PDA

View Full Version : Shaws supermarket in Gorham, NH closing

DavidNH
01-09-2009, 18:00
I just heard on NHPR (New Hampshire Public Radio) today that the Shaws Supermarket in Gorham, NH will be closing this coming February (Feb 2009)

This was an outstanding place for food re-supply when I did my trip in 06. A thru hiker does need to resupply in Gorham because you have the Carter Range just before and the Mahossic range just after. I guess future thrus will have to do a mail drop in Gorham. Or do folks no of other options?

DavidNH

Johnny Swank
01-09-2009, 18:01
Isn't there a Walmart down the road from there? Not especially convenient, but neither are maildrops.

KG4FAM
01-09-2009, 18:03
There is a Walmart just north of town. If you get a group together the White Birches can take you if you are staying with them.

Roland
01-09-2009, 18:04
~ I guess future thrus will have to do a mail drop in Gorham. Or do folks no of other options?

There's a Super WalMart about 3/4 mile beyond Shaw's Supermarket.

There's lots of speculation flying around town that another grocer will move into the vacant Shaw's store. I certainly hope that happens.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 18:13
Thanks for posting this.

But as Roland says, this is a busy area, and I'm pretty confident another market will open before hiker season. Price Chopper is expanding throughout central New Hampshire; hopefuly they'll look into Gorham.

Roland
01-09-2009, 18:38
Because I never shop there, it did not come to mind when I posted earlier, but there is another option.

There is a Save-A-Lot store located midway between Shaw's and Walmart. I've only been there once. My impression was that it sold mostly off-brand stuff and near-expiration products. I have no idea if they sell Lipton's etc, but I can check it out.

Again, we are cautiously optimistic that another major grocer will fill the void. I recognize, however, the economic climate is not conducive to business expansion. But everyone has to eat. I certainly do my part.

weary
01-09-2009, 18:54
I just heard on NHPR (New Hampshire Public Radio) today that the Shaws Supermarket in Gorham, NH will be closing this coming February (Feb 2009)

This was an outstanding place for food re-supply when I did my trip in 06. A thru hiker does need to resupply in Gorham because you have the Carter Range just before and the Mahossic range just after. I guess future thrus will have to do a mail drop in Gorham. Or do folks no of other options?

DavidNH
That's one of the problems with "big box" stores. They come in, put local stores out of business, and if their new store doesn't meet perfornance goals, leave.

In our area a Borders came in, and put a wonderful local book store out of business. I now read that Borders no longer has the cash to stock its stores with new books and is heading toward almost certain bankruptcy, if it can not find a cash rich buyer.

The rumors say that even if that happens, our Borders will close if it can find someone to take over its lease. If so that will leave the nearest broad-based book store a 100-mile round trip away.

Shaws is a good supermarket, in my experience, though after having run through a variety of new owners, is increasingly less competitive. Quite often I now can find better buys at a local independent.

Do you suppose supermarkets are going to follow in the footsteps of financial institutions?

Weary

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 19:04
EVERYTHING is going to follow in the footsteps of the financial institutions. Man, there's some serious turbulence coming, if you ask me. The easy credit of the past is gonna screw everyone.

Hopefully, though, the smaller business will come out of this (you know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall). Maybe after the Second Great Depression, we'll get back to local economies.

KG4FAM
01-09-2009, 19:09
EVERYTHING is going to follow in the footsteps of the financial institutions. Man, there's some serious turbulence coming, if you ask me. The easy credit of the past is gonna screw everyone.My credit card company just upped my credit limit 20% and I am unemployed. I still don't get what everybody is talking about.

TrippinBTM
01-09-2009, 19:12
They don't know you're unemployed. They just want you in debt. "Here," they say, "keep spending money you don't have!"

KG4FAM
01-09-2009, 19:17
They don't know you're unemployed. They just want you in debt. "Here," they say, "keep spending money you don't have!"Yep, they just know that I am able to pay my bills on time. Actually I just stopped using that card and started using one that had a better rewards program so it was just an attempt to regain my business. I don't keep a balance so it does not make a difference to me.

Ok time to slap myself for going off topic, back to supermarkets on Gorham

weary
01-09-2009, 19:50
My credit card company just upped my credit limit 20% and I am unemployed. I still don't get what everybody is talking about.
They are talking about people as smart as you being unemployed, while taxpayers are contributing to multi-million dollar bonuses for the folks whose greed drove their businesses into failure.

Weary

A-Train
01-09-2009, 20:00
Sorry to hear this. When living in Vermont I much prefered Shaws to Price Chopper, though I suspect a supermarket is a supermarket to a hikah.

nufsaid
01-09-2009, 20:19
That's one of the problems with "big box" stores. They come in, put local stores out of business, and if their new store doesn't meet perfornance goals, leave.

In our area a Borders came in, and put a wonderful local book store out of business. I now read that Borders no longer has the cash to stock its stores with new books and is heading toward almost certain bankruptcy, if it can not find a cash rich buyer.

The rumors say that even if that happens, our Borders will close if it can find someone to take over its lease. If so that will leave the nearest broad-based book store a 100-mile round trip away.

Shaws is a good supermarket, in my experience, though after having run through a variety of new owners, is increasingly less competitive. Quite often I now can find better buys at a local independent.

Do you suppose supermarkets are going to follow in the footsteps of financial institutions?

Weary

So, are we making this a political thread?

rlharris
01-09-2009, 20:19

Weary

Shaws is hardly a "local store". The chain is owned by a conglomerate. Back when Shaws was owned by a British corporation, they bought out a local chain (Butsons, about six stores), closed some of them, and rebranded the rest. I believe they kept the Gorham store to try to stall WalMart from purchasing the property.

Shaws also sets prices based on the competition or lack thereof. Until the Super WalMart opened near here a year ago, we could save 20% or more on our grocery bills by driving over to Plymouth, NH, or Barre, VT and shop at Hannafords and/or PriceChopper.

DavidNH
01-09-2009, 20:36
Shaws is a fine store. And for the Gorham area which did not have much else, I am sorry to see them go. But down here in Concord where you have all variety of stores, Shaws is on the upper price end, and more expensive than Market Basket for example.

David

Slo-go'en
01-09-2009, 20:59
I hardly ever shop at Shaws - too expensive. Maybe thats why thier closing :-? Lot of poor people up here now, including me. Save-a-lot and Wal-Mart gets all my buisness. Hopefully someone else will move in.

Sly
01-09-2009, 21:05

Ebay, you can find almost anything. Delivered to your door.

weary
01-09-2009, 22:09
So, are we making this a political thread?
Not me. I'm just reporting my experiences. You can do whatever you want -- or at least what the moderators mat allow.

weary
01-09-2009, 22:11
Ebay, you can find almost anything. Delivered to your door.
I like bookstores. I like to see a book and thumb through its pages before committing my bucks.

Sly
01-09-2009, 22:13
I like bookstores. I like to see a book and thumb through its pages before committing my bucks.

Open one. ;)

nufsaid
01-09-2009, 22:18
Not me. I'm just reporting my experiences. You can do whatever you want -- or at least what the moderators mat allow.

If they are 2 speed and/or Farr Away then you can spew all the political stuff you want.

weary
01-09-2009, 22:19
Shaws is hardly a "local store". The chain is owned by a conglomerate. Back when Shaws was owned by a British corporation, they bought out a local chain (Butsons, about six stores), closed some of them, and rebranded the rest. I believe they kept the Gorham store to try to stall WalMart from purchasing the property.

Shaws also sets prices based on the competition or lack thereof. Until the Super WalMart opened near here a year ago, we could save 20% or more on our grocery bills by driving over to Plymouth, NH, or Barre, VT and shop at Hannafords and/or PriceChopper.
No one shops more carefully than I do. I check the ads carefully before deciding what i'll eat every week, and double check with store visits.

Shaw's in my area beats Hannafords 85% of the time. And if you watch the ads Walmarrt comes in most expensive, day after day, week after week.

Don't argue with me. Just check the stores -- and most importantly the ads -- near you.

Weary

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2009, 23:25
The Shaw's here in Littleton and Woodsville, NH, the ones rlharris is likely talking about are big ripoffs. Before there was competition from Wal-Mart their prices were extrememly high--more than just higher due to transport to the north country--they jacked up prices as much as 50% over what they sold the same items for in Concord. Shaw's produce, butcher shop, and fish quality is poor. Price Chopper in St Johnsbury, VT has much better quality in our area. I usually shop between the two stores and Wal-Mart, but Shaw's is definitely the most expensive, poorest quality, and my least favorite.

weary
01-09-2009, 23:30
Open one. ;)

I'm too broke, too old, and have too many other interests.

Weary

Serial 07
01-09-2009, 23:32
That's one of the problems with "big box" stores. They come in, put local stores out of business...

If so that will leave the nearest broad-based book store a 100-mile round trip away.

isn't that what is best anyway...more power to a local book stores...boxes are killing america...:rolleyes:

Yahtzee
01-09-2009, 23:38
isn't that what is best anyway...more power to a local book stores...boxes are killing america...:rolleyes:

Correction. Consumers who shop at box stores are killing small businesses.

Skyline
01-09-2009, 23:46

I also bemoan the loss of great independent bookstores. But even amazon.com lets you peruse parts of an electronic sample of a book much of the time. I know, not the same but maybe the next best thing. Prices are fair, and if you aren't in a hurry and meet a minimum dollar amount shipping is free.

Sly
01-09-2009, 23:50

Yeah, I'm not fond of big boxes either but if you happen to be 100 mile round trip away from a book store, the internet is awesome.

mudcap
01-09-2009, 23:58
Plus 1 on that! Its a simple case of survival. Sucks I have to shop from home,but it is the only way I can do it.I live in the middle of the boonies.

Yeah, I'm not fond of big boxes either but if you happen to be 100 mile round trip away from a book store, the internet is awesome.

peakbagger
01-11-2009, 10:44
Shaws downsized the store last year as a result of super walmart moving into the area. They tried to move it upscale with expanded fruits and vegetables and an organic food area. They also cut way back on their baked goods.

A lot of folks refused to shop there due to the "shaws card" which you needed to possess in order to take advantage of anything on sale (unless the folks at the register helped out with their own), I expect a lot of thruhikers paid full price for items that were on sale with a Shaws card. If you didnt shop the sales at Shaws, they were quite pricey and frequently their sale price was above Walmarts. Shaws sold the data from the cards to marketers who would then target customers on their next visit with coupons tailored to past purchases.

A regional news paper did a study a few years ago and proved that Shaws was putting higher markup in rural area of northern NH and VT. It is quite noticable when I drive south from Gorham to North Conway (35 miles) that the pricing and selection is much more competitive.

In the meantime, there is a local shuttle bus that runs from Gorham to Berlin for those who arent willing to walk the extra mile to super walmart and if folks are philosophically opposed to Walmart, they can take the shuttle to the locally owned IGA in Berlin. There is also a Save a Lot store just up the road from Shaws, although its limited selection is not set up well for typical thruhikers.

A-Train
01-11-2009, 12:55
Shaws downsized the store last year as a result of super walmart moving into the area. They tried to move it upscale with expanded fruits and vegetables and an organic food area. They also cut way back on their baked goods.

A lot of folks refused to shop there due to the "shaws card" which you needed to possess in order to take advantage of anything on sale (unless the folks at the register helped out with their own), I expect a lot of thruhikers paid full price for items that were on sale with a Shaws card. If you didnt shop the sales at Shaws, they were quite pricey and frequently their sale price was above Walmarts. Shaws sold the data from the cards to marketers who would then target customers on their next visit with coupons tailored to past purchases.

A regional news paper did a study a few years ago and proved that Shaws was putting higher markup in rural area of northern NH and VT. It is quite noticable when I drive south from Gorham to North Conway (35 miles) that the pricing and selection is much more competitive.

In the meantime, there is a local shuttle bus that runs from Gorham to Berlin for those who arent willing to walk the extra mile to super walmart and if folks are philosophically opposed to Walmart, they can take the shuttle to the locally owned IGA in Berlin. There is also a Save a Lot store just up the road from Shaws, although its limited selection is not set up well for typical thruhikers.

The whole supermarker card thing is such a pain in the butt. Just build the discounts into the prices so everyone can take advantage of them! Guess they really want your information.

It is kinda a pain but worth it for thru-hikers to take the extra minute to sign up for cards which will help them save lots in some cases. The nice cashiers just swipe for you if you tell them you're from out of town or out of region

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2009, 13:40
A-Train is right. It takes all of 2 minutes to sign up for one of these things, and it'll save you tons of money. I think right now I have cards for Ingles, Whites, Food Lion, Krogers, Martins, Stop and Shop, Shaw's, and Price
Shopper, i.e. just about every major supermarket on the Trail. Having these things has saved me hundreds of dollars. Plus, when one considers the meals cooked at places like Kincora, Miss Janet's, etc., or at cooking for hiker feeds, it really adds up to a good bit of money saved. Anyone who doesn't shop at a supermarket because they think they "have to have a card" is an idiot, and a lazy one at that. It takes about 2 minutes to get a card, and it'll save you a ton of money. This is a non-issue.

That being said, the big markets where I live are Shaw's and Price Chopper. Price Chopper is the better of the two, and I hope they go into Gorham.

While we're on the subject, I think the 2 best supermarkets on the Trail are the Kroger's in Daleville and the Stop 'N Shop near North Adams. Any other favorites?

Sly
01-11-2009, 13:45
I have shopper cards from across the country. You'd have to be thick not to get one. Virtually all of them have the key chain size too.

rickb
01-11-2009, 13:50
You can also ask the cashier to enter their number. Many will have their own card, but sometimes they will need to call over a supervisor.

I have done this many times, and not once was there ever an objection.

whitelightning
01-11-2009, 14:05
I was able to resupply from the pharmacy near the post office in Gorham. While not as good as a supermarket, it did save me the trouble of hitching or walking to shaws or walmart. I think it was a Rite Aid pharmacy. It had liptons, mac & cheese and plenty of snack food stuff. So it's a possibility for resupply if another market doesn't open in Gorham soon.

As for the cards, I found one for Shaw's in a hiker box in Hanover. Usually when you fill out the form for one they give you a wallet size and a few keychain size cards. I found that carrying them was well worth while. You can give the extra cards to hiking buddies or leave them in hiker boxes if need be.

George
01-11-2009, 14:13
Went to the Kroger in daleville late evening came out with almost everything half price for end of code [ another advantage to winter hiking eating fresh food] didn't walk far the next day trying to eat down my pack weight also liked the state liquer store next door they were very helpful to find a booze I liked that was stocked in a half pint

Sly
01-11-2009, 14:16
You can give the extra cards to hiking buddies or leave them in hiker boxes if need be.

Yeah, I pulled one out a hiker box and after my shopping was done, got a discount for Trojans! ;)

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2009, 14:22
I also forgot to mention that you can be fun and imaginative when signing up for these things, especially when it comes to giving out your address and E-Mail, which is really nobody's business. I think the last few times I got a supermarket card on the Trail I signed up for them as Fabyan J. Hensley, which resulted in Miss Janet's old gay dog getting all manner of really interesting mail.

Last time I was there, someone wanted to sell Fabyan a time-share condo.

Interesting world we live in.

weary
01-11-2009, 17:27
..... A lot of folks refused to shop there due to the "shaws card" which you needed to possess in order to take advantage of anything on sale (unless the folks at the register helped out with their own), I expect a lot of thruhikers paid full price for items that were on sale with a Shaws card. If you didnt shop the sales at Shaws, they were quite pricey and frequently their sale price was above Walmarts. Shaws sold the data from the cards to marketers who would then target customers on their next visit with coupons tailored to past purchases.
....In the meantime, there is a local shuttle bus that runs from Gorham to Berlin for those who arent willing to walk the extra mile to super walmart and if folks are philosophically opposed to Walmart, they can take the shuttle to the locally owned IGA in Berlin. There is also a Save a Lot store just up the road from Shaws, although its limited selection is not set up well for typical thruhikers.
I have yet to see any harm stemming from my use of a Shaw's Card -- or a card from any other supermarket. The fact that they use the record of my purchases to give me a discount coupon for things I regularly buy strikes me as a plus. For instance, I always buy 8 O'clock, whole bean coffee, which I stock up during sales. Periodically, when I'm at the cash register, out pops a coupon for a further discount from the 8 O'clock price -- which I save to use the next time the coffee is on sale.

I'm not philosophically opposed to Walmart. I go there regularly for some items -- like Purina cat food for my flock of feral cats. But I find their food prices outrageous, compared with Shaw's sale prices.

Our Walmart has a few loss leaders. Bananas -- for instance -- to attract the gullible. But I don't find it wise to drive an extra 15 miles to save a half penny on the half a banana I eat on my raisin bran most mornings.

I know Shaw's prices vary according to the competition. Something like rural gas prices vary. Drive ten blocks from a major intersection, and check gas prices. Nine out of 10 times they will be higher. The reason for business is profit. Every store maximizes profits. Some are just wiser than most.

Walmart maximizes profits by sticking a few loss leaders, and junk from China about their stores -- and of course by planting stories in the local press when they move to town about how local businesses are going to be hurt.

They know it is a self-fulfilling prophesy. Americans are not terribly wise shoppers. We like gimmicks.

Weary

Blissful
01-11-2009, 20:49
As for resupply at the Wal mart, a shutle bus runs there and back from town. The drivers are great.