PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with a tough call...

skinny minnie
01-09-2009, 13:33
So I've read a few posts on here where people have asked about money and budgets, or about walking away from a job in order to hike. It's been interesting seeing the different answers while tryng to decide the same issue for myself. I've been planning a thru-hike for '09. But for the past few months, I've finally started looking at what happens after my hike. If I hike now, I won't have the money I need to go back to school and change careers. If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers, continuing education and staying debt-free while supporting myself.

I'm not going to lie: thinking about postponing makes me miserable. I still keep hoping something will change, that my job will give me a leave of absence, etc. but I'm starting accept that maybe, given the economy and my goals... I need to suck it up and be more responsible for one more year first. It stinks that higher education costs so much.

I just saw a post on another thread where someone shared how they put off their hike for a year to save more and it made me feel a lot better. It's been really tough even starting to accept this decision. A part of me still wants to just hike this year and see what happens.

If you feel like weighing in and sharing your opinion, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Red Hat
01-09-2009, 13:36
Don't wait, do it now!

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 13:40
I'm not sure I get this:

You say if you hike now, you'll have no money at the end of your trip for school or anything else, as all of your money will have gone to the hike.

You then say that if you wait a year (and presumably work really hard and save as much as you can), then you can hike AND still have some money in the bank for other things afterwards.

It seems that your plan involves taking some time (perhaps as much as a year) in order to work and save money for other things.

If this is the case, then what difference does it make when you do this? I.e., if you need to work and save money for awhile before being able to do other things, then how does it make any difference whether or not you do this in 2009 or 2010? Either way, it looks like you're gonna have to go to work for awhile and save some bucks.

Meaning if you REALLY want to hike now, you should.

Unless you have a job opportunity right now that is both personally rewarding and well-paying, I'd go for a hike. It's a remarkable way to clear your head while you figure out what you want to do in the future.

Johnny Swank
01-09-2009, 13:41
I'd wait, but sometimes one year can turn into 10 if you're not careful. It did for me. Having little money at the end of a hike can really put you in a bad place.

snowhoe
01-09-2009, 13:43
If you wait you will be waiting until you retirer you win the lottery. DO IT NOW! If you got the money and time no kids This is a no brainer.

max patch
01-09-2009, 13:44
If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers, continuing education and staying debt-free while supporting myself.

Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

Desert Reprobate
01-09-2009, 13:44
Another year for the peace of mind. The trail isn't going anywhere

mountain squid
01-09-2009, 13:48
The trail will still be there...if you decide not to go this year, maybe you can do Trail Days or 'trail magic' up in MA when the hikers are coming through or maybe some short sections or some other way to be involved on the AT.

If finances are a concern now, will you be able to 'enjoy' a hike this year or will you always be thinking about your finances?

Just some thoughts...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Brett
01-09-2009, 14:01
Do it while its hot in your head....who knows what things you may learn about yourself and your life on this voyage. You may finish the hike, go home, and discover you REALLY dont wanna be at this job or going this direction in school...or whatever. If you feel right about going now...do it. Trust in God and everything will be fine :)

Lybarger
01-09-2009, 14:11
It's a remarkable way to clear your head while you figure out what you want to do in the future.

I have talked with many hikers who at the end of their hike had no clear answers about their future.

skinny minnie
01-09-2009, 14:15
I'm not sure I get this:

You say if you hike now, you'll have no money at the end of your trip for school or anything else, as all of your money will have gone to the hike.

You then say that if you wait a year (and presumably work really hard and save as much as you can), then you can hike AND still have some money in the bank for other things afterwards.

It seems that your plan involves taking some time (perhaps as much as a year) in order to work and save money for other things.

If this is the case, then what difference does it make when you do this? I.e., if you need to work and save money for awhile before being able to do other things, then how does it make any difference whether or not you do this in 2009 or 2010? Either way, it looks like you're gonna have to go to work for awhile and save some bucks.

