PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Damascus

squirrel bait
04-21-2004, 09:19
While reading some of the older posts on section hiking this 118.5 miles I noticed that alot of fellow hikers commented on the cold on Roan Mt. Leaving May 1st what kind of conditions can I expect? Good raingear and warm clothing seems to be the main concern. Is leaving Erwin with 5 days supply of food the standard to get to Kincora Hostel? Is this a good area to slackpack? I plan on staying at Kincora so do you pay by the mileage for slackpacking your stuff or is this included? I really don't want to slackpack but I do want to make it Damascus. As ya all say, quess I'll find out but I don't want to create a dangerous situation for myself or anyone else. Thanks.

Jaybird
04-21-2004, 09:48
While reading some of the older posts on section hiking this 118.5 miles I noticed that alot of fellow hikers commented on the cold on Roan Mt. Leaving May 1st .........the standard to get to Kincora Hostel? Is this a good area to slackpack? I plan on staying at Kincora so do you pay by the mileage for slackpacking your stuff or is this included? ..............

squirrel bait

i think you'll be fine for a May 1st Roan Mountain hike!
"TeePee" & I have crossed Roan several times in September, November & even December....& there ARE some major winds across the top of the mountain & the balds...you should be okay with springtime gear.

the hikers i talk to...usually slack-pack somewhere around the Kincora Hostel area. It's a 9-mile stretch from Kincora to US321 just outside Hampton,TN.

i left my 30+ lb pack with "TeePee" on our last day of hiking in 2003 & walked the 9 miles @ a rapid pace...along with 2 water bottles & a single use camera...(see www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird (http://www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird) for photos of this trip)

Bob & Pat Peoples (owner/operators of Kincorra Hostel) are the greatest & nicest people in the world...will shuttle you to town (just a few miles away) or pick you up @ the other end of this 9 mile stretch. Their suggested price for an overnight stay is $4....but, leave a few extra for KINDNESS! :D

On May 1st this year...i'll be starting our section-hike with "Jigsaw", "Model T", "TooTall" & "DragonFly" from Clingmans to Hot Springs.

good luck!

scburleson2003
04-21-2004, 10:26
I went up to that area this spring break, i would recommend going from apple house shelter to beauty spot. You can go by ms. janets house to get a shuttle.

Moon Monster
04-21-2004, 12:11
The Peoples will do that nine mile slack for free (but I also suggest leaving some extra cash in their donations box to compensate) and they have some other options/lengths generally available for slacking. They keep a list in the hostel but maybe someone else here knows what roads they usually go between?

The tippy top of Roan (where the shelter is) can easily be colder than surrounding areas and it can get several inches of snow in May when lower spots see only rain. It got 18 inches of snow one day in mid-April last year when the Humps just north got only 6-9 inches and when local points below 4,000 feet got only a dusting. But, Roan can also see 80 degrees and a hot sun in early May. Carry gear for possible cold rains and choose campsites below Roan's summits and away from the treeless balds if it does happen to be cold and windy one night.

chris
04-21-2004, 12:14
I did this part in about 5.5 days in 02, with (semi healed) shin splints, and found parts somewhat challenging, although I understand they have rerouted part of the trail north of 19E to alleviate this somewhat. From Watuga north to Damascus is pretty easy walking. The climb up Roan Mountain is long, but isn't particularly difficult (sweat hard, legs tired, but nothing worse), and you have big time rewards after the 3000 ft of gain. I was crossing the area around May 23 and had fine weather, with temps in the upper 70s in the day and upper 50s at night. However, the few days before saw temperatures peaking in the 50s and crashing into the upper 20s at night, and this was down near Erwin. The Roan range is pretty exposed, so if there is weather in the area it will hit you. However, it also isn't very long and if you need to you can get through the exposed areas fast.

Peaks
04-26-2004, 10:45
It's 66 miles from Erwin to Kincora. So, probably 5 days is probably a good average.

Now, when I came over Roan Mountain in the middle of May, 2002, it was sleeting. Hard frost in the valleys killed many gardens.

Deerleg
04-26-2004, 11:57
I walked across Roan this past fall and it was one wet wet afternoon! I talked to some other hikers the next day that were only about 6 miles north of me during the rain and they had none at all…you will note all the moss on the trees up there as well, indicating how wet and damp it stays quite a bit of the time. I spent the night alone in the old ranger cabin and it stayed fogy all night. I have a bookmark for Doppler radar in that area and check it every now and than and note that as the clouds pass over Roan they dump the rain there when it may not be raining anywhere else! Kincora is great, I’m sure Bob may suggest you slack over Pine Mountain, as it is a lot of work for a section of trail that’s not terribly scenic.

flyfisher
04-26-2004, 14:13
On May 1st this year...i'll be starting our section-hike with "Jigsaw", "Model T", "TooTall" & "DragonFly" from Clingmans to Hot Springs.

good luck!

Jaybird,

I saw the section over on Model-T's website just this AM. Have a great hike! I plan the same section later in the summer.