PDA

View Full Version : Economy Sucks- Great time to Hike !

Ramble~On
01-11-2009, 12:29
The economy sucks....my job is killing me and it's time to go for a walk.
My 1996 thru hike had some holes in it- I skipped sections.
I want to hike the PCT & JMT but I've carried this feeling of "uncompleteness" about the AT. In 1996 I didn't climb Katahdin as I wanted to save it for later. Later is now-2009.
I won't hike the PCT or JMT until I complete the AT and rather than filling in the pieces - I'm gonna start from scratch.
I have hoped and dreamed for the chance to take this much time off for more than a decade. If I can work out a "deal" with my job - I'm gone.
:-? And uh...if I can't work out a deal with my job - they're gone.

Sly
01-11-2009, 12:36
No way. I'd be on the PCT in a heartbeat and fill in the pieces of the AT after.

Jeff
01-11-2009, 12:44
Me Too!

In 2006 I was one section away from completing the AT. That spring I started sectioning the PCT leaving from Campo. After finishing in Big Bear, CA, I told my wife I had no interest in returning to the AT....just wanted to go west and continue on the PCT.

Fortunately, she convinced me to drive to Maine and finish what I started.:)

Ramble~On
01-11-2009, 13:00
I used to live out there, I've done sections. The PCT isn't going anywhere - not that the AT is either. It's not about filling in pieces for me- It's about this burning desire to hike the entire trail in one go.
I've had the AT on my mind for too long. It's more about me than the trail. The PCT will be next.

Sly
01-11-2009, 14:11
When I started the AT I wanted to "thru-hike" but ran out of money about halfway through. Same with the PCT. Third time was a charm, and I completed the CDT in one shot. Neither time on the AT or PCT, did I have desire to start over. What if I got injured? Both times, the next year I picked up where I left off. This way, I covered the entire trail. Both hikes were great and I met double the people.

IMO, hiking out west blows east coast hiking away.

YMMV

Egads
01-11-2009, 14:18
The economy sucks.

We very busy at work. I went in for a half day yesterday to catch up. We are using the economic down turn to hire people cut loose elsewhere. I am questioning the outlook one year from now. Quite a few A&E firms are struggling now & they are the leading edge of the construction cycle.

I have a few friends and acquaintances in different markets that have been let go or are working reduced hours.

I will agree with you it is a great time for a hike.:)

volleypc
01-12-2009, 21:58
I am not far from you in Boone and was laid off back in November. I said at that time I wish it had been a few months later then I would just take off and hike the AT. Well now, a few months later and still without a job, I am strongly considering it. I am going to decide for sure in the next couple of weeks but if it works out, I will start in early March. I have a good opportunity in Knoxville after the real estate market picks up..so hopefully it will turn around before I am done in Sept.

daylaandjasper
01-13-2009, 23:25
Ithink Yogi was pretty on when she says in her PCT book the only thing the At andPCT have in common is they are both long hikes. I thruhiked the AT and have section hiked over half the PCT- they both have a pull on me but for different reasons.

for me the AT is more about the social experience with some nice views and wildlife and some really steep climbs. and its the AT, my first long hike where I met lifelong friends and had the best time of my life.

the views are way better on the PCT- it is much much wilder and much more solitary. you pretty onlymuch see the people you are hiking with and then see others in town. for me the higher mileage required on the PCT was mentally harder, I'm an inconsistent hiker and that's hard to do on the PCT and finish a thru - one of my sections was an attempted thru.

you really can't go wrong- they are both magical trails.

buckwheat
01-14-2009, 09:35
It's also a great time to exercise your inner John Galt.

I'm retiring at age 46. I intend to spend my savings and my retirement hiking and exploring America for the next 10 years (or as long as my health holds out). I will reenter the workforce and start paying taxes again when the taxation situation is favored toward the taxpayers, and not the taxtakers.

I will start paying taxes again when my taxes aren't used to give to Detroit unions and millionaire bankers, also known as "campaign donors."

I intend to have a very, very good time. I am refusing work (and thus, will withhold 5-figures of taxation per year) as long as the payoff for me is so low and as long as my taxes are being used the way they are.

I'm shrugging.