Meaning if you REALLY want to hike now, you should.

Unless you have a job opportunity right now that is both personally rewarding and well-paying, I'd go for a hike. It's a remarkable way to clear your head while you figure out what you want to do in the future.

Well, I graduated with a degree in a field where it is very tough to find decent paying full time employment. So that's what is making a difference. I don't make tons of money now and my job isn't especially rewarding, but it is highly specialized and I do know that with the economy in the dumps, job hunting when I come back could be a challenge. I can either chose to pay my way through school fairly easily, or struggle and possibly incur a lot of debt by starting over at an entry level job when I finish hiking. Basically, the lousy economy has made me put a lot more thought into this, and I'm wondering if it's better to stay at a known job for a while longer and make money, or gamble on being able to make the same amount when I come back, in a field with very limited options.

I do agree that it's the perfect way to clear my head and that's part of why I was looking forward to this so much. It's been hard trying to figure out what is right.

Thanks for the opinions. :)

jersey joe
01-09-2009, 14:26
Skinny Minnie, I say do it now, your life will only get MORE complicated.

Rockhound
01-09-2009, 14:29
not sure who this quote is by (Mark Twain?) It goes something like, "When you look back at your life you will regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did." also after completing a Thru-hike you might decide to change your future plans. The AT has been known to have that effect on people. I say live in the moment. Far too many people work their entire lives saving for the day when they can enjoy themselves only to find that when that day comes, age, infirmities or other circumstances prevent them from realizing their dreams. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.....

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 14:36
I have talked with many hikers who at the end of their hike had no clear answers about their future.

I'm one of those! Thought I'd figure it out on the AT. But now all I wanna do is hike/live in the woods!

And, I'd stay with your job and wait a year. I for one haven't been able to find any steady work since I finished my hike. And since, unlike me, you have actual goals (like school), it's worthwhile to wait and be a bit more secure in your economic situation.

But, be careful, or you may keep putting it off year after year; there's always going to be a reason to. At some point you do just have to walk away from things and hike. Most people don't get a 5-6 month leave from their job. So keep that in mind.

Nitro
01-09-2009, 14:39
If you decide to postpone the trail for a year, how about spending that year doing small (weekend) sections? Do the Approach Trail. Maybe head from Springer to Neal(s) on a long weekend. Or maybe some weekend trips in the SNP, or further north.

Short trips will keep your excitment up for 2010 AND give you a good feeling about what to expect on the long trip.

The Solemates
01-09-2009, 14:41
Well, I graduated with a degree in a field where it is very tough to find decent paying full time employment. So that's what is making a difference. I don't make tons of money now and my job isn't especially rewarding, but it is highly specialized and I do know that with the economy in the dumps, job hunting when I come back could be a challenge. I can either chose to pay my way through school fairly easily, or struggle and possibly incur a lot of debt by starting over at an entry level job when I finish hiking. Basically, the lousy economy has made me put a lot more thought into this, and I'm wondering if it's better to stay at a known job for a while longer and make money, or gamble on being able to make the same amount when I come back, in a field with very limited options.

I do agree that it's the perfect way to clear my head and that's part of why I was looking forward to this so much. It's been hard trying to figure out what is right.

Thanks for the opinions. :)

sounds to me like you need to wait. but then again, i dont understand why you went to school for a degree you cannot use in the first place. make sure you get it right the 2nd go around.

Lilred
01-09-2009, 14:43
I'd hike now while I had the money and time. No telling what can happen in a year. Life is too short to put things off. I knew someone who wanted to hike the AT. He was 52 and even though he had the money, and could take a leave, he decided to wait till retirement. After all, the trail will always be there.

