PDA

View Full Version : Had to come home

Matt Pincham
04-21-2004, 20:02
This post has been a long time in the making as I haven't visited WB for at least a month. Been a bit depressed about having to quit the trail so early. Here's my story.

My girlfriend, Lindsay, and I touched down in Atlanta on 23rd March and were picked up by Josh Saint (PROFILE '00) and we went to the Hiker Hostel, Dahlonega for a couple of nights while we got the remnants of our kit and our food sorted. Started from Amicalola on the 25th March and I was so happy to be on the trail at last. Lindsay was feeling a bit ill as she had a cold but was still enjoying herself. Anyway, we got about 2 days into our hike and Lindsay's knee was hurting her real bad. I was having a pretty bad day myself up Sassafras Mountain and was wishing I had spent more time training for the hike. We camped on our 3rd night at Justus Creek which is a mile or two before Gooch Gap and by this time Lindsay was in agony as a childhood pain in her knee had resurfaced. We then made the decision that we would have to quit the trail. We hiked the next day to Woody Gap then took the road to Suches. A lovely family drove past and we waved at them, then 2 minutes later they came back and offered us a lift. I was amazed at how kind-hearted everyone in America was and one of the ladies in the car was actually going to be starting from Springer that day.

Once we got to Suches Josh was kind enough to pick us up and we stayed a few nights at the Hiker Hostel while we tried to make plans. Even after spending only a few hours off the trail I really longed to be back up in the mountains. I wished I was still hiking up those 45 degree inclines while the (surprisingly warm) Georgian sun burned my arms. Lindsay said that if I wanted to carry on hiking the trail, she wouldn't mind going home on her own but I love Lindsay so much I didn't want to hike without her.

To cut a long story short, we went to New York City for a day, (raining, overcast and boring) went to Spain for a week and a half (raining, overcast and boring) and then came home to the UK (raining, overcast and boring). I'm already back in the daily 9-5 grind but my working is motivated by one thing... you'll be damned if you're keeping me away from that trail for too long. I can't stop thinking about it and mark my words, whether it's in a year or a decade, I'll be back, and I will thru-hike that trail.

See you all in 2005 (or later)
Matt Pincham

Lone Wolf
04-21-2004, 20:25
Regroup, retrain, replan. Y'all will be back. You haven't failed. Things NEVER go as planned when you leave Springer Mtn.

SGT Rock
04-21-2004, 21:11
Learn what you would change next time and do it again.

Doctari
04-22-2004, 12:51
Matt, it ain't no thing. The thru hike will happen if it is supposed to. As Wingfoot & others say "To do a thru hike it MUST be the most important thing in your life" and I agree with this, it even applies to section hiking: take it from someone who has bailled on 3 of 6 section hikes because home was more important (well, actually my wife, not "home" :) )
Right now, your girlfriend & her well being is more important. And that is OK! As with me on each hike, you will learn more. You now know more about a thru hike than you did before, and so does your girlfriend. Look at it this way, you both stoped before permanent damage was done to her or your relationship. And that is OK!
Before your next trip:
Her: visit(s) to a SPORTS MEDICINE MD, Phisical therapy, strength / stamana training, look into UL backpacking & pare weight to a minimum, Try (2) trekking poles if you arn't already doing so, etc. Next trip: Feel pain while hiking? Stop! STOP now! Set up camp & if pain free go again next day. This will allow you to do more miles in the long run than if you had pushed on (foolishly I might add).
You: go to MD with her, Help with PT & strength / stamana training (this will help you too) Go as UL as you can, and then carry some of her gear.

It looks as if you 2 did well, started out slow & stuff but things happen. Next time will be better :sun

Use this time to: go over your gear, save your money, get fit, dream.

Best wishes!

Doctari.

MadAussieInLondon
04-22-2004, 12:56
hey matt. touching base! hope spain was great. were in pearisburg right now at the holy church hostel. hiking out tomorow. anyways, shame you couldnt complete. hope Lindsey is better now. i already have thoughts of PCT in my head, havnt even done half of the AT yet... hahahah

laters mate.

Jaybird
04-22-2004, 17:20
Matt,
sorry you had to cut your hike short....
BUT,....you'll be back.....just take this down time to plan, plan, plan....
equipment wise & health-wise.

good luck!