PDA

View Full Version : Hiking poles

Gentle Ben
01-09-2009, 20:54
Do most people feel that it is better to hike with two poles rather than just one?

Phreak
01-09-2009, 21:13
Do most people feel that it is better to hike with two poles rather than just one?
Oh lord, you're going to get every answer under the sun.

Personally, I use two poles or none. I find it hard to get into a rhythm with one pole.

I use poles when speed hiking and/or high mileage days, but I don't use them if hiking at a slower pace and/or lower mileage days.

Arizona
01-09-2009, 21:21
2 poles in steep or rough terrain, no poles in flat terrain. One pole does nothing for me.

Tuna
01-09-2009, 21:40
Agree with the above posters. Two or none, but two more often than not.

Mags
01-09-2009, 21:45
One if by land..two if by sea...

Deadeye
01-09-2009, 22:19
one, or none, occassionally 2, but what's it matter - pole your own hike

Just Plain Jim
01-09-2009, 22:25
Most people my age [69] needs 2 poles to hike.

KG4FAM
01-09-2009, 22:25
one

Screech
01-09-2009, 22:29
I went Me-Va no poles and seriously regret it. My knees felt terrible by the end. I will be using 2 for every hike from now on.

Serial 07
01-09-2009, 22:31
there's some real creativity amongst white blazers... :)

Tin Man
01-09-2009, 22:34
One if by land..two if by sea...

whatsamattau no like kayaking?

garlic08
01-09-2009, 22:39
I used one pole for my first two long hikes (PCT and CDT), then switched to two for the AT and I'm glad I did. Two were good for the steeper grade and poorer tread. Now I'm back out West and I'm back to one pole again. I like having a hand free for map and compass work, which wasn't needed on the AT.

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2009, 22:51
Oh lord, you're going to get every answer under the sun.

there's some real creativity amongst white blazers... :)

I named my hiking poles Stashu and Krzysztof.

Richard Snider
01-09-2009, 23:00
I use one only for steep climbs and decents.

Blissful
01-09-2009, 23:09
I like two poles myself. But my son used his big stick the whole way and I saw another guy using one staff. So it's up to you.

sheepdog
01-09-2009, 23:45
Let me sum up from previous threads;
poles suck....poles are great
Poles are for sheeple.....Only real hikers use poles
poles hurt your knees....poles save your knees
poles poke little holes in the trail and speed erosion....nuh uhhhh
I like poles....I hate poles
Well you suck.....you suck worser dummy
Ok lets stop all the name calling and stay on topic.
Be sure to buy good poles....Walmart poles are great
Since you can't get along this thread is closed.
Hope I didn't miss anything ;)

Tin Man
01-10-2009, 01:12
sd, you forgot... don't put down poles, it's discrimination

Lellers
01-10-2009, 01:27
Here's an little story about my poles. It's probably not very interesting, but it's true. On a hike last year coming down a steep bit, I stumbled. Poles kept me from falling, but it was still a jarring stumble. My head kind of yanked to the left at an odd angle, and I felt a very definite click in my jaw. Continued on my hike and noticed increasing pain in my left ear, jaw and face. By the end of the day it was horrible. Over the next couple of days, it got worse, couldn't open my mouth all the way, hurt to chew even oatmeal.

As it happened, when I got home I had a dentist appointment. He says TMJ. I said, well, ok, but I sorta fell. He says TMJ. Dental insurance says: we won't pay, it's medical. Medical insurance says, we won't pay for anything related to chewing or clenching unless it's an accident. Yes. Well, I fell. It says so in my record. Insurance company says, "But you didn't hit the ground, so you didn't fall." I didn't hit the ground because I had the poles. Had I not had the poles and hit the ground, I could have broken some bones, needed stitches, crushed my skull, who knows. It would have cost more, but they'd have paid for that, apparently. But, since I didn't hit the ground, they say I didn't fall, hence no "accident". The fight goes on.

I sure am glad I pay those insurance fees.

Darn! There I go off-topic again!

RITBlake
01-10-2009, 01:31
One pole does nothing for me.