He died of a heart attack 3 days ago.

rcli4
01-09-2009, 14:50
I am a conservative get a job kinda guy. Folks that are trail bums and care free spirits are nice folks but they live off the fringes and left overs of society. You don't seem to be that kinda person. Doing the responsible thing would be to put off your hike. I will tell you this, To everything their is a season. If you truly want to hike, you better do it now. The fire in your belly to go will abate but never disappear. If now is your time to go it will not come back the way it is now. Life has a way of happening to you. A year from now you could be married with a mortage. If you feel this is your time, go!!! It may never be your time again.

Clyde

nufsaid
01-09-2009, 14:54
If I hike now, I won't have the money I need to go back to school and change careers. If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers, continuing education and staying debt-free while supporting myself.

As you already realize, in the end it is your decision. Remember that those with well meaning opinions do not have to deal with the actual consequences. That being said, I have to agree with Max Patch that you seem to have already given this a lot of thought and come up with your decision. Best of luck no matter which way you go.

Blissful
01-09-2009, 14:56
Another year for the peace of mind. The trail isn't going anywhere

Agree.

Who knows what the future holds financially anyway. If you will be in better shape in a year to meet your goals and hike without the burden of anxiety and worry, then wait. This trip is supposed to be an adventure of a lifetime. Many have had to leave because of financial obligations. Plan and hike when you are ready to do so.

Tilly
01-09-2009, 15:06
I think that mentally it would be easier to hike if your finances are nice and black, not to mention having a job lined up and money to tide you over.

A year goes fast.

Ender
01-09-2009, 15:47
It's easier to go into debt than get out of debt. Much easier. The trail isn't going to go anywhere, so wait if you can. If however the pull is too much to ignore, and you can live with the debt, maybe go hiking.

Mags
01-09-2009, 15:58
I'd work a year, save money and then go hiking. Yes, the danger is getting caught up in your job and putting it off, but being debt free AND having money saved up will let you do more hikes in the long run.

You'll just need dedication and passion to make sure you hike next year. Try not to get caught up in the trappings of a modern lifestyle if you want to go hiking next year (new TV, car, etc.). Live frugally, save money this coming year and have freedom to do hikes.

Good luck!

skinny minnie
01-09-2009, 17:03
Thanks for the many opinions and input. It's good to have others weigh in, especially with encouragement.

I'm definitely trying my best to just save money and hunker down. No big spending in my future. I do agree that debt is scarily easy to accumulate and there is no way I want to go through that ever again. I'm debt free right now... but it took a lot longer than expected.

I have for the most part decided to hold off... as some of you have noticed. :) But hearing others weigh in really helps with the whole peace of mind thing. I've been giving myself a hard time with self-doubt and it helps me to voice things.

Those who mentioned staying involved with the trail and thru-hikers are right! Such a positive, great idea. I've got a lot of hikes I never got to this summer... and I will be sure to make them happen this year. Not to mention a few friends who will be thru-hiking. I'll be looking forward to supporting others until I'm out there myself.

BR360
01-09-2009, 17:13
Skinny Minnie,
If it was me, I would wait a year.

I'd be thankful I had a paying job where i could build greater self-reliance for the long-term. Money in the bank would be my "shelter" that I could go to after my hike...a place of comfort and security during a storm. Not having that money would be like going along on a trail without a tent, hoping that someone up ahead will shelter you.

Unless you have family money you're willing to fall back on.:D

During that year of building my resources, I would do weekend trips and week-long trips. I'd explore places that were cool, maybe NOT on the AT.

FWIW, I once dreamed with obsessive passion of sailing around the world. It was a big, expensive, hairy, audacious goal. Yet I never did more than day-trips, overnighters and week long trips in the Keys, the Bahamas and along the coast of the Carolinas.

I still have occasional wisps of dreams about that, but I do NOT regret not ever doing it. Other things came into my life that intrigued me, other challenges, other fulfillments.

The most fulfilling thing I have ever done is become a father, and I would trade all my past adventures for this experience. YMMV.

That's my view on things.

