PDA

View Full Version : Are you hiking with your dog this year?

Rockhound
01-10-2009, 12:20
As dog owners/hikers I'm sure you know dogs are not allowed in GSMNP. Curtis at the Standing Bear hostel is considering housing dogs this year. Nothing concrete as yet. First he needs some more info. Does anybody know the number of dogs that can be legally housed without a kennel license? Also what, as dog owners, do you think a fair price for this service? Curtis would be willing to shuttle your pooch from the Fontana Hilton to Standing Bear, and house him/her for up to a week. You would provide enough dog food and medicine for that time.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2009, 12:39
alot more work than you think! what does he mean by housing dogs,will each dog have its own personal kennel. i'd hate to show up and someones dog tore into mine or someone else's.(IMO dogs are under alot of stress on a long hike,and don't want people or other dogs messing with them) in 99' i was quoted 300.00 bucks for a kennel,shuttle and a haircut. they messed up the haircut slightly and said she was very behaved.(i was told she only had to go in the kennel at night,during the day she sat out front in the office) they dropped 100.00 off the total. shuttle times,gas prices,insurance,waste removal. 200.00 minimum, would be a bargin for hikers. how many miles round trip for him? to make this trip. IT IS A MUST FOR DOGS TO HAVE PAPERWORK UP TO DATE(SHOTS)to be boarded legally.

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2009, 12:40
Kennels round here in PA get $35-40 a day. Paper proof of parvo & kennel cough & Rabis is required everywhere. Most cram in services to make up for it such as excercise & a bath over a weekend. If you are dropping off at a freinds house, thats negotiated as to what it fair. I would not drop off at house that has a lot of family members or inexperience.

I hope someone weighs in that lives near the park that can help you better.

Rockhound
01-10-2009, 13:33
were only talking 2 or 3 dogs at a time and they would be separated of course

superman
01-10-2009, 13:38
In 2000 I was not satisfied with the kennel Winter stayed in. I had considered walking around the smokies and if I were to do it again I would NOT use a kennel.

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2009, 14:47
In 2000 I was not satisfied with the kennel Winter stayed in. I had considered walking around the smokies and if I were to do it again I would NOT use a kennel.
i think it was 03' but i remember someone making it to gatlinburg and made a call to check on the dog to find out it escaped and they had to go help find the dog.:eek: i did the kennel thing once and now have friends nearby that would watch my hiking partner. once, i hiked the park first then my friend picked me up at fontana and drove us to davenport gap-saved me some cash,and gave me peace of mind.

Miss Janet
01-12-2009, 22:49
LOL Ask "Dogbait" teeheehee ... if he remembers one of the first dogs he ever took care of for a hiker??

But seriously... a set of nice easy to clean kennels with good protection, proof of vaccinations, someone to call in case of any emergency, regular individually supervised exercise... Curtis has enough room and he could do it well.

superman
01-12-2009, 23:57
i think it was 03' but i remember someone making it to gatlinburg and made a call to check on the dog to find out it escaped and they had to go help find the dog.:eek: i did the kennel thing once and now have friends nearby that would watch my hiking partner. once, i hiked the park first then my friend picked me up at fontana and drove us to davenport gap-saved me some cash,and gave me peace of mind.

It's all about peace of mind.

WritinginCT
01-13-2009, 01:00
just 2 pennies about kennels.

Here in Connecticut there are very strict rules about kennels (ie the physical structure as well as the operating standards and inspections)- I don't know how it is there but Curtis should check not only with his local animal control but the state agency overseeing animal control.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 10:38
He has looked into it and, if I understand correctly, you can house up to 4 dogs on your property without a kennel license. Spit who resides here is 1 and Curtis may be willing to watch a couple more while the owners hike GSMNP. Nothing concrete yet. Just wanted to see if the interest was out there.

Gaiter
01-13-2009, 11:54
having worked at kennels i would say he needs to fully check into it, i'm not sure about the laws where he is, i know in winston-salem nc, the kennel inspections were very tough, and i was at a very nice well run kennel (not a doggie hotel but a kennel)

cowboy nichols
01-13-2009, 11:57
does anyone know the road route numbers to walk around the GSMNP ? I have hiked the park and plan to go around with my dog this time out. Not worried about the miles as I'lll be out to walk and don't count miles .

Kanati
01-13-2009, 20:04
Cowboy-
You're biting off one heck of a chew. I don't think anybody can tell you that. My wife and I live in west TN and are in the Smokies at least 3 times each year. If you can tell me approximately when you will be there we just may be able to help by giving you a lift, that is unless you just want to walk.

But if you just want to walk, I suggest you get county maps of the area to help you plan. The TN side would be my choice as it may be shorter and I don't think I would want to be off the beaten path in Appalachia on the east side as this is more remote. A lot of people don't like hikers. I would stick to the main U.S. and state routes by taking NC 28 west from Fontana Dam to U.S. 129 north to the Foothills Parkway, to U.S. 321 north. This will take you to Cosby, TN. At Cosby, pick up TN county road 32 for the last 5 miles or so to the A.T.. Road 32 may touch the park for a short distance, but I would worry about that. I've driven thru this area before and it's lightly traveled. If you hear a car coming, just jump in the bushes until it passes. I'm serious. This may sound like bad advice but hiking is taking chances anyway.

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

sticks&stones
01-13-2009, 20:20
does anyone know the road route numbers to walk around the GSMNP ? I have hiked the park and plan to go around with my dog this time out. Not worried about the miles as I'lll be out to walk and don't count miles .

Wow, I did that once with my dog, and wished I never did. I don't recall the road numbers, but there pretty obvious from looking on a map. I just headed towards Bryson City, and winged it from there. I slept one night at a road crossing of the blue ridge parkway if that helps. Took me 3 days. There's some stores along the way, guy forced 20 bucks on me at one haha. Watch the traffic in the reservation, and your dogs pads on the tar.

cyclefiend2000
01-14-2009, 14:29
besides what legal requirements there are for kennels that have to be considered (not sure what they all are), i wouldnt leave my buddy at a kennel that didnt have some experienced and knowledgeable dog people working there.

the only kennel i have ever left him at is a daycare/boarding facility that my trainer works at.

superman
01-14-2009, 17:56
My attitude was that I was just going for a long walk with my dog. If you're focused on white blazes and big miles don't hike or leave your dog home. Your dog figures you know what to do because you get to hold the leash. You're going to have a lot of situations that require making choices the entire length of the AT. Choose wrong and you and your dog go home. Choosing your path to avoid places you're not welcome like the Smokies is big. It doesn't hurt to carry some luck with you. One day if you use the kennel they may lose your dog or if you road walk stuff can happen. Are you feeling lucky?

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2009, 18:07
Something to think about:

I think offering the kennel service is a nice idea, and may well bring in some extra revenue for SBF, but I have some mis-givings.

I vividly remember one horrible afternoon at Kincora, ordinarily one of the greatest places to visit on the Trail, but not on this occasion.....

A hiker had left on the town shuttle, leaving his dog, who proceeded to screech and howl, without stopping, for two hours, despite every attempt to talk to it, treat it kindly, pay attention to it, etc.

Eventually, it got so bad that someone untied the dog from the porch and took it out to an adjacent field, about thre tenths of a mile to from the house, where at least it's howling wouldn't affect everyone in the building.

The howling from the field, if anything, got louder.

It got so bad that Bob's neighbor, who owned the field and lived next to it, came by the hostel and informed us that the dog needed to be moved or he intended to shoot it.

The dog of course was brought back to Kincora, wwere of course, it proceeded to howl without interruption for another hour until its owner returned.

He kinda got a good talking to. A REALLY good talking to.

Point of story: There will always be some dogs who can't bear to be apart from their owners. This usually involves poor training on the part of their owners, and unfortunately, a great many Trail dogs are poorly trained or poorly prepared before their hikes.

Sooner or later, everyone who kennels or keeps other people's dogs will have to deal with a loud one, and it'd be really unfair if this happens on a day when 10 or 15 other folks want to enjoy the wonderful things that SBF has to offer.

Personally, I think hostels and dog kennels are a bad mix, but that's just me.

Kanati
01-14-2009, 18:30
Dogs do not want to be hikers! Given a choice they would rather take the easy way, but they will go wherever their best friend and master leads them. My dog Max, a 8.5 year old black lab wants to make every step I make and will if I let him. He has hip displacement on the right side and after a few miles he has trouble getting up the steps into the house. We end each walk with me forcing a vitamin I down his throat.

Last year as I descended Fulling Mill mountain into the Mahoosuc notch, I met a young couple and their dog. They had just came thru the notch and was almost to the top of the mountain going south. We stopped to talk for a minute and I noticed that their dog was so foot sore that he could hardly take a step to continue. He would hold his paw up which was trembling, whine and look at them as they encouraged him to get going. And this dog was no wimp. He was ruggedly built. Frankly, I was very angry to think what they were putting their dog through. In terms not so polite, I told them they out to be ashamed of themselves and they should leave the trail and take him home. They looked at me as if I was some kind of a looney. Bare Foot Sage and Bob from Illinois was with me and although they let me do all the talking, they later expressed the same feelings as I.

So, the point is, make sure your dog is in GOOD condition, especially is pads, before striking out on a hike. Remember, they are bare footed.

Happy hiking. :sun

curtisvowen
01-15-2009, 09:23
Thanks for the input.
I look at it as dog sitting the 3-6 dogs per year that I see not a full blown kennel.
It's the type of housing that I've a question about.
Would most hikers go for this.......A 10' X 10' chainlinked pen out in my front yard? with a small houch for shelter.
No chance for exercise unless I put them on a cable run or leash and walk, but then again.......

MISS JANET, I still have the scars from that one! Poor young pup was handed off to various hikers from here to Virginia and didn't want anything to do with hikers really. I didn't kennel him, just got bit trying to pet him.

JACK, you know my layout here. I thought about putting the kennel up by your houch in the back 40, but knowing our luck I'd have a whinner when you're here. The other option would be over by the tipi area, which by the way I'm taking down until I can afford to buy or build another skin, I can watch them from my porch then.

Thanks again for the input.

2011_thruhiker
01-15-2009, 10:41
I will take a dog in for a hiker-as I don't live that far from the trail. I don't ask for payment because it isn't a typical boarding situation. The dog has to get along with mine and they are in the house with me, free roaming inside. But I also live on 21 acres on the side of a mountain in a cabin next to the George Washington National Forest. I only ask that they pay for food. It's a win-win situation for me as my dogs get socialized and the hiker can hike without worrying.
But on the flip side, I won't take in just any dog either. It has to be a well behaved dog and tolerant too. They also have to get along with cats-as I run a rescue group for kitties.

cowboy nichols
01-15-2009, 11:01
Cowboy-
You're biting off one heck of a chew. I don't think anybody can tell you that. My wife and I live in west TN and are in the Smokies at least 3 times each year. If you can tell me approximately when you will be there we just may be able to help by giving you a lift, that is unless you just want to walk.

But if you just want to walk, I suggest you get county maps of the area to help you plan. The TN side would be my choice as it may be shorter and I don't think I would want to be off the beaten path in Appalachia on the east side as this is more remote. A lot of people don't like hikers. I would stick to the main U.S. and state routes by taking NC 28 west from Fontana Dam to U.S. 129 north to the Foothills Parkway, to U.S. 321 north. This will take you to Cosby, TN. At Cosby, pick up TN county road 32 for the last 5 miles or so to the A.T.. Road 32 may touch the park for a short distance, but I would worry about that. I've driven thru this area before and it's lightly traveled. If you hear a car coming, just jump in the bushes until it passes. I'm serious. This may sound like bad advice but hiking is taking chances anyway.

Thank you, this was pretty much how I planned. I've done a lot of bush jumping so much, that one of my shepards would always hear a car before me and lead the way off the roadside . She was always right and I miss her . I have many years hiking and 95% has been with a dog. Don't feel much fear except when I was hiking without my dog. Thank you again for your help.

Rockhound
01-15-2009, 11:13
besides what legal requirements there are for kennels that have to be considered (not sure what they all are), i wouldnt leave my buddy at a kennel that didnt have some experienced and knowledgeable dog people working there.

the only kennel i have ever left him at is a daycare/boarding facility that my trainer works at.
I've owned dogs all my life. Curtis has owned dogs all his life. Curtis would not be exploring this issue if he didn't know how to care for dogs. If anything the dogs will be given more love and attention here than at a kennel.

superman
01-15-2009, 11:31
If I'd had that information in 2000 I would have taken it. Shoot, if I re-hike the AT I may take that route just to avoid that whole nasty shelter thing.

Cowboy-