That's what she said.

drastic_quench
01-10-2009, 02:08
Let me sum up from previous threads;
poles suck....poles are great
Poles are for sheeple.....Only real hikers use poles
poles hurt your knees....poles save your knees
poles poke little holes in the trail and speed erosion....nuh uhhhh
I like poles....I hate poles
Well you suck.....you suck worser dummy
Ok lets stop all the name calling and stay on topic.
Be sure to buy good poles....Walmart poles are great
Since you can't get along this thread is closed.
Hope I didn't miss anything ;)
You forgot "shelters suck" thrown in there for good measure.

KG4FAM
01-10-2009, 02:24
You forgot "shelters suck" thrown in there for good measure.And don't forget about those stupid boy scout/church/college groups always messing everything up and disrespecting us real hikers.

Nearly Normal
01-10-2009, 11:32
One lesson I learned the hard way was stopping to take a photo.
Leaned the poles against a tree at an overlook and one toppled down the slope. It was a tough climb down and back up to retrieve it. :o

JAK
01-10-2009, 11:47
I like a single long wooden hiking staff when hiking with my daughter. Feels good, you can sort of set a pace with it, and it gives me something to lean on when she decides to doddle. I sort of have it in mind for bears and dogs also. In winter and at night I think two cross country poles would be handy even when not on skis, but usually when I hike alone its without any poles, unless I bring my skis along.

daylaandjasper
01-13-2009, 23:32
I used one pole springer to harper's ferry-which was fine and then I have used two ever since and I wouldn't go back to one. it becomes part of your natural movement where it feels weird to hike without them.

Lellers- have you ever gone to a chiropractor? they might be able to put your jaw back in alignment. I have TMJ (without having a fall) and it helps sometimes. exercises help too.

gonewalkabout
02-01-2009, 20:50
I use two poles all the time since 1996. Never done a thru hike but have done the LT and sixs weeks of hiking and backpacking out west two seprate summers. As Leki says there are no three leged animals. I know that besides from keeping me from falling they have protected my knees and shins under very heavy packs and light ones. I also used them for speed hiking like Hike across Maryland (HAM). They allow you to popel yourself faster and to desend faster IMHO. Make river crossing easier too.

Kanati
02-01-2009, 23:04
Here's an little story about my poles. It's probably not very interesting, but it's true. On a hike last year coming down a steep bit, I stumbled. Poles kept me from falling, but it was still a jarring stumble. My head kind of yanked to the left at an odd angle, and I felt a very definite click in my jaw. Continued on my hike and noticed increasing pain in my left ear, jaw and face. By the end of the day it was horrible. Over the next couple of days, it got worse, couldn't open my mouth all the way, hurt to chew even oatmeal.

As it happened, when I got home I had a dentist appointment. He says TMJ. I said, well, ok, but I sorta fell. He says TMJ. Dental insurance says: we won't pay, it's medical. Medical insurance says, we won't pay for anything related to chewing or clenching unless it's an accident. Yes. Well, I fell. It says so in my record. Insurance company says, "But you didn't hit the ground, so you didn't fall." I didn't hit the ground because I had the poles. Had I not had the poles and hit the ground, I could have broken some bones, needed stitches, crushed my skull, who knows. It would have cost more, but they'd have paid for that, apparently. But, since I didn't hit the ground, they say I didn't fall, hence no "accident". The fight goes on.

I sure am glad I pay those insurance fees.

Darn! There I go off-topic again!

Because of your poles you are between a rock and a hard place. Pun intended.

:sun

Frick Frack
02-02-2009, 00:04
I used 2 & then my wife broke one of hers so I let her use my other. I got used to hiking with one for a long while but when I finally got mine back, giving me 2 again, the difference was HUGE. Two are much better for ascents and descents.

mnof1000v
02-02-2009, 14:10
Try it yourself. Go out with two poles, and hike for a bit. Pack up one pole and continue. Then pack up both poles and lumber on. Try various slopes, and you'll soon have your answer.

Ender
02-02-2009, 14:32
2 poles in steep or rough terrain, no poles in flat terrain. One pole does nothing for me.

Ditto to this... expecially going downhill, I use poles. Uphills if it's really steep, but on flat ground I just collapse and carry.

ofthearth
02-02-2009, 14:34
Interesting to compare the age/distance hiked of those that use/ do not use poles.