Tagless
01-09-2009, 18:15
My wife and I had originally planned to thru hike in 08, but postponed one year in order to become debt free. For us this was the right decision as we accomplished our goal and have no financial worries. That will be a comfortable mindset for us when we depart this March 3, 2009.

As others have suggested, we did some great section hiking the past year to gain experience and keep our enthusiasm up.

garlic08
01-09-2009, 19:20
I also support your decision to wait. Age does not always equal inactivity and anchorage. If you keep the trail as a goal, you won't get sidetracked with other responsibilities. If you don't get married and have kids in the meantime, another year or even decade won't hurt. There's nothing wrong with being a productive member of so-called society for a while.

Marta
01-09-2009, 19:37
One thing to consider: 75 or 80% of people who start the Trail, don't finish it. If you end up back home earlier than planned, what would your life be like? Would you be really, really wishing you had waited and worked that extra year?

karoberts
01-09-2009, 19:40
If you don't do it now, you run the risk of never doing it at all. You don't know what may happen in the next year that may make it impossible. If you can do it now, then do it now!

KG4FAM
01-09-2009, 19:48
Go straight from the hike to school. This way your income is lower when you apply for financial aid and can get more. If you hike then work then go to school your income will be higher as you come into school making your expected family(self) contribution more. When you first go back to school your previous 1.5 years of work affects you if you start in the fall semester for 2 years in school. If you start in the spring semester your past 2 years of work affects your first 1.5 years in school. So the best plan is to start a NOBO hike early and finish by fall semester so you have no income during that time. That makes the previous 1 year affect your 1st year in school. Of course this is figuring the gov't has the money to put out for grants while we are in this depression.

prain4u
01-09-2009, 20:19
Skinny Minnie,
The good news is that you cannot make a "wrong" decision here. So I would encourage you to not get overly concerned about making the "right" decision.

In life, we are seldom presented with an option which is 100% "correct" or 100% "incorrect". Almost any choice that we make will have some "pluses" and it will also have some significant "minuses". Thus, it really all comes down to YOU deciding which pluses and which minuses YOU would prefer to live with at this point in your life. Then, once you make your decision, I would invite you to never go back and "second guess" yourself. Trust that your decision was "good" and "right" (at least at the time that you made it).

Having said all of that, what would Ido if I were presented with the same choices as you? I would most likely attempt the thru hike in 2009--because that would probably be the "best" decision FOR ME (based upon what I have seen and what I have experienced in my life). Your "best" decision might be completely different.

As I get older, I have discovered that most people will USUALLY find a way to eventually get back to school, change a career, or become debt free (if it is important to them). However, we humans rarely get around to doing the "fun" things such as taking a cruise around the world, hiking the AT or traveling across Europe. Society often trains us to believe that "responsible people" put off their "fun" dreams until the timing is "right". In 2009, we think that our situation will be "better" in 2010. So we wait. In 2010, we think things will be "even better" in 2011--so we wait another year, etc. Eventually, it is 2040 and we still haven't accompolished our "fun" goals.

As a pastor, I have buried hundreds of people. On their deathbed, I have had many people express regret that they did not spend more time with their family. I have had quite a few people express regret that they never got around to taking that "big fun trip" that they always wanted to take. However, I have never once had a dying person tell me that they wished that they had spent more time at work, had a better job, or earned more money.

SO, if I were age 25 again, but had the same information and experiences that I have now at age 47, I would probably decide to thru hike the AT in 2009.

superman
01-09-2009, 20:42
Forget about hiking the AT. You're too wishy washy...you won't make it anyway.:)

johnnybgood
01-09-2009, 21:20
If I hike now, I won't have the money I need to go back to school and change careers. If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers.[/quote]
Tough call my friend but ultimately you must decide this for yourself.

River Runner
01-09-2009, 23:42

Just something else to consider. Is your job really secure? If you get laid off in the near future will you be able to meet any of your goals? Will you still be able to thru hike in 2010? It just might prove easier to get a job in 2010 than to keep one now.

