PDA

View Full Version : Reporting incidents on the A.T.

Lauriep
01-11-2009, 10:14
Just thought I would pass along these tips:

If you have an incident to report or something suspicious that could be a threat to the A.T. (whether it's violence, ATVs on the Trail, someone causing trouble, vandalism, etc.) you can report it in one of the following ways:

1) Send an email to ATC at [email protected].

This is often best because it automatically goes to multiple recipients, provides us a written record that can be easily circulated, and gives us an email where we can contact you.

2) Call ATC at (304) 535-6331 if you want to talk to someone in person here.

3) Contact A.T. Chief Ranger Todd Remaley at (304) 535-6171 office or email him at [email protected].

For the record, Ranger Remaley now works out of the Appalachian Trail NPS office in Harpers Ferry, less than 1/4 mile from ATC. (He used to work in Boiling Springs, PA). Todd is a former A.T. thru-hiker.

In an emergency, call 911.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

TOW
01-11-2009, 12:45
That is some good information Laurie.....

Newb
01-12-2009, 12:45
I plugged that into the old cell phone. Also, if you hike Shenandoah a lot, it's a good idea to have the SNP emergency # in your phone..it's: 1-800-732-0911

budforester
01-12-2009, 13:10
Just thought I would pass along these tips:

If you have an incident to report or something suspicious that could be a threat to the A.T. (whether it's violence, ATVs on the Trail, someone causing trouble, vandalism, etc.) you can report it in one of the following ways:

1) Send an email to ATC at [email protected].

This is often best because it automatically goes to multiple recipients, provides us a written record that can be easily circulated, and gives us an email where we can contact you.

2) Call ATC at (304) 535-6331 if you want to talk to someone in person here.

3) Contact A.T. Chief Ranger Todd Remaley at (304) 535-6171 office or email him at [email protected].

For the record, Ranger Remaley now works out of the Appalachian Trail NPS office in Harpers Ferry, less than 1/4 mile from ATC. (He used to work in Boiling Springs, PA). Todd is a former A.T. thru-hiker.

In an emergency, call 911.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Thanks, Laurie, that's important info. Maybe it should be easily accessible someplace on WB if it is not here already... "Articles", perhaps?

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 14:41
I'd have to have those numbers in my cell phone speed dial, I see so much evidence of ATVs and horses on the AT whenever I go out.

All the same, I sure appreciate the info!!! Might use it next time.

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
01-12-2009, 14:46
If you are ever in a situation and unsure of what to do, call the authorities or Rangers. Was confronted with a situation and had to do it and it was handled swiftly! When in doubt, make the call.

Sly
01-12-2009, 16:12
Thanks, Laurie, that's important info. Maybe it should be easily accessible someplace on WB if it is not here already... "Articles", perhaps?

Perhaps this thread also needs to be stickied right here in the general forum

Newb
01-12-2009, 16:35
So if you call the AT Ranger in Harper's Ferry with an issue/or problem...he could direct local law enforcement to check it out if need be?

trailangelmary
01-12-2009, 17:08
Perhaps this thread also needs to be stickied right here in the general forum

I agree. I also think it should be posted somehow early on the trail because so many hikers when they get to Duncannon that I talk to are not aware of this information. Maybe on the bulletin boards maintained by the hiking clubs.

Bulldawg
01-12-2009, 20:32
I agree. I also think it should be posted somehow early on the trail because so many hikers when they get to Duncannon that I talk to are not aware of this information. Maybe on the bulletin boards maintained by the hiking clubs.

Maybe even posted in every shelter???:confused::-?

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 06:27
LaurieP's article should be posted on the front page of WhiteBlaze with the bolo report on Crutch (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=760131&postcount=1)along with his pic (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15267&c=searchresults&searchid=20974). Maximum exposure on this guy will help get him caught and hopefully prevent any harm coming to anyone else. No need for long threads berating each other, just a short one that uses the WB audience to help catch someone who has the potential to cause harm and reflects poorly on hikers in general. I, for one, do not want to think we did not do everything possible to keep people informed about this bad guy and help prevent others from becoming his next victim.

Let's be civil and make sure this guy gets maximum exposure.

Gaiter
01-22-2009, 07:43
i second tinman: sticky both threads!

TOW
01-22-2009, 09:53
I third what gaiter seconded..........

Bulldawg
01-22-2009, 12:03
Yeah, what all those other guys said. All WB members should be interested in protecting hikers on the AT, the PCT, the CDT, heck all the trails out there where any person preying on hikers might be.

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 13:16
Yeah, what all those other guys said. All WB members should be interested in protecting hikers on the AT, the PCT, the CDT, heck all the trails out there where any person preying on hikers might be.

