PDA

View Full Version : Willing Seller Legislation needs your help NOW!

Lyle
01-10-2009, 01:10
The following is an Urgent plea from the North Country Trail Association. When the NCT was authorized by Congress, they did not make any provision for purchasing any land to protect the trail corridor. We have been working for the entire history of the trail on getting this situation corrected. The AT would not be what it is today, if no land could be purchased. The NCT will have a very difficult time if it is not allowed the same ability.

This will not give the NPS the authority to condemn property as the AT has, it will only allow the NPS to purchase land from willing sellers.

This bill also contains many other pieces of important legislation for our hiking trails across the country.

PLEASE contact your US Senators NOW. This legislation may be voted on this weekend. Action is needed NOW.

According the The American Hiking Society, "This bill will have greater positive effects on the hiking experience than any other legislation considered this year."

Here is a link to the legislation - take a look at all that is at stake. Scroll down for the Rivers and Trails section.

http://dpc.senate.gov/dpc-new.cfm?doc_name=lb-111-1-1

Ask your Senators to support S-22 The Omnibus Trails Bill.

Chenango
01-10-2009, 08:12
I just wrote Schumer and Clinton. The Finger Lakes Trail is part of the NCT. I really enjoy that trail. It is very close to my home and is great for frequent day hikes and snow-shoeing.

ki0eh
01-10-2009, 15:32
I went thru the AHS link also e-mailed to me - but specifically mentioned the NCT and willing seller.

Lyle
01-10-2009, 20:02
Just bumping this,

PLEASE email your Senators. This bill affects most every state, and all of us hikers, skiers, canoeists, birders, photographers, etc. in many ways.

Do mention the willing seller legislation specifically (thanks for the reminder kiOeh) as it is running into opposition from property rights folks, even tho there is nothing in the bill that would limit an owner's rights. They are using scare tactics, and, I'm sorry to say, sometimes site the condemnations that the AT has done as a reason to oppose this legislation. These tactics have been successful for them in the past.

I repeat, this legislation only allows the Park Service to buy from "willing sellers" - no condemnation, hence the name.

Thanks.

Lyle
01-11-2009, 18:13
Bumping again.

Mr HaHa
01-12-2009, 17:54
Lots and lots of important things in this bill. It needs supported. Thanks for the link Lyle

puddingboy
01-12-2009, 20:54
your right this would be a big step towards the completion of the trail

IceAge
01-16-2009, 13:33
I called my senator yesterday, and just in time!

S. 22 passed yesterday and both of my senators voted for it.

They believe the House will not take it up until after the inauguration, but it is not to early to pester your reps.

puddingboy
01-28-2009, 20:13
Does anyone know if this bill passed through the house

IceAge
01-30-2009, 14:06
Heheheh, I googled it up and found this statement on a forum for ATV folks:

" Unless we can influence the House to do something unusual, say goodbye to $10 billion dollars of your tax money and hello to 2.2 million new acres of YOUR Public Land designated as "Wilderness" that you’ll now have to hike into to enjoy."

I know I'm doing the right thing when I'm on the opposite side of ATV'ers.

IceAge
01-30-2009, 14:12
As far as I can tell, it is still under House review

puddingboy
02-09-2009, 23:07
Any updates on it in the house?

IceAge
03-23-2009, 16:22
Ok, the OPLA apparently did not get enough traction in the House, but the Senate is looking at getting on it early this week.

Now (today!) is the time to get everyone you know to contact your Senator's Office and tell them to get the Omnibus Public Lands Act on the floor, with the 'Willing Seller' legislation included.

NashvilleBiscuit
03-23-2009, 16:38
I cant get the link to work. Says it doesnt exist.

NashvilleBiscuit
03-23-2009, 16:43
Found it. The Senators and Congressmen of Tennessee will all get emails from me today.