It's a chance either way, but then life really always is.

mikec
01-09-2009, 23:48
I'm in a similar situation myself. Quit the job in June and do my final 600 miles, wait a year, take a month of and just do 300 miles. It's agonizing. Maybe I'll see you on the trail later this year.

DapperD
01-10-2009, 01:10
So I've read a few posts on here where people have asked about money and budgets, or about walking away from a job in order to hike. It's been interesting seeing the different answers while tryng to decide the same issue for myself. I've been planning a thru-hike for '09. But for the past few months, I've finally started looking at what happens after my hike. If I hike now, I won't have the money I need to go back to school and change careers. If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers, continuing education and staying debt-free while supporting myself.

I'm not going to lie: thinking about postponing makes me miserable. I still keep hoping something will change, that my job will give me a leave of absence, etc. but I'm starting accept that maybe, given the economy and my goals... I need to suck it up and be more responsible for one more year first. It stinks that higher education costs so much.

I just saw a post on another thread where someone shared how they put off their hike for a year to save more and it made me feel a lot better. It's been really tough even starting to accept this decision. A part of me still wants to just hike this year and see what happens.

If you feel like weighing in and sharing your opinion, I'd be interested in hearing it.In Christopher Whalen's "Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes" he writes that "It's a very good idea to have more money available in reserve than you think you will need" and "You can hike the Trail for much less money, but why deprive yourself? Work another year at your job,then hike,and finish with money still in the bank." If you feel it is a dream that you want to fulfill but feel at this time, this coming season, it is not a practical thing to do due to your unique circumstances, then in my opinion you need to listen to your thoughts, to begin a thru-hike with financial apprehension and future uncertainty may be acceptable for some, but it doesn't sound as if this applies to you and it will most likely detract from your overall enjoyment of the hike.

bikerscars
01-10-2009, 01:18
do you have anyone that depends on you staying employed or are you the only potential casualty if financial hard times hit...
do you have a relative you could depend on to see you through tough financial times if all goes wrong (place to stay/food)...
could you not worry when hiking or would the financial uncertainty find a way of creeping in your thoughts throughout the hike
try not to agonize over it...you already know the answer
but then again

Nearly Normal
01-10-2009, 11:59
Sometimes a choice of path can kinda drag you along with it.
As with most folks, your responsibilites usually increase with age, job and family. It will probably be harder to get away for 6 months the longer you wait.

boarstone
01-10-2009, 12:26
When in doubt---don't....

dmax
01-10-2009, 12:26
Stay in school. I wonder what the stats are for people who drop out of school and never go back to finish. If you decide to skip school and hike the trail, things could go wrong. If you don't make it but a month or two, you will then be out of work and school. Take the extra time you will have this year to hike different places around the area you live. You could even go to places like the grand canyon or yosemite... on your school breaks.

d'shadow
01-19-2009, 20:36
[quote=skinny minnie;755024]So I've read a few posts on here where people have asked about money and budgets, or about walking away from a job in order to hike. It's been interesting seeing the different answers while tryng to decide the same issue for myself. I've been planning a thru-hike for '09. But for the past few months, I've finally started looking at what happens after my hike. If I hike now, I won't have the money I need to go back to school and change careers. If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers, continuing education and staying debt-free while supporting myself.

Only you can answer the question of when you hike. However, many people have to drop off the trail because they run out of money. And money worries may detract from your enjoyment of this new adventure.
Waiting a year is not a long time, and it may be worth the wait, if, you will be able to save the money you need for a thru-hike. Go over your budget, step back and take a look at your choices and you will make the right decision for you. good luck!

