PDA

View Full Version : What would/have you do/done after your hike?

ATX-Hiker
01-11-2009, 12:55
It's less than 2 months now before I start my thru. I've started getting things in order for my departure. I'm unloading most of my material possessions that I've acquired over the years, been a bit of a pack rat. My plan is when I leave is to only hold on to whatever will fit in my truck and a small closet at a family members house. When I get back I'll just be turning 29 and should have enough money to get by for 3-4 months and a place to stay with family if needed/wanted. I'm hoping to figure out what it is I want to do while on my hike. Right now I'm only seeing a couple options, finish school (year and half left, and I'd have to stay around Austin) or work for an outfitter or other outdoor related job either here in Austin or possibly somewhere else. Moving somewhere new has been on my mind lately as I won't have a lot of stuff holding me down and should be able to load up the truck and go.

Anybody been in a similar position pre-hike?

Has anyone made a significant lifestyle change after their hike? i.e moved, career, education, etc.

A-Train
01-11-2009, 13:01
It's less than 2 months now before I start my thru. I've started getting things in order for my departure. I'm unloading most of my material possessions that I've acquired over the years, been a bit of a pack rat. My plan is when I leave is to only hold on to whatever will fit in my truck and a small closet at a family members house. When I get back I'll just be turning 29 and should have enough money to get by for 3-4 months and a place to stay with family if needed/wanted. I'm hoping to figure out what it is I want to do while on my hike. Right now I'm only seeing a couple options, finish school (year and half left, and I'd have to stay around Austin) or work for an outfitter or other outdoor related job either here in Austin or possibly somewhere else. Moving somewhere new has been on my mind lately as I won't have a lot of stuff holding me down and should be able to load up the truck and go.

Anybody been in a similar position pre-hike?

Has anyone made a significant lifestyle change after their hike? i.e moved, career, education, etc.

A thru-hike is a good thing for someone in your boat who doesn't know quite what's next but has some built in resources.

Finishing your education is obviously a good investment, but you should be dying to go back to school, not just because it's something to do. As Wingfoot always said "do what is most important to you at the time". For now this is to hike, in 7-8 months it should be clear what you want/should be doing.

Only advice I can really offer is to pay attention to all the opportunities around you on trail. Listen to others, make friends, make connections, etc. Maybe some possibility will arise which will lead to your next adventure (jobs, internship, homestay, house sitting, etc.)

Have fun!

Spirit Walker
01-11-2009, 13:12
After my first thruhike I worked for a couple of months at my previous job on a temporary basis (to clean up the mess my replacement had made) and then I moved to San Francisco, which had been a dream of mine. I lived there for three years before heading for the trail again. After my second thruhike I again went back to a previous job on a temporary basis to help out then ended up moving east to be with my hiking partner (now husband).

Moving to a new location is a way of filling the void that is left after thruhiking by giving you a new challenge and a new place to explore. It allows you to live other dreams (i.e. of living in the mountains or in the city). It doesn't solve all your problems, but it gives you a chance to start over, which can be a good thing but can also be lonely. I always felt that I had the best of both worlds in a way. Going back to a familiar routine and people who were happy to see me after my hike was good. I felt very welcomed. At the same time, I was ready for a real change in my life (both times) and the move six months after the thruhike allowed me to do what I really wanted to do.

Frick Frack
01-11-2009, 14:21
We want to live in the mountains of WNC or GA so we have to be patient. Jobs are harder to find in the mountains but we are sure something will surface soon. For now it has been a bunch of bike riding to catch up on a 5 month absence.

Sly
01-11-2009, 15:28

Yeah, the only future I think about is my next hike. Life is short, may as wll enjoy it.

TrippinBTM
01-11-2009, 16:10
I've been reducing my belongings (I can fit them all in my truck right now, but it's still too much), and am applying to forest service type jobs. If none of that pans out (and even if it does), I'm gonna head out west and try my luck out there. Always wanted to live in the mountains; probably gonna head to Colorado. Figure I'll find some kind of work.

Didn't figure out crap on my hike, but I am thinking about going back to school for forestry or something so I can get involved in the forest service, the parks service(s), or conservation groups.

Pacific Tortuga
01-11-2009, 16:33
Yeah, the only future I think about is my next hike. Life is short, may as wll enjoy it.

