PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hiking plans.

HumblePuff
04-21-2004, 16:25
I am trying to plan a week or10 day hike sometime during this summer. I am considering if I will need to stay at a shelter or just set up my tent somewhere. Hopefully if I can i am going to start at baxter state park in Maine. I'd like to see MT Katahdin. I looked up some info about the park and you need to make advance reservations to stay at the campsites and the messege I got was they were usually filled up . If that is the case. Do I have to pay to stay at another shelter along the appalacian trail. How much do shelters cost?If so how much do they cost and do I need to make reservations for another shelter. I sent for a trail guidebook from the appalacian trail headquaters and have read alot of books about the trail. But they dont mention things like this in them.

thanks

Lone Wolf
04-21-2004, 16:28
You only have to pay at Baxter. The rest of the shelters and campsites in Maine on the AT are free except Speck Pond which is way south of Baxter.

TJ aka Teej
04-21-2004, 21:23
Hopefully if I can i am going to start at baxter state park in Maine. I'd like to see MT Katahdin. I looked up some info about the park and you need to make advance reservations to stay at the campsites and the messege I got was they were usually filled up

You can see and hike Katahdin as a day visitor to Baxter Park. If you'd like to camp and know the date/s, give them a call and ask about availability. The staff is great and very willing to help first time visitors. You might find that it's worth a shot at mailordering for a date and campsite location they tip you on. If you're not yet sure of the date you'll be up there, you can call the Park when you decide. A new policy allows visitors to call within 10 days of the date they want to camp and make reservations with a credit card over the phone.
They a great website at www.BaxterStateParkAuthority.com
hope this helps,