PDA

View Full Version : Mass Trail Conditions, Jan 09

Cosmo
01-09-2009, 16:38
The December ice storm in Mass also affected the AT ('tho the Mid-State and MM Trails probably got it much worse). AT damage is mostly above 1200 feet and is concentrated in areas with eastern upslope exposures for the most part. Trails in State Forests (including the AT) are officially closed (but no one will arrest you for hiking there). Trail from Pine Cobble to VT border (LT access) is fine.

Attached are a couple of photos of the AT between Guilder Pond and The Hemlocks Shelter (that's the privy knocked off of its base).

So far no reports of damage to any shelters, 'tho we do not have reports from all overnight sites yet. I'm planning on heading up to Mark Nopel from the south on Sunday, I suspect it will be pretty tangled. Lots of work this coming spring, if you are planning an April/May hike, be prepared for some bushwacking.

Cosmo

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 17:46
at least there'll be plenty of down wood for fires.

and man either that privy got hit by a tree, or someone took a dump in there after AYCE Mexican...

rickb
01-10-2009, 08:30
Thanks. We only hiked a short distance on the AT after Christmas north of Adams on the way home from a family trip, so didn't see all that.

On the other hand we did see your AT Brochure all over Williamstown. I know its been out a while, but I never saw it before. Nice layout and a great message of inviting people to participate.