100%, all I do is plot to get back on a long distance trail too.

Dogwood
01-11-2009, 16:33

SOB. True hiker trash! U took my line.

Walking through the woods will certainly help clear your mind so U R in a better place to deterrmine your next move, what U want in your life, and what U want to stand for. It will also give U opportunities to contribute in ways U don't yet even know will exist!

Rockhound
01-11-2009, 22:45
The future is now.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2009, 22:50
The future is now.
Nope, the future is just a tiny bit ahead of now. Opps, missed it, nows it the past.

Brett
01-11-2009, 22:58
Im in the exact same boat ATX. Young Texan feeling myself falling into a rut that isnt my lifes true calling. Sure I have a good paying job with a skys the limit future...but Im not happy with it. The 09 thru hike is purely a Spiritual journy for me. A mind clensing, soul purging, discovering ones true self journy... I plan on making many friends, having tons of experiences, spending lots of time in prayer/meditation, and hopefully...coming out of this with a new view on life and myself. Self realization? I grew up in scouts, am an Eagle Scout even, have spent nights unprepared in freezing rain soaked to the bone...miserable. But i wouldnt trade being in that situation for being back home going to a mind numbing job everyday!!! Im so stoked!

Dogwood
01-12-2009, 03:16
Im in the exact same boat ATX. Young Texan feeling myself falling into a rut that isnt my lifes true calling. Sure I have a good paying job with a skys the limit future...but Im not happy with it. The 09 thru hike is purely a Spiritual journy for me. A mind clensing, soul purging, discovering ones true self journy... I plan on making many friends, having tons of experiences, spending lots of time in prayer/meditation, and hopefully...coming out of this with a new view on life and myself. Self realization? I grew up in scouts, am an Eagle Scout even, have spent nights unprepared in freezing rain soaked to the bone...miserable. But i wouldnt trade being in that situation for being back home going to a mind numbing job everyday!!! Im so stoked!

Well then. Consider yourself a prime candidate for the 2200 mile obstacle course, spiritual pilgrimmage, highly recommended self-help course, self realization seminar, self esteem building counseling session, anger management class, learning to think/live outside of the box perspective called an AT thru-hike!

Ramble~On
01-12-2009, 08:49
We want to live in the mountains of WNC or GA so we have to be patient. Jobs are harder to find in the mountains but we are sure something will surface soon. For now it has been a bunch of bike riding to catch up on a 5 month absence.

I live in WNC and the jobs aren't here - times are tough all over.
So...I think I'll take this opportunity to thru hike.
Maybe when I get back the economy will have snaped back some...if not I'll head for the PCT.:D

wcgornto
01-12-2009, 09:01
I quit my job / profession of 20 years March 31 of last year. I sold my condo and car. I got rid of all possessions, except clothes, gear and some books stored in my sister's garage. I am currently spending time in different Latin American countries learning Spanish and seeking adventures.

My thru hike is set to begin June 15 SOBO. When I finish, I don't know what I will do next. It could be the same profession or something different. The economy / job situation will have a say. I will definitely not return to Atlanta, but will most likely seek residence close to western mountains ... CO, CA, OR, WA, UT, ID, etc.

Blissful
01-12-2009, 09:39
An AT hike is some of the best medicine out there to deal with things when you get back - have a great hike.

Tilly
01-12-2009, 10:25
Well an apartment fire this summer took care of all my belongings (including all my backpacking/camping gear :() so that aspect is all taken care of.

Hopefully me & my SO will be on the trail this year but we'll see.

I still love my job/career, and I want to stay in it. I'll move away from the town I live in now after the trail, but I want to keep my IN residency so I can see about going to Purdue after the trail to get my terminal degree (it will only take one year.)

In between, I want to hike the NCT in it's entire length through MI and I want to section the PCT. All while staying in the same field, I don't know if that is feasible and I don't know which one I'll pick in the end.

But 1st, March '09...

superman
01-12-2009, 10:30
Wellll, I planned on becoming rich and famous after my thru hike. I was willing to settle for "rich." I seem to be running behind schedule. There are days when the plan seems a bit iffy. I figure I'll give the plan another 20 years...if it doesn't happen by then I'll hike the AT again and make a new plan.:-?