PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Carvers Gap

mbanja
01-10-2009, 22:49
I know that parking on 19E is not recommended under any circumstances. How is the parking at Carver's Gap? I'm planning on leaving it there for about 6 days. Also, I know this belongs in the shuttle section - but who would you get for a shuttle from Carver's Gap to Hot Springs?

karo
01-10-2009, 23:38
I have left my vehicle at Carver's Gap before, but there have been problems in the past. For your best bet, contact Bob Peoples at the Kincora Hiker Hostel for lodging or a shuttle, addy:
1278 Dennis Cove Rd
Hampton, TN 37658
Phone: (423)725-3039

Tennessee Viking
01-11-2009, 02:55
This is my club's section. And there have been a few incidents of break-ins at Carvers Gap, but 19E gets the most attention. Not so kind people also check out Carvers Gap for vehicles left unattended.

I would recommend parking at Kincora, Braemar Castle, or Mountain Harbour B&B. Either place can shuttle you up to Carvers Gap. But I would check with Bob Peoples since he has a good flow of shuttles. Then depending on my availability, I can provide local shuttles to Carvers Gap, however I stay pretty local on distance.

mbanja
01-11-2009, 23:22
Does Bob Peoples have anything to do with Kincora? Also, where would be the best spot to end the hike if I'm parked at Kincora? I'm hiking north form Hot Springs and I plan on 6 days. Irwin is a little too short, but I'm planning on staying at Uncle Johnny's one night anyway. Damascus is too far. Carvers put me just at 100 miles, but I don't want to crawl out of the woods and find half a Subaru waiting for me.

Rentman
01-11-2009, 23:33
This is a pretty good 100 miles stretch.......the climb up Roan will kick ya butt............:eek:

mbanja
01-11-2009, 23:36
Sounds like you want to come too!

Rentman
01-11-2009, 23:37
Ya know that's right...................:banana

mbanja
01-11-2009, 23:49
i'm thinking starting at HS, 11 mi to Spring Gap, then humping over to flint (round 21-22 sumthing..), then bald 21, then Johnny's. If I'm short and want to stop I can always tarp and make up the next day. After Johnny's i was thinking Cherry Gap (16) and then down to Carvers (16). This may be my only pass for 2009, since Banja jr. is coming in May/June. gotta haul some tail this time!

Chaco Taco
01-11-2009, 23:58
Man include the section over the balds and the humps. You will not want to stop when you come out at Carvers. Roan is overratted too. The view aint as great as evryone makes it out to be for the uphill you have to do. Mountain Harbor hostel is just off the trail and they have decent rates. We left the car at Carvers and it was fine

Rentman
01-11-2009, 23:59
Looks doable..............when March???? May be able to do the last two days with ya or something. We'll figure something out..............

Rentman
01-12-2009, 00:03
Man include the section over the balds and the humps. You will not want to stop when you come out at Carvers. Roan is overratted too. The view aint as great as evryone makes it out to be for the uphill you have to do. Mountain Harbor hostel is just off the trail and they have decent rates. We left the car at Carvers and it was fine
Mike, can't wait until you do the next section over the HUMPs....I'll be there for that............

mbanja
01-12-2009, 00:44
The story of my hike... Just wait until the next section!!!! Crawling my way north, one bit at a time.

Tennessee Viking
01-12-2009, 14:21
Only bad part about Northbound is the climb from Hughes Gap up Roan. 2.5 miles of a steep climb with roots and rock covering the trail. If its icy or wet, take your time. We are in the are planning and working to relocate that section in the next couple years.

You can also leave your car at Johnnys in Erwin, that way you can resupply in town yourself, then get a pick up in a couple days.

Bob Peoples runs the Kincora Hostel. But he can run or pickup anybody anywhere in the area. Tuesdays he is usually out working on the trail already. But you should be able to get some cell signal on top of Roan if you need to make a call. Its also heavily visited, so a ride into town might be available.

If you extend your hike to Dennis Cove/Kincora (about 2 more days), its about 13-14 miles with new relocations from Carvers Gap to 19E. This section will give the Balds, the Barn, and the Humps. Mountain Harbour is 1/3mile from trail heading north on 19E going into Roan Mtn, TN. Great services, but a little expensive in my opinion. Then another 23-24 miles from 19E to Dennis Cove with the Jones Falls, Elk River, the Mountaineer, and WhiteRocks ridgeline.

ranfreem
01-12-2009, 14:33
you could use Greasy Creek Friendly. South of Hughes Gap for shuttle or parking. I have and Connie's very pleasant

Chaco Taco
01-12-2009, 14:44
Only bad part about Northbound is the climb from Hughes Gap up Roan. 2.5 miles of a steep climb with roots and rock covering the trail. If its icy or wet, take your time. We are in the are planning and working to relocate that section in the next couple years.

You can also leave your car at Johnnys in Erwin, that way you can resupply in town yourself, then get a pick up in a couple days.

Bob Peoples runs the Kincora Hostel. But he can run or pickup anybody anywhere in the area. Tuesdays he is usually out working on the trail already. But you should be able to get some cell signal on top of Roan if you need to make a call. Its also heavily visited, so a ride into town might be available.

If you extend your hike to Dennis Cove/Kincora (about 2 more days), its about 13-14 miles with new relocations from Carvers Gap to 19E. This section will give the Balds, the Barn, and the Humps. Mountain Harbour is 1/3mile from trail heading north on 19E going into Roan Mtn, TN. Great services, but a little expensive in my opinion. Then another 23-24 miles from 19E to Dennis Cove with the Jones Falls, Elk River, the Mountaineer, and WhiteRocks ridgeline.

Why the relo?? As much as it sucks on the climb, its part of the challenge that makes Roan so tough. Not being pushy, just curious if its because of the erosion or what?

Tennessee Viking
01-12-2009, 14:44
you could use Greasy Creek Friendly. South of Hughes Gap for shuttle or parking. I have and Connie's very pleasant
How was your experience with the neighbor?

Chaco Taco
01-12-2009, 14:45
I know that parking on 19E is not recommended under any circumstances. How is the parking at Carver's Gap? I'm planning on leaving it there for about 6 days. Also, I know this belongs in the shuttle section - but who would you get for a shuttle from Carver's Gap to Hot Springs?
Hey Banjo enjoy the hike, you will enjoy that section of trail. The camping is choice and there are some great spots. We will have to get out again soon my friend.

Tennessee Viking
01-12-2009, 14:56
Why the relo?? As much as it sucks on the climb, its part of the challenge that makes Roan so tough. Not being pushy, just curious if its because of the erosion or what?Its mainly due to the extensive erosion (ex. above Ash Gap) and new ATC grade guidlines for TN/NC. Then Grassy Ridge has one new relocation, with some more coming. Little Hump to Bradley Gap relocation is about to open this year.

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 23:38
- but who would you get for a shuttle from Carver's Gap to Hot Springs?

Could also check with Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs. They shuttled us a time or two.

Rain:sunMan