PDA

View Full Version : AT south of fontana dam

vibedog
01-10-2009, 12:40
can anyone tell me what to expect in Nantahala? what is the mileage thru Nanatahala? Are there shelters or is it tent camping? is the terrain the same as the GSMP part of trail, easier or worse? how are the views? any other info you could pass on would be appreciated. working on our next section hike. thanks

Wonder
01-10-2009, 13:02
DOn't know the info.....but I know that I almost wrecked my achillies going up out of the NOC.....it's very steep.....I still feel it 2 years later! Make sure you stretch first if you are going north!

Pedaling Fool
01-10-2009, 13:06
Yes much tougher than GSMNP, plenty of shelters. Here's some good links:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.774899/k.A8FD/North_Carolina.htm

http://www.maconcommunity.org/nhc/

Bearpaw
01-10-2009, 13:08
There are three shelters, Cable Gap (6 miles from FD), Brown Fork Gap (13 mi from FD) and Sassafrass Gap (22 mi from FD and 7 mi from NOC).

I haven't done it southbound, but northbound the climb out of NOC is long. My feet consistently say this is one of the firmest sections of the AT as my feet are always a bit sore when I finish it.

However, it does NOT strike me as being as packed with little climbs as the Smokies. Doable in a couple of days, but I would take three any way. Hope you can get good weather on Cheoah Bald. It's the only substantial viewpoint I can remember. If you look back over your shoulder often the first day, you'll also get an occasional view of Fontana Dam.

Mrs Baggins
01-10-2009, 13:17
DOn't know the info.....but I know that I almost wrecked my achillies going up out of the NOC.....it's very steep.....I still feel it 2 years later! Make sure you stretch first if you are going north!

Yep. Up up up up up up and more up, from the NOC to the short descent to Sassafras shelter, and then up again to Cheoah Bald. :eek: I remember calling my hubby from somewhere near the "top" and telling him that I was calling to give him the passwords to my computer because I was going to be dead soon.

Blissful
01-10-2009, 13:53
That's the Stecoah range and it's tough stuff. Wonder if it is easier going SOBO than NOBO? I think it's one of the tougher sections of trail in the south. In fact, I don't like it... :)

Hikerhead
01-10-2009, 14:40
can anyone tell me what to expect in Nantahala? what is the mileage thru Nanatahala? Are there shelters or is it tent camping? is the terrain the same as the GSMP part of trail, easier or worse? how are the views? any other info you could pass on would be appreciated. working on our next section hike. thanks

It's tough. Long climb out from Fontana then 3 or 4 up and downs. We couldn't do the mileage that I normally do even hiking 2 hrs in the dark. This was last year doing the Ruck. Got to Stecoah and J5MAN and I either had to continue on and miss seeing everyone at the Ruck or call for a rescue, we made the call. Good views through the trees down on Fontana Lake and a nice little rocky ridge walk south of Brown Fork. I was going to try to arrange a way to finish this section into NOC during the Ruck this year but it doesn't look that will happen. We camped out on a ridge 2 miles before Brown Gap shelter.

Tipi Walter
01-10-2009, 14:53
I did the section not too long ago from the dam up to Walker Gap where I spent my first night and then hoofed it down to Cable Gap shelter for another night and then to Brown Fork Gap for a third night. On the fourth day I pulled down into Stecoah Gap and climbed the long blowout up past Locust Cove Gap to the top of Cheoah where I spent my fourth night.

Fifth day I returned and was back to my car by Day 7. Check out my Trail Journal report:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=162901

Ruggedness southbound
Coming up from Hiway 28 is a long slog to Walker Gap and it's more rough cuz I was carrying 10 days worth of food and all my winter gear.

The next rough section is from Stecoah Gap up to Cheoah Bald, another heartbreaker and name-taker. There's water at Locust Gap so ya don't need to haul too much at the start. Camping is super fine atop the bald.

Ruggedness northbound
Nothing to speak of unless you include the danged perturbing hump up from the NOC to Cheoah.

At Stecoah begins the meandering climb to Sweetwater Gap and THEN COMES THE HELLISH CLIMB TO VISIT SATAN ON HIS THRONE!! We're talking here about the near vertical, no switchback travail up to the ridge near Brown Fork shelter. It is very very steep(but short).

Hikerhead
01-10-2009, 15:00
At Stecoah begins the meandering climb to Sweetwater Gap and THEN COMES THE HELLISH CLIMB TO VISIT SATAN ON HIS THRONE!! We're talking here about the near vertical, no switchback travail up to the ridge near Brown Fork shelter. It is very very steep(but short).

Yes, we came down this...straight long down hill. We were glad to have brought our traction devices for this (2 inches of snow/ice) otherwise it would have been fun butt ride to the bottom.

