse than a cat in heat.

Tipi Walter
01-09-2009, 14:02
You sound like you may prefer not to stay at shelter areas. In thru-hiker season there will be lots of people there. Being respectful of others wishes is one thing. I have my rowdy moments but I'm not going to be hootin' & hollarin" at midnight. On the other hand, if someone cares enough about music to carry an instrument with them on their hike and wants to share their gift around the campfire at night, I say play on. Regardless of talent level its a much better sound than the hikers who get up at 4:30am, with total disregard for their fellow hikers trying to sleep, as they pack their gear as noisily as possible. These tend to be the same hikers that would have objected to music the previous evening because they had to get there rest.

I would question your words, "share their gift". Your shelter description makes backpacking sound like a hike thru a tent-village of homeless people set up in the middle of Los Angeles. And back to sharing their gift, what exact gift is it these people are sharing around the fire at night? "Regardless of talent level" might be a redefinition of sharing the gift, so maybe it's not really a gift after all. Another good reason to avoid shelters. But does anyone really need a good reason?

If someone cranked up his boombox at a shelter, or whipped out his bango, what's the difference??

Lyle
01-09-2009, 14:07
I've hiked with several folks who carried and played guitars and recorders. I enjoyed listening to them most of the time, but they were discriminate where and when they played. Two fantastic places were:

Mammoth Cave, down in the caves - talk about acoustics, several of the tour groups got backed up standing around listening to the impromptu concert.

Another time was on the CDT, several miles north of Wolf Creek Pass. My partner and I heard Will playing, but never figured out exactly where he was, somewhere in the rocks above us. Beautiful sound.

I say take it along, learn to play privately, and be considerate of others at shelters and group camps, ask before indulging.

Tipi Walter
01-09-2009, 14:08
Compelling other people to listen to horrible music is unacceptable. I don't think they even do this in Guantanamo anymore, it's considered too inhumane.

Now that's funny.

And anyway, what serious musician would dare haul his instrument out into the woods for several days? A good quitar ain't cheap, a violin can easily cost $40,000, and a good wooden clarinet is about $4000. Sure, I hauled my Buffet B-flat out for several weeks in my pack, wrapped in a down vest, but never played it and was stump stupid to even bring it.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 14:14
For all you Tipper Gores out there, I'm not a musician and never have been but I will be doing some AT sections this year and you've just convinced me to take up the harmonica. You've been warned

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 14:42
Actually, Rockhound, Mrs. Gore's beef with the music industry was over obscene lyrics, and not obscenely horrible music.

And of the two, the bad music is by far the greater sin.

Crawl
01-09-2009, 14:42
Well, sounds mostly negative, guess I will start again after the trail.....Thanks......Crawl

Live the Journey
01-09-2009, 14:45
My gut reaction to your question was "gosh I wish that sometime on the trail I run into someone with an instrument!"

I think it would be lovely

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 15:02
Mostly negetive, eh?

Then why is it that when people would play music at shelters, usually most of the people in the area would gather around to listen and sing along? There'd be a few people who hate it, but they tend to be the ones that don't like shelters anyways. They're out in the woods to get away from crowds (certainly not a bad reason, and I'm there for the same reason sometimes myself).

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 15:31
Don't let em discourage you. You'll have plenty of time to play along the trail. I think the underlying message here is just be respectful of others. The same holds true with dogs. Nobody says you can't bring your dog with you. Just be sure your dog does not go jumping up on people, keep everyone up all night or pee on their gear. Refraining from these actions also apply to humans by the way. If you want to take a drink have at it. Just remember you are responsible for your own actions. Yes occasionally
you'll run into a bad dog, a bad drunk or, god forbid, a bad musician. If I had to get stuck at a campsite with any of the three, I'd pick the bad musician any day. Pack that uke Crawl. Lets jam.

floyd242
01-09-2009, 16:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vei8lDklas

Johnny Thunder
01-09-2009, 16:32
Don't let Baltimore Jack scare you...he has a soft spot for one song...but, I'm not saying which one it is. I suggest you find him on the trail and discover it for yourself (through trial and error...lots of trial and error).

Tipi Walter
01-09-2009, 16:34
For all you Tipper Gores out there, I'm not a musician and never have been but I will be doing some AT sections this year and you've just convinced me to take up the harmonica. You've been warned

Actually, Rockhound, Mrs. Gore's beef with the music industry was over obscene lyrics, and not obscenely horrible music.

And of the two, the bad music is by far the greater sin.

Yeah, mouth off to me all the bad lyrics you want, just don't start a musical phrase.

My gut reaction to your question was "gosh I wish that sometime on the trail I run into someone with an instrument!"

I think it would be lovely

Young, undefiled ears. Soon to be coarsened.

Mostly negetive, eh?

Then why is it that when people would play music at shelters, usually most of the people in the area would gather around to listen and sing along? There'd be a few people who hate it, but they tend to be the ones that don't like shelters anyways. They're out in the woods to get away from crowds (certainly not a bad reason, and I'm there for the same reason sometimes myself).

I'd say the people that squirm into the rat hole and gather round for music are fresh from the still-warm teat of syphilization and can't bear to spend a quiet evening out in the woods. The silence or what's left of it might actually rake across their still-drooling midbrains fresh from a 20 hour stint on the couch in front of their entertainment centers. Maybe this is why the typical AT hiker pulls short trips interspersed with frequent town interruptions--to feed the cacophony . . . phew, ignore me, I need a break in the sun.

Don't let em discourage you. You'll have plenty of time to play along the trail. I think the underlying message here is just be respectful of others. The same holds true with dogs. Nobody says you can't bring your dog with you. Just be sure your dog does not go jumping up on people, keep everyone up all night or pee on their gear. Refraining from these actions also apply to humans by the way. If you want to take a drink have at it. Just remember you are responsible for your own actions. Yes occasionally
you'll run into a bad dog, a bad drunk or, god forbid, a bad musician. If I had to get stuck at a campsite with any of the three, I'd pick the bad musician any day. Pack that uke Crawl. Lets jam.

I could encourage you to be discouraged, but I'm a jaded old bum. I'm just glad my dog doesn't play an instrument or he'd be hiking alone.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2009, 16:34
Its a nice day for a WHITE WEDDING!

Johnny Thunder
01-09-2009, 16:36
Start Agaaaaaaaaiiiiin...Wooooh!

Footslogger
01-09-2009, 17:05

==================================

Since my thru in 2003 I've taken up the Mandolin. Similar in size to the Ukulele and I would probably consider carrying it if I ever hiked again. I'm not that good but have mastered a handful of chords, which is all you need to create a song.

There were several hikers in 2003 who carried the small backpacking guitars. Enjoyed being around them from time to time. Music and laughter breaks up the monotony of long distance hiking.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 17:06
Crawl:

I've re-thought this. I must've been sort of crabby this morning.

When someone makes the voluntary decision to stay at a shelter or large established campsite, then one does so knowing that they're going to be sharing the space with other folks. This means that inevitably, there's going to be noise from these folks, and noise takes different forms. People overly troubled by this would most likely do well be overnighting somewhere else. After all, if you don't stay where the crowds and crowd noise are centered, then you won't be bothered by it.

Assuming that you know how to play the instrument reasonably well, by all means bring it along with you and play it. Some folks may well enjoy it.

Have a great trip.

max patch
01-09-2009, 17:13
Hmmmmm.......Did Jack forget to log off the computer again?

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 17:18
Nope, that was me all right.

The right to change one's mind can be a beautiful thing.

I still think most Trail musicians are pretty dreadful (and 99.9% of those who insist on accompanying their playing with singing!), but if one elects to stay at a shelter or crowded campsite, then you deserve what you get. If one really wants peace, quiet, tranquility, and solitude while hiking, it's not hard to find.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 17:25
Even you must admit Jack, when you run into that .1% it's a beautiful thing.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 17:39
And winning Powerball, marrying Shania Twain, getting my knees replaced, and losing 30 pounds would also be beautiful things.

None of which I expect to happen this week. :D

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 18:02
I'd say the people that squirm into the rat hole and gather round for music are fresh from the still-warm teat of syphilization and can't bear to spend a quiet evening out in the woods. The silence or what's left of it might actually rake across their still-drooling midbrains fresh from a 20 hour stint on the couch in front of their entertainment centers. Maybe this is why the typical AT hiker pulls short trips interspersed with frequent town interruptions--to feed the cacophony . . . phew, ignore me, I need a break in the sun.

Or maybe they've been doing a thru, and miss music really bad.

I mean, I love the silence of nature, and hated town stops for breaking up my time in nature, but sometimes I want to hear some music and hang out with people around a campfire. What's wrong with that? Not everyone can or wants to live in a tepee for a few years; most people out there, yeah, they're from civilization. And most are trying to get away from it in one way or another; but not everyone's going to go as far as you did/do; and music is a basic human need, at least for a lot of people. Even so, I think you should give them more credit than just having "still drooling midbrains fresh from a 20 hour stint on the couch..." You're making some major assumptions saying they couldn't bear a night of silence, too. Comes off pretty arrogant and pretentious-like.

Tipi Walter
01-09-2009, 18:58
Or maybe they've been doing a thru, and miss music really bad.

I mean, I love the silence of nature, and hated town stops for breaking up my time in nature, but sometimes I want to hear some music and hang out with people around a campfire. What's wrong with that? Not everyone can or wants to live in a tepee for a few years; most people out there, yeah, they're from civilization. And most are trying to get away from it in one way or another; but not everyone's going to go as far as you did/do; and music is a basic human need, at least for a lot of people. Even so, I think you should give them more credit than just having "still drooling midbrains fresh from a 20 hour stint on the couch..." You're making some major assumptions saying they couldn't bear a night of silence, too. Comes off pretty arrogant and pretentious-like.

It's hard to go on a rant and not sound arrogant and pretentious, but the quote("still drooling")has a nice ring to it. I guess any amount of criticism could sound arrogant, all depending on viewpoint, etc.

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 19:11
Yeah, good point.

And for the record, I'm jealous of your years of tepee-living. Someday I hope to do something like it.

Crawl
01-10-2009, 05:24
Well...I would really love to take it, it was just yesterday morning, not too many liked the idea, I'm new to hiking and thru hiking, just trying to be responsible and not step of toes or feelings. I am not planning to be up real late any night, I will really need my rest,I know.... anything I start, I just want to great better at, improve. I think I'll take it, but because of the responces, will be very aware of when and where I practise.... even if I must wander off to do it....and no, I am not good at it.....yet.... but each day I practise and play better.... Thanks for all your responces! .....Crawl

TOW
01-10-2009, 08:27
I wrote a story about a guy who played a Ukulele on my front porch.......
http://damascus.org/larryfrontporch.html

Worldwide
01-10-2009, 09:34
If you carry a ukelele be assured your trail name will be Don Ho from thereafter

Crawl
01-10-2009, 19:51
I ain't no Ho....;)