It's about this... http://www.righttohikeinc.com/

generoll
01-22-2009, 20:17
It's about this... http://www.righttohikeinc.com/

Wow, sounds like a bad actor. I'm surprised that more information hasn't come to light about this guy. Do you suppose he's moved to a different hunting ground?

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 20:29
Wow, sounds like a bad actor. I'm surprised that more information hasn't come to light about this guy. Do you suppose he's moved to a different hunting ground?

who knows. he might even be reading this. a strong person would turn himself in and face the music. that is his best option.

tuswm
02-06-2009, 11:48
Where was he last seen? We spent a night in a shelter with him in November or December. Seamed like a real nice guy. He even had a black lab puppy with him.

Lilred
02-06-2009, 12:15
IF you folks are talking about Hilton, He is in Florida right now facing the death penalty for killing another hiker there. He pled guilty to Emerson's murder, and got life.

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 14:33
IF you folks are talking about Hilton, He is in Florida right now facing the death penalty for killing another hiker there. He pled guilty to Emerson's murder, and got life.

Nope, different guy...

Law enforcement authorities are looking for a former and possibly a current Appalachian Trail Hiker that goes by the name of "Crutch." His real name is Daniel Joseph Stearns.

He is wanted on charges that include theft in Florida, Iowa, and Colorado.

He is reported to be driving a red Toyota Camry with Florida tags.

He is known to frequent the Appalachian Trail and hostels and communities along the trail.

If you encounter this person please do not take matters in your own hands and contact Law Enforcement Authorities with this information.

He is approximately 6-6'1" tall, lean build, muscular, black or dark brown hair and brown eyes. His DOB is 11-02-1966.

This information has been confirmed and validated by the Chief Ranger for the Appalachian Trail, Ranger Todd Remaley.

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 14:33
good info to konw

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 14:37
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/2/7/9/CrutchSKIshirt07.jpg

BR360
02-06-2009, 16:19
LaurieP's article should be posted on the front page of WhiteBlaze with the bolo report on Crutch (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=760131&postcount=1)along with his pic (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15267&c=searchresults&searchid=20974).

1. What's a "bolo report."

2. Pic link (above) does not work.

3. Is he the guy in ON the T-shirt, or holding the T-shirt in post #22?

4. Quote: If you encounter this person please do not take matters in your own hands [instead] contact Law Enforcement Authorities with this information.

Sly
02-06-2009, 16:21
Bolo = be on the look out

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 16:27
1. What's a "bolo report."

2. Pic link (above) does not work.

3. Is he the guy in ON the T-shirt, or holding the T-shirt in post #22?

4. Quote: If you encounter this person please do not take matters in your own hands [instead] contact Law Enforcement Authorities with this information.

the guy holding the t-shirt. search galleries for more pics of crutch

BR360
02-06-2009, 16:30
Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2009, 16:36
Geez, guys, what's the deal? You all go see "Mall Cop" and get inspired?

Seems to me some of you are laying this on a little thick here.

The person in question will almost certainly NOT be hanging on the Trail this year and subsequently will NOT be a threat to anyone out there.

So lighten up.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2009, 16:40
The person in question will almost certainly NOT be hanging on the Trail this year and subsequently will NOT be a threat to anyone out there.

you don't know that for sure

Sly
02-06-2009, 16:49
Seems to me some of you are laying this on a little thick here.

Yeah, comparing him to Hilton was over the top. Still, if he's taken advantage of unsuspecting hikers and trail providers it should be noted.

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 16:52
raising awareness, that's all

many law-breakers repeat the same mistakes... be careful out there and look out for this guy

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 16:55
Yeah, comparing him to Hilton was over the top. Still, if he's taken advantage of unsuspecting hikers and trail providers it should be noted.

you are right, but cornered rats can get desperate... just report the rat, don't confront him

TOW
02-06-2009, 20:37
He's been confronted on more than one occasion and has always came back to the trail.....

mtbmatty
02-07-2009, 11:41
i'm all for raising awareness....and it's better for us all to be safe than sorry

is this guy dangerous, or just wanted for questioning for theft? or is he just getting a bad rap?

Sly
02-07-2009, 11:47
i'm all for raising awareness....and it's better for us all to be safe than sorry

is this guy dangerous, or just wanted for questioning for theft? or is he just getting a bad rap?

I'd say it was legit, it was validated and confirmed by the ranger for the ATC.

Lauriep
02-07-2009, 18:18
Todd has conveyed the same information to ATC that was attributed to him by the Only Wandered here on WhiteBlaze.

Just as a point of clarification, Chief Ranger Todd Remaley works for the National Park Service A.T. office, not ATC. We do employ ridgerunners, but we do not employ any rangers. ATC has no law enforcement powers.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC