PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual APRIL FOOLS HIKER BASH! April 4 & 5th 2009, FRANKLIN, NC

solace
01-11-2009, 13:59
Just a few miles off the AT sits the great trail town of Franklin, North Carolina! Make plans to stop by this year for our 5th Annual APRIL FOOLS HIKER BASH! The festivities begin FRIDAY evening, APRIL 3rd as Chef Solace & Chef KTR, COOK IT UP! Beginning at 5pm with a huge menu of great food! Some live music will break out as we go long into the night! SATURDAY, April 4th we change up the menu so you don't go bored or hungry ;) AND it's BAND NIGHT! Come join us as we have great live music for hours! Last year we even had a stand-up comedy act! Anyone who knows Franklin knows a hikers best friend, RON HAVEN! Ron & Solace will be hosting what has become the 1st AT festival of the hiker season! The link to the event site can be found at www.thesapphireinn.com You can stay at both the Sapphire Inn or Budget Inn, both with hiker rates, also tenting is allowed at the Sapphire Inn. COME JOIN US FOR GREAT FOOD, MUSIC and Hiker friends who become family at this annual event!
Questions you can email Ron Haven at [email protected]
email Solace at [email protected]

Hooch
01-11-2009, 14:06
Solace, thanks for the early heads up on the April Fool's Bash. I've been wanting to attend for the last couple of years, so I'm hoping that this year will work out well. See y'all there! :banana

Ron Haven
01-11-2009, 14:20
Thanks Solace,
We will be looking forward to seeing all of you that can come by this season.

solace
01-11-2009, 14:23
April Fools Bash!!! BE THERE!!!
It's a BYOB Event (ice provided) Just don't leave a spare "cold one" lying around KTR, hahaha :eek:
If you PLAY an INSTRUMENT... bring it down! Come play with Ronnie Haven!
(no picks a banjo like RON!) :banana
ANYONE IS :welcome
(family & friends of course are welcome!)
There is no festival/bash fee... we just ask for a food donation ;)
All you can eat menu includes selections for the meat lovers & vegetarians alike :p
THIS EVENT WILL BE RAIN OR SHINE :sun
THRU-HIKERS / SECTION HIKERS... Even if you have Hiked by Franklin
(ROCK GAP / HWY 64) when April 4th rolls around (or your in Hiawassee GA)
WE always try to run a van/bus load to & from the BASH from CLOUD 9 Trout farm (outside Hiawassee) And, from The "NOC" (Nantahala Outdoor Center)
WE will bus in APRIL 2nd (and/or) 3rd, depending on numbers.. and bus back April 5th.
WE have the local paper covering the event this year... so come be "faMOUS" with your pic mabye in the paper :clap
PETS ARE WELCOME... you can contact the front desk of the Sapphire or Budget for info if your getting a room.
SAPPHIRE INN 800.401.0072
BUDGET INN 828.524.4403

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2009, 14:26
Wow, this is really good news.

And to anyone who's never attended one of these, it's a REALLY good time, and perfect timing for these leaving Springer just after the first day of Spring.

Thanks for the heads up, guys, hope to see you there.

kdawg
01-11-2009, 14:28
What would be a good departure date from Springer to make it to Franklin by April 4th?

Kdawg

Ron Haven
01-11-2009, 14:32
What would be a good departure date from Springer to make it to Franklin by April 4th?

Kdawgmost allow 10 days but to the individual it can vary.

kdawg
01-11-2009, 14:34
most allow 10 days but to the individual it can vary.
Thanks Ron, Hopefully I will time it right,

Kdawg

solace
01-11-2009, 14:35
Memories that last a lifetime! ONLY At The Franklin NC April Foolls Hiker Bash!
Just Ask BALTIMORE JACK! LONE WOLF! WEE-WILLY! PIRATE! SOLACE! CONTAGIOUS! MOTHER NATURE! LITTLE EASY! MAULA! MINNESOTA SMITH! KICK THE ROCKS! CUPCAKE! Many others! And... of course the world famous Three Eagles Outfitter Staff!

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2009, 14:36
The road crossing for Franklin is a place called Winding Stair Gap, it's about 107 miles from Springer.

Most folks will make it there 10 or 11 days after starting their hike.

So if you wanna hike into the party, I'd leave Springer just after the first day of Spring, i.e. 23-25 March or thereabouts.

Cookerhiker
01-11-2009, 14:48

Kdawg

most allow 10 days but to the individual it can vary.

It took me 10 days and I was a relative novice at the time - my first winter backpack and first hike over 50 miles.

Sly
01-11-2009, 15:15
The 5th all ready, where does the time go?

solace
01-11-2009, 16:05
No DOUT SLY... good thing were all getting younger haha.... The 5th will be the best yet!!! Will be great to see ya!

Gaiter
01-12-2009, 00:49
and if you drive to franklin, becareful, don't speed, they'll get ya, learned that one the hard way

Serial 07
01-12-2009, 02:04
this is not to be missed...i don't care when you start, you'd better find a way!

Serial 07
01-12-2009, 02:06
oh and big ups to solace and KTR!

Marta
01-12-2009, 07:53
Thanks Ron, Hopefully I will time it right,

Kdawg

If you're a little short or a little past, you can probably get someone to give you a ride there and back. Folks from all around will be heading to Ron's for the festivities.

Wonder
01-12-2009, 10:55
Dang, I"m going to be in PHiladelphia for a wedding...............I totally wish that I could make it to the bash, but I"ll be sure to donate some sharp knives to the cooking cause;)
Miss you fellas!

solace
01-12-2009, 11:44
Serial... YOU BEST BE COMIN!!! I'll save you that 20oz. T-Bone.. hahaha.. can't wait !! Great people make it such a great time! KTR & I will have the "cooler" located by the grill as always! you'd best help yourself!

solace
01-12-2009, 11:46
WONDER!!!!!!! what in the world! We will send out the April Fools Search PArty for you in PHILLY!!! haha.. have a great time @ the wedding! You'll def be missed! I bet ole KTR will have "one" for ya! We'll def toast you in your absence!!! we love ya!
SOLACE & KTR ~

Ron Haven
01-21-2009, 13:37
If you're a little short or a little past, you can probably get someone to give you a ride there and back. Folks from all around will be heading to Ron's for the festivities.We probably can get the Limo service to bring folks from Fontana and Wesser back to the bash again this year.If these are intensions.Let me know ahead of time to arrange it.

Memories that last a lifetime! ONLY At The Franklin NC April Foolls Hiker Bash!
Just Ask BALTIMORE JACK! LONE WOLF! WEE-WILLY! PIRATE! SOLACE! CONTAGIOUS! MOTHER NATURE! LITTLE EASY! MAULA! MINNESOTA SMITH! KICK THE ROCKS! CUPCAKE! Many others! And... of course the world famous Three Eagles Outfitter Staff!Also if any of you have books you have written and you want to have a signing at the event is ok and free.If anyone wants to put up tents to display items for sale is ok too.Any other questions please call or e-mail me.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2009, 17:02
Geez, Ron, half the folks Solace named can hardly read.

Expecting them to publish a book is asking a lot. :D

solace
01-21-2009, 17:27
Jack.. my 5th grade level has worked out good for me :) Perhaps we can get a cute libriarian to the Bash this year! :)

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2009, 17:44
Good idea. Laura Bush might have some free time these days, if today's newspaper is any indication. :rolleyes:

solace
01-21-2009, 17:46
LAURA IT IS!!! Perhaps George W. will even show! Ill send the invite!
Ive always wanted to have a Beer with good ole George & Laura!

Christopher Robin
01-21-2009, 17:52
Anyone go from New England area I can pay my one way, has I will be going to Springer after.

solace
01-21-2009, 18:18
THIS IS REALLY A GREAT WAY TO START YOUR HIKE, AS FRANKLIN IS JUST A 75 MIN DRIVE FROM THE TRAILHEAD AT SPRINGER! SO, IF ANYONE IS COMING DOWN FOR A START DATE EARLY APRIL... COME TO THE BASH! iTS A GREAT TIME TO MEET MANY FORMER THRU-HIKERS AND PERHAPS GET SOME SOUGHT AFTER ADVICE!?! Make some great trail connections or even perhaps find a hiking partner!
YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THE 5th YEAR OF THIS HIKER BASH!!!
QUESTIONS???
Ron Haven [email protected]
SOLACE [email protected]

Y'all come down ya hear! ;)

hikingshoes
01-29-2009, 17:41
well,that 20oz.T-bone sounds good,newbies welcome?

Ron Haven
01-29-2009, 18:07
THIS IS REALLY A GREAT WAY TO START YOUR HIKE, AS FRANKLIN IS JUST A 75 MIN DRIVE FROM THE TRAILHEAD AT SPRINGER! SO, IF ANYONE IS COMING DOWN FOR A START DATE EARLY APRIL... COME TO THE BASH! iTS A GREAT TIME TO MEET MANY FORMER THRU-HIKERS AND PERHAPS GET SOME SOUGHT AFTER ADVICE!?! Make some great trail connections or even perhaps find a hiking partner!
YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THE 5th YEAR OF THIS HIKER BASH!!!
QUESTIONS???
Ron Haven [email protected]
SOLACE [email protected]

Y'all come down ya hear! ;)I just talked to some hikers a few days ago that were stopping at the bash before going to Springer.

solace
01-31-2009, 13:30
well,that 20oz.T-bone sounds good,newbies welcome?

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, Baltimore Jack may have eaten the 20oz. steaks by then :) haha.. we'd love to have everyone there! Hikers , family, trail friends!!! :welcome

Ron Haven
02-02-2009, 23:28
Hiker Bash Update;This being the 5th annual bash the town of Franklin is getting involved to help.The committee has got to put it all together.From 11am til 4pm on Sat Apr 4th there will be a town hiker party on Main Street at the Gazebo.

We will have a live band,Nantahala Hiking Club booth,town will present some things.I have got a couple of people who have written A T books will have a signing table.If there is any others out there who would like to promote a book or your hiker related products please contact me.

We will still have our regular event at the Sapphire Inn (http://thesapphireinn.com) on this April
weekend too.We are striving hard to make this bash a great one.If you want to be a part.you can so mark your calendar. :banana

Lugnut
02-02-2009, 23:32
Ron, you're doing a great job of putting Franklin on the map. By this time next you should be Mayor! :banana

Ron Haven
02-02-2009, 23:43
Ron, you're doing a great job of putting Franklin on the map. By this time next you should be Mayor! :bananaI don't know.I may want to hide from that.:D

BAG "o" TRICKS
02-04-2009, 13:25
Hi Ron, I definitely plan to be there. Maybe even bring LW down with me if the Damascus ER and the Warden allows him out to play. Book me a room now.

Ron Haven
02-07-2009, 01:28
Hi Ron, I definitely plan to be there. Maybe even bring LW down with me if the Damascus ER and the Warden allows him out to play. Book me a room now.Tell me what kinda room you like and I'll do it or call us at 828-524-4406 and I sure will be looking forward to seeing you.

Chocolate Bandito
02-25-2009, 00:16
Hey, Ron! Hoping to be there. I was really sorry to have to miss out on the Christmas Party, but I think I can swing it for the Fools' Bash. Oh yeah...:D

Ron Haven
02-25-2009, 00:27
Hey, Ron! Hoping to be there. I was really sorry to have to miss out on the Christmas Party, but I think I can swing it for the Fools' Bash. Oh yeah...:DBring that big smile you have and come on.We will be glad to have you join in.

gungho
02-25-2009, 06:34
I might have to join this little chin dig....can newbies join in on the fun.....

Rentman
03-01-2009, 10:04
Ron,
Plan on driving up on Saturday, this will be my first................can't wait................:banana

Hooch
03-01-2009, 10:14
I might have to join this little chin dig....can newbies join in on the fun.....Yup, but you have to bring enough beer to share with everyone else. :eek::D

solace
03-01-2009, 11:09
5th ANNUAL APRIL FOOLS BASH.... just a month AWAY!!! Y'all COME JOIN IN ON THE FUN!!! Great Food! Good Music! Great people (some even sober at night!)
Its just the best time where old friends and new trail friends come together!!!

APRIL 3-5th! Franklin, NC!!!!!!!

Local
03-11-2009, 08:40
A link to the April Bash has been put on the Trail Days website, http://www.traildays.us/ The link looks like this:

2009 April 3-5 Hiker Fool Bash Weekend in Franklin, NC (http://www.thesapphireinn.com/aboutus746f.html)
Appalachian Trail Gathering

Friday April 3rd through Sunday April 5th

Ron Haven
03-15-2009, 04:14
Local,here is a link that is more for the bash (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=164) also I would like to add just a few things.

The Town Of Franklin and the Nantahala Hiking Club is going all out this year to make this bash something you don't want to miss.

We are going to have Gene Espy with The book,Trail of My Dreams,Dan Rogers book "One Step at a Time ,Osie Jackson who is a personal friend of mine and not a hiker but all hikers love to read and he was Elvis Presley's assistant manager who lives in Franklin and wrote the book "Shaking Hands With Fame".Monica Hensen signing her book."Unwitten", at the Big Bear Park in Franklin where the town is presenting Hiker Appriciation Day.Autograph copies of Jan Lite Shoes book "An ordinary adventure" will be available also.There will be also food,education and fun.

We are going to have the magician "Dober Darvan" and the comedian "Punch Line and Tag. They are on the comedy channel and are also A T thru hikers preforming for the bash.We will have the Waldroop band which is the nephews of the Late Les Waldroop who wrote the first Appalachian Trails Song called "Walk With me on the Appalachian Trail".

Also all the food for you starving "hikers" will be worth the stop.Even Limo rides from Fontana to Franklin.Call for details.PS:Miss Janet says Hello :D

:banana :D :sun :eek: :banana :welcome :cool: :banana :dance :datz :banana aye,thats enough,settle down now,OK?

ARE YOU COMING ???????????

Bulldawg
03-15-2009, 08:53
I'll be there Ron. I gotta talk to Miss Janet before I leave though.

Mother Nature
03-15-2009, 08:54
Oh ya I'll be there with patties in a baggie. Remember I want that quiet room! HA! Can't wait!

Hooch
03-15-2009, 08:59
Remember I want that quiet room! Yeah, good luck with that, MN. :rolleyes::D

Mother Nature
03-15-2009, 09:31
Yeah, good luck with that, MN. :rolleyes::D

I got a plan. :cool::banana:D:-?

Hooch
03-15-2009, 09:33
I got a plan. :cool::banana:D:-?What? Lining the wells and ceiling with peppermint patties? Are we gonna have to take up a collection for bail? :eek::rolleyes::D

Mother Nature
03-15-2009, 14:29
You don't mess with Mother Nature. :rolleyes:

Ron Haven
03-15-2009, 18:49
Oh ya I'll be there with patties in a baggie. Remember I want that quiet room! HA! Can't wait!We have it reserved for you :)

I'll be there Ron. I gotta talk to Miss Janet before I leave though.do you want one of her shirts.

Bulldawg
03-15-2009, 18:54
We have it reserved for you :)

do you want one of her shirts.

Don't know about her shirts.....she asked me at Winton's to bring something for her and I need to know something about that request.

Hooch
03-15-2009, 19:00
do you want one of her shirts.Ayup.........suppose I ought to stay with her first, though. :D

Ron Haven
03-15-2009, 20:59
Ayup.........suppose I ought to stay with her first, though. :Dmaybe a good idea :D

Don't know about her shirts.....she asked me at Winton's to bring something for her and I need to know something about that request.I hear ya.

Gray Blazer
03-16-2009, 10:00
ARE YOU COMING ???????????

YES!!!!!!

I will be vending my AT pics and barnwood frames at the park on Sat. Might trade for gear (I do need a backpacking tent). see you there.

Ron Haven
03-16-2009, 22:46
YES!!!!!!

I will be vending my AT pics and barnwood frames at the park on Sat. Might trade for gear (I do need a backpacking tent). see you there.Fishin Fred will bee there too.

Bulldawg
03-16-2009, 23:19
YES!!!!!!

I will be vending my AT pics and barnwood frames at the park on Sat. Might trade for gear (I do need a backpacking tent). see you there.

Frames?? I need a frame, PM me somewhere else, ya know?

Lone Wolf
03-16-2009, 23:24
right now it's 50/50 if i'm coming or not. if i do it will be for saturday all day and leaving sunday

Rentman
03-16-2009, 23:47
right now it's 50/50 if i'm coming or not. if i do it will be for saturday all day and leaving sunday

We all would like to see ya there my friend, just don't over do it..........;)

Big Oz
03-17-2009, 18:14
We all would like to see ya there my friend, just don't over do it..........;)1st 50 says go,the 2nd 50 says don't.Don't pay no attention to the 2nd 50 ;)

Grinder
03-19-2009, 08:43
It's time to actually meet some of the names on the forum. I am coming!!

! plan to hike for a week plus after the event.

What are the chances of getting/ sharing/ splitting a shuttle to Dick's Creek Gap Sunday afternoon or Monday Morning? That's where my hike will resume.

Ron Haven, I'll be in touch about a room reservation for mid week and parking for the duration of the hike (motorcycle, so not much space needed.)

I'll also be needing a shuttle back to Franklin from where ever I end up.(NOC or northward)

solace
03-19-2009, 09:17
Y'all come HUNGRY.. you hear :) mmm, mmm, mmm... APRIL FOOLS BASH FOOD.... DELICIOUS!

Lone Wolf
03-19-2009, 09:20
Y'all come HUNGRY.. you hear :) mmm, mmm, mmm... APRIL FOOLS BASH FOOD.... DELICIOUS!

what's on the menu saturday?

solace
03-19-2009, 09:24
Good "recovery" food LW ~ Prob Jack Daniels Sirloin tips, Tequila Lime Chicken, Fried Chicken, usual Burgers/Dogs.. oh, and lets NOT FORGET our Vegetarian friends, haha... Ill do a garlic alfredo pasta dish im sure!

Hooch
03-19-2009, 09:46
Awesome.....little more than 2 weeks away. I think a lot of people are really looking forward to this. I know I am. See y'all there. :banana

ncnewbierhiker
03-19-2009, 09:49
Good "recovery" food LW ~ Prob Jack Daniels Sirloin tips, Tequila Lime Chicken, Fried Chicken, usual Burgers/Dogs.. oh, and lets NOT FORGET our Vegetarian friends, haha... Ill do a garlic alfredo pasta dish im sure!

awesome...can't wait...this will be my 1st ever gathering:banana

Ron Haven
03-19-2009, 15:55
what's on the menu saturday?50lb Fatt Buddies BBQ,grilled meats and oppx 50 veges/desserts/salads and other dishes.

HeartFire
03-19-2009, 16:03
I will be in Franklin for this selling my tent - The LightHeart tent. If you were at the SORuck, you may have seen my prototype, well, I've improved the design a bit, it came out to 1 lb 10 oz, uses your hiking poles for set up and fits people over 6'2". Plenty of head room to sit up inside, plenty of room for gear.

I'm also trying to get a vendors booth at Trail Days to sell the tent. If all goes well, I will then kick up the production of the tent.

Bulldawg
03-19-2009, 20:17
I will be in Franklin for this selling my tent - The LightHeart tent. If you were at the SORuck, you may have seen my prototype, well, I've improved the design a bit, it came out to 1 lb 10 oz, uses your hiking poles for set up and fits people over 6'2". Plenty of head room to sit up inside, plenty of room for gear.

I'm also trying to get a vendors booth at Trail Days to sell the tent. If all goes well, I will then kick up the production of the tent.

Got any pictures? I might be in the market for a tent for the non-hammockers in the family.

HeartFire
03-19-2009, 20:47
Hmmm, I've never posted pictures here on WB, so let me figure it out and I'll get one up.
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Gray Blazer
03-20-2009, 08:02

That sounds cool. I will be vending (maybe the wrong word since it implies actual selling and making money) at the Bash/Fest. I have AT photos in homemade barnwood frames. I am in the market for a tent and I would be willing to trade. I am looking for a double walled-2 man something or ruther that won't blow down on top of a NC bald.

Gray Blazer
03-20-2009, 08:11

Does your tent have poles if a person doesn't use hiker poles?

HeartFire
03-20-2009, 09:38
This is a one person tent only, no, I don't have other poles for it and at this point have no intention of supplying them. It is a double wall tent, the fly is attached, so it's all in one.

RiverWarriorPJ
03-20-2009, 09:46
Hmmm, I've never posted pictures here on WB, so let me figure it out and I'll get one up.
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/57/l_f3461e6010e54b928a6bd220b4c50771.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=55764413&albumID=2641060&imageID=43655396#a=2