PDA

View Full Version : Any one from Ohio on WB and how much of it have you hiked?

Plodderman
01-10-2009, 13:28
I am from Ohio and we have been traveling the past couple of years and doing some of the trail. GSMNP and last year form Atkins to Damascus. This year we are I am going form Springer to Fonatana.

StarLyte
01-10-2009, 14:16
Springer to Fontana is an excellent hike and quite beautiful, damp & cool in March, April is misty and foggy yet very beautiful and mysterious - rhododendrons aren't in bloom them, but there's lots of thru hikers to meet. Three Forks is sometimes active with locals at the Trailhead on the weekend so try and avoid that, same with Blood Mountain shelter.

Have fun !

There's a slew of us here from Ohio: myself, 1Pint, Redneck Rye, Doctari, DeerLeg, BoneLady, two-step, rif-raf, most WBers from Ohio are lurkers, yet are active elsewhere.

Look above and click on About Whiteblaze/tools and view the drop-down menu, then click on Whiteblaze members location map, you can zoom in, there's some of us listed there.

Some of us will be at the PA Ruck :welcome

cathy
01-10-2009, 15:26
I am from Ohio and have sectioned the whole trail and then some over the last 9 years. will be going out this spring somewhere around Bland Va.

Lugnut
01-10-2009, 15:56
I'm from Ohio but I'm in Florida for the next few days. Hey, someone has to do it.

Serial 07
01-10-2009, 17:29
lived in toledo during my teens...NOBO 2007...1000 miles 2008...now i'm in chicago though...

Captain Blue
01-10-2009, 17:36
Captain Blue passing thru ...... Dayton, Ohio ...... 6,200 miles and still counting.

Jeff
01-10-2009, 17:58
Live in Richfield, OH winters and Manchester Ctr, VT summers.

After section hiking the AT I couldn't get enough and opened a hiker hostel in Manchester!!!

TrippinBTM
01-10-2009, 18:35
There's hiking in Ohio? Thought it was all cornfields...

(hey, I'm from Michigan. It wouldn't be right if I didn't take some kind of shot, right?)

bigben
01-10-2009, 18:45
I'm in Cincinnati. Started doing a 1-2 week section a few years ago. I've done the Approach Trail to Winding Stair Gap so far, and will have up to Fontana done by this May.

Captain
01-10-2009, 19:24
cincinnati as well but none

Lugnut
01-10-2009, 23:56
Captain Blue passing thru ...... Dayton, Ohio ...... 6,200 miles and still counting.

Caught your presentation at the Campfire a few weeks back. Enjoyed it.

Cool AT Breeze
01-11-2009, 00:39
Born In Toledo. FL now. 1500 miles so far. Leaving Springer mid Feb again.

Caveman of Ohio
01-11-2009, 00:42
Ashtabula Ohio up by Lake Erie

Jim Adams
01-11-2009, 01:17
I am from Ohio and we have been traveling the past couple of years and doing some of the trail. GSMNP and last year form Atkins to Damascus. This year we are I am going form Springer to Fonatana.
RedNeckRye is from Columbus and LadyBug is from Cinncinatti...both have completed thrus.

Plodderman
01-11-2009, 10:30
Good to see so many from the Buckeye state on the trail. Thru hikers form Ohio congrats I hope to get there some day.

handlebar
01-11-2009, 10:39
I'm from Youngstown in eastern Oh on I-80. Since I'm so close to PA and even WV most of my local hikes are in those states. There is good hiking in SE OH in Wayne National Forest and in State Forests and, of course, there's the Buckeye Trail (see Skeemer's TJ). There's an active, net-enable backpacking club that sponsors lots of trips: www.neohbackpackingclub.com (http://www.neohbackpackingclub.com)

Plodderman
01-11-2009, 16:57
Handlebar I have been all over Wayne National Forrest great place to hike and I usually go to Shawnee State Forrest to to hills to get ready for th AT.

Captain
01-11-2009, 17:03
anyone thru hiked the ohio trail? :datz :rolleyes:

Captain Blue
01-11-2009, 17:58
Caught your presentation at the Campfire a few weeks back. Enjoyed it.