Tudor
01-19-2009, 21:04
Here is the experience of another 25 year old. I attempted a SOBO in '04 that ended in Monson due to a badly sprained ankle. I re-attempted a SOBO in '06 and had the pleasure of getting my ID stolen and my bank account drained to a HUGE negative amount. Found out in NH. I am doing a NOBO this year as many things have happened all at once. I lost a $55k/year job in November last year b/c of the economy. My fiancee went Splits-ville with the safety net gone. I've been given some lemons, but here is my lemonade. I have 2 single friends who can rent my house, and share the cost of my other bills while I am away, and possibly longer. I have half the gear I had when I hiked in '06, so my gear cost is gonna be much lower. I have a huge tax-refund that I can use as a buffer, as I am gonna need it as I get back to 'Reality'. I also know that I will never be the same until I can thru-hike this D@mn Trail! lol My disadvantages are in fact my advantages, so to speak.

This is in no way to influence you one way or the other, but just an example from your own demographic. Oh yeah, haven't been to college yet either! lol Says something in and of itself now.

weary
01-19-2009, 23:20
My vote is to get an education leading to work you love. I bounced around too many years. I finally gained the beginning skills for a job I loved. I rarely took a sick day -- none in the last decade before retiring -- I so loved what I was doing each day. The trail is special. I loved every day of that also.

But I would get my life together first, and make the trail a transition from school to a lifetime of constructive employment.

Weary

Kanati
01-20-2009, 00:19
SkiMin-
You sound like an intelligent person who puts a lot of thought into what you want to do and when you want to do it. That is good. But I also notice that you have trouble coming to a decision and ask others to help.

What you're going to learn from the trail experience is self reliance and decision making. By the time you finish you won't need anybody in that department.

As for when to do it. I put it off for at least 20 years because I had so many responsibilities, but I don't actually regret it. During that time I kept in great physical shape and when I finally retired and hit the trail last March I didn't have to worry about whether I could make it or not. My biggest hang up was a non-supportive wife. That added weight to my pack. But I learned a long time ago to be self-reliant, so except for having to cheer her up every time we talked it really wasn't a big problem. I left the trail in ME with only 268 miles to go but it was because I was tired of hiking and my interest had changed. I am however, looking forward to returning and finishing this summer.

Happy hiking. :sun

stranger
01-20-2009, 00:34
There is always a reason, and I do mean always a reason, to put something off. The easiest thing to do in this world is to "not do something".

First off, there is no guarantee that you will complete a thru-hike.

Second, many hikers go through a large transformation during their hike, regardless of how long they are out there, and are likely to be more confused when they get off the trail.

Third, you could get hit by a bus in 6 months and never hike again.

Why wait? What good ever comes out of putting things off? The only reason why I would put off the hike is if you don't have enough money NOW to complete a thru-hike, then I think it makes sense. Too many hikers run out of money and have money problems along the way.

But if you have 5 grand now - you don't know what you're missing!

Jim Adams
01-20-2009, 00:44
Job is low pay and you really don't care that much for it???!!!
No brainer...HIKE! If the pay is low, get a job doing anything that you can for the same low pay when you return.
Did you watch 20/20 last week? Story was about college being the biggest rip-off in America currently. People are graduating with major debt and never making good money in the field of study that they schooled for OR can't get a job in their field at all. Answer according to 20/20 financial advisors was to attend trade schools for a better life and future.
Hike now!

geek

skinewmexico
01-20-2009, 00:53
Successful people can delay gratification. It's no big deal to wait. You can do lots of little trips in the interim.

DuctTape
01-20-2009, 01:07
Just go hike. Imagine how much better you'll feel after you commit to that final decision.

If you make that final decision and it doesn't make you feel better, well, then, don't hike this year.

nitewalker
01-20-2009, 08:23

If you feel like weighing in and sharing your opinion, I'd be interested in hearing it.

stay at your job and make some loot. try section hiking for this year then figure out where you are at in your life. once spring fades away you will lose some of the springer fever itch, only some....

chicote
01-20-2009, 15:27
I'd save save save and hike in 2010. We saved for two years when we finally quit our jobs. It was nice not having to worry too much about finances on the trail or getting back into the scene after the trail. But the money goes fast when you are "looking" for work. It's only one year to wait – it'll go in the blink of an eye. And when you finally get out there... you'll be so happy you waited.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 14:47
"Run rabbit run...dig that hole. Forget the sun....When at last your work is done, don't sit down. It's time to dig another one."

Mercy
01-21-2009, 15:47
Its interesting to read people supporting each decision.

I think whatever you decide, you need to do it whole-heartedly, and without regretting it. Don't decide to do one, and then wonder for the rest of your life how it would have been if you had made the other decision.

pahiker013
01-21-2009, 16:04
i think you are already ahead of the game, you have a degree, it might not be the one you think you need, but you have one, when will you ever get the opportunity to do the hike again? I am 38 and think about how i can do it everyday! I will find a way, soon i hope! But, you need to follow your gut, you have a education, and you will find a job when you get back! Who knows, you might change your mind over the course of the hike of which type of job you want when you are ready!! Hike!

weary
01-21-2009, 22:16
There is always a reason, and I do mean always a reason, to put something off. The easiest thing to do in this world is to "not do something"......
Well, I absolutely agree with that. But occasionally, just occasionally, there are also reasons for "putting things off."

Weary

warren doyle
01-21-2009, 23:22
"One most know the end, to be convinced that one must reach the end."

If you are not sure, I'd advise that you neither take the first step northward from Springer nor the first step southward from Katahdin.

stranger
01-22-2009, 00:31
Fair enough, there are reasons to put things off, but only if they are "put off" and not something that's simply never done.

prain4u
01-22-2009, 00:59
As you consider putting off your thru hike until next year, please consider these quotations:

“Procrastination is, hands down, our favorite form of self-sabotage.”-- Alyce P. Cornyn-Selby

The best way to get something done is to begin. ~Author Unknown

“Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.” --Lord Chesterfield

To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing. ~Eva Young

Don't fool yourself that important things can be put off till tomorrow; they can be put off forever, or not at all. ~Mignon McLaughlin

"You don't have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step" Martin Luther King Jr.

Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week. ~Spanish Proverb

One of these days is none of these days. ~Attributed to both Henri Tubach and H.G. Bohn

A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~Karen Lamb

Gaiter
01-22-2009, 08:40
do your pros and cons list

also, i know u mentioned not liking your job to much, but have you had asked about a potential leave of absence, sometimes you will be surprised if you just ask (show that you are a very hard worker for a couple weeks before asking)

if the answer is yes then can you afford to do the hike this year if you ahve the job to come back to before starting school again

if the answer is no, then i'd say wait, get the grad school thing out of the way, but don't worry the trail is still going to be there

superman
01-22-2009, 08:47
Hiking the AT is just an addition to your life. It's not the meat of your life...it's the dessert. Take care of your responsibilities first. If your parents are offering to pay for your education, you should not disappoint them. The doors of opportunities open and close. As you move through life, you should watch for those doors to open and take advantage of them. They don't stay open. The trail will still be there when or if the time gets right for you. You've put this out on a hiking site so the answers are fairly predictable. In the words of a man who knows “it’s just walking.”

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 08:48
Hiking the AT is just an addition to your life. It's not the meat of your life...it's the desert.

the AT ain't hot and dry

superman
01-22-2009, 08:54
the AT ain't hot and dry

LOL, not only is it not hot and dry but I mixed up this young fella with another one. They all look alike to me.:)

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2009, 09:57
...If I wait one more year, I will have the money to achieve all of my goals: thru-hiking, changing careers, continuing education and staying debt-free while supporting myself...

You are asking whether or not you should be patient and responsible versus sacrificing achieving all of your life's other (and far more important, IMO) goals to choose to instantly gratify your desire to thru-hike?

You're a bright young lady. I think you know the answer to this question already.