Mrs Baggins
01-10-2009, 15:43
That's the Stecoah range and it's tough stuff. Wonder if it is easier going SOBO than NOBO? I think it's one of the tougher sections of trail in the south. In fact, I don't like it... :)

SHOE and I had every intention of going to Fontana on that hike (started at Wayah Bald). But I was so unprepared for that climb out of the NOC and so wiped out by it that the next day's climb to Cheoah and then more climbing after that completely defeated me. SHOE made the decision to bail at Stecoah when I couldn't stop crying every time I looked up to see another hill. :( That descent into Stecoah was steep but I can billygoat it downhill and it was such a relief to be going downhill............but I'll tell you, I wouldn't want to have had to climb UP that sucker either. To find Bare Bear and his pal at Stecoah serving up grilled hot dogs, chips, and drinks was a real blessing that day. :D I do still feel really really bad about how I fell apart and couldn't get to Fontana so now my hubby and I plan to do the climb out of NOC again (because he has GOT to see it!) and get all the way to Fontana this time.

daddytwosticks
01-10-2009, 15:58
Did a short weekend hike starting one afternoon from Stecoah Gap on to Fontana Dam marina back in '05. Had a great lunch at the NOC before starting. Big mistake. About halfway up the mountain between Sweetwater Gap and the shelter, I lost my Wesser burger (with cheese). Hope I didn't violate LNT. It was a belly bustin butt kicker fer sur. :)

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2009, 16:25
[quote=daddytwosticks;755742]Did a short weekend hike starting one afternoon from Stecoah Gap on to Fontana Dam marina back in '05. Had a great lunch at the NOC before starting. Big mistake. About halfway up the mountain between Sweetwater Gap and the shelter, I lost my Wesser burger (with cheese). Hope I didn't violate LNT. It was a belly bustin butt kicker fer sur. :)[/quote :)

l0ngterm
01-10-2009, 20:57
vibedog,

I did this section last year northbound from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam. While I agree with most that it was tough, I loved this trip. There are a few half days that feel like they are all Pointless Ups and Downs (PUDS), the overall trip was awesome. Shelters were a little bit more worn out than Georgia but most were more than adequate. There is no easy day in the Nantahalas but its some great hiking.

I planned on 6 days but finished in 5. I would highly recommend camping on top of Cheoah Bald. Great experience.

l0ngterm

Cookerhiker
01-10-2009, 22:45
Having hiked this stretch southbound, I'll echo what others have said -it's quite ardous. IMO, NC is the 3rd most difficult state (behind ME and NH) and the stretch from Fontana to the NOC is the most difficult part of NC. 2 tough uphill stretches stand out: the first few miles out of Fontana and the ascent up Cheoah Bald. The latter may hold a record for false summits! I also recall a few steep knobs/PUDs.

But at least it was not constant up-and-down like Georgia or NY west of the Hudson or other "roller coasters." There were a few moderate stretches. Also for all the steepness, the footing is forgiving, much more so than the Northeast.

My hike was Fall of '04 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84126) - a very nice time to hike.

Rambler
01-12-2009, 12:32
Best view is Cheoah Bald. Tipi Walter mentions it, but I'll point it out again. The .8 northbound out of Sweetwater Gap is one of the steepest on the AT anywhere! It goes straight up without a switchback (maybe one). But, hey it is less than a mile, and I did it at the end of the day having left NOC in the morning. I hiked by the shelter and got water out of Brown Fork Gap and found a nice place to camp just beyond that. Once beyond Brown Fork it is a nice hike to Fontana, the ups are gentle, the downs are steeper. There are not many long distant views, but you do get a good one looking through the trees down at the Fontana Dam. NOC to Fontana is around 28 miles. NOC itself is a hiker friendly place to stay, nice kitchen, bunk houses showers all for $10. $2 for a towel, get it first or yu will have to go back downhill to the office! There is a shelter 1 mile south and a nice tentsite 2 miles north. Sass.Shelter is about 6 miles, Brown gap 9.1 beyond that and Cable Gap is 6.1 beyond Brown about 7 miles from the Dam. The AT map is the one from Bly Gap GA to Fontana Dam,

SMOOTHGINGER
01-12-2009, 12:51
On my thru hike I spent 4 days resting at the noc. If you go across the bridge and follow the railroad tracks back there are areas to stealth camp. I did this because the noc makes you buy the whole room if you have a pet and everything is kind of pricey at the noc. But there is also alot to do there. The hike out of the noc is one of the steepest and roughest stretch. That could of been from eating pizza,nachos,steak and burgers for four days and spending till 2am in there lounge with other hikers.