Thank you Lugnut!

gollwoods
01-11-2009, 18:01
i'm from the toledo area i like to hike the smokies mainly

-SEEKER-
01-11-2009, 20:37
Also from Ohio obviously. Have only done 393 miles of the trail to date. Goal is to finish the last 9 mi. in Georgia and make it to the I-70 footbridge in MD this year. Then next year finish the northern section.

jfarrell04
01-11-2009, 22:15
Also from Dayton, Ohio (moving to Beavercreek next week!!). Walked GSMNP in 1987 and have made it to Little Gap, PA as of November 08......I'm on the 40 year plan!!!

Doctari
01-12-2009, 01:21
There's a slew of us here from Ohio: myself, 1Pint, Redneck Rye, Doctari, DeerLeg, BoneLady, two-step, rif-raf.

Guilty as charged :p

534.8 miles of the AT so far, hopeing for another 200 in May/June.

Gorp-Gobbler
01-12-2009, 11:19
This is in Hardin County BTW.

Made a mistake in 1993 and moved to IN.

Have sectioned hiked having started in 1973 up to 79'. Got married "NO Hiking". Now Happily Divorced.

Section hiking again and planning a Thru in 2011.

Hiking a lot of trails over here in Indiana.

Pony
01-13-2009, 18:00
Springer to Damascus, and the northern half of SNP last year. This year I hope to go from Damascus to Harpers Ferry. Who knows, I may just keep walking until I've had my fill for the summer.

Screech
01-13-2009, 18:17
I am from Dayton as well.

steve43
01-20-2009, 12:34
i'm from bowling green and have managed to cover everything from springer to pearisburg. i've spent a lot of time hiking in se ohio as a means to tune up for the AT. glad to see so many other hikers from ohio on WB.

fifo

Morpheus
01-20-2009, 22:04
Springer to Hot Springs so far.
Go to Benchmark in Cincinnati for best gear.
Take a zero @ NOC.
Contact me if I can help.

addict
01-21-2009, 13:23
anyone thru hiked the ohio trail? :datz :rolleyes:

Hello Buckeyes.

We're from Akron. The BT has good sections but a TON of it is road walks in the Northwest and central northern sections. Thru hiking is difficult because of the lack of camp sites and poor water quality. Southeast Hocking Hills area is supposed to be great and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park offers nice parts of the trail.

:cool:
Dan & Leah
AT SoBOS 08

Gorp-Gobbler
01-22-2009, 12:26

Have sectioned hiked having started in 1973 up to 79'. Got married "NO Hiking". Now Happily Divorced.

I summited Katahdin in 73' and the following year and every year after that up to 76' I hiked South down to ME Hyw. 27. Then I jumped down to North Adams, MASS and went North up through Vermont to Sherburn Pass. Did in section over in PA from Port Clinton South for a week.
In 87 or 88 went from Harpers Ferry North through MD to PA.

kolokolo
01-27-2009, 23:02
I'm from Cleveland. I've hiked at least a couple of miles of the AT in every state that it passes through. A lot of miles in VA and NC. Hope to hike the entire Georgia section this Summer.

Tilly
01-27-2009, 23:36

GorpGobbler! And you live in the nice part of Indiana...:)

roxy33x
01-27-2009, 23:59
Im from cbus... starting my thru hike this march!

LIVESTRONG
01-28-2009, 18:40
Live in Lancaster and work/Live also in Cleveland area(north royalton)

thruhiked in 05' and have done 300 additional miles.

I havnt hiked much of the Buckeye trail but have done all of the Zaleski area and old mans cave area. I maintain a 11 mile section of the old man cave section. It really makes me feel good to give back to so many people who have done so much more than I.

All of you Clevelanders give me a shout if you want to go hiking/camping I have all my gear up here and cant wait to get out.

bigboots
01-28-2009, 18:55
Akron (area), never stepped foot on the trail hope to step foot on the entire trail starting in 35 days!

Ranc0r
01-28-2009, 19:31
SW Ohio here. As far as the AT is concerned, I've only hiked it through GSMNP. Took a break to have kids.

MEANT 2B
01-31-2009, 20:01
My first time hiking was the Zaleski Backpacking Trail, Memorial Day Weekend '96. Less than one year later I was just about to enter the Shenandoah on my thru-hike. I was born and raised in the flat part of Ohio, yes the northwestern part. I couldn't take it anymore and had to get out of that desolate waste land for somewhere that had much more to offer in the way of things to do other than drive for countless hours by yourself to go have some fun.

Since I use to live 14 miles from that famous Route 66, no not the one out in the mid/southwest but the one in Ohio I can atest to the fact that the Buckeye Trail is also barren waste land. Sure you might be hiking on an old rail line between St. Marys and Delphos...you know what...it's all roadwalking and its all barren waste land.

Sorry, can't resist.

MEANT 2B
GAME '97

Deerleg
02-01-2009, 11:23
Akron (area), never stepped foot on the trail hope to step foot on the entire trail starting in 35 days!

Good luck bigboots. I grew up in Akron. I'm headed out the door right now to CC sky the tow path just north of you this morning. Stop by some time if you want to talk about the trail.

I'v got 1000 miles of AT behind me and hope to do about 100 miles or so just South of Shenandoah NP mid March.

Nice to see so many Buckeyes on WB!

Kevin,
Doylestown Ohio

mister krabs
02-01-2009, 11:42
Perrysburg OH here, made the move to atlanta in 92, started doing weekend AT miles summer before last. Before that I was into canoe tripping. All of Georgia and a little NC done. Doubt I'll ever thru or get further north than GSMNP, but who knows?

seedog
03-08-2009, 08:20
I'm just south of Columbus. I only found out about the AT last year. Friends of ours live just north of Sharpsburg, so last year on a visit we took a hike. We took the kids and did a 5 mile section from Reno monument sobo to G.S. Park. Now I'm hooked

Mighty Mouse
03-08-2009, 18:53
I'm from eastern Ohio, near Pittsburgh. I currently reside in Cbus. In '08, I attempted a thru. Made from GA to VA. Got off due to injury. I plan on attempting another thru in '10 or '11. I've done trails in many states, but here in OH, it's difficult. The best I've seen is Shawnee, in southern OH.

jpelaston
03-08-2009, 19:33
im in Greenville OH, just northwest of Dayton. I have hiked all over the place but not set foot on the AT yet. my wife and I are sectioning this year.

Pony
03-12-2009, 15:11
I'm from eastern Ohio, near Pittsburgh. I currently reside in Cbus. In '08, I attempted a thru. Made from GA to VA. Got off due to injury. I plan on attempting another thru in '10 or '11. I've done trails in many states, but here in OH, it's difficult. The best I've seen is Shawnee, in southern OH.

I haven't been to Shawnee, though I intend on hitting it this spring or summer. Have you been to Wildcat Hollow? I was just there a few days ago and it was really nice. The southern loop of the trail is pretty clear but the northern loop is a mess due to that windstorm last fall. Still a great time though. It was good to see the critters out and about. Saw a snake and three slamanders.

schnikel
10-17-2009, 19:38
C-Bus as well.
My wife and I drove a friend down to Springer this year for his thru hike. Did the first 75 miles of the A.T. with him to help send him off. Loved every mile of it!! Hike a lot in Ohio as well-Zeleski, Tar Hollow, etc...
schnikel

Jayboflavin04
10-18-2009, 09:06
There's hiking in Ohio? Thought it was all cornfields...

(hey, I'm from Michigan. It wouldn't be right if I didn't take some kind of shot, right?)

There isnt much hiking in Ohio. Anything you will find is mostly overnighters. Unless you do the Buckeye Trail which is a loop around the state and is part of the NCT.

earlyriser26
10-18-2009, 09:30
From Delaware, just north of Columbus. I have hiked most of the sourhern AT except for some on northern VA and all of Maine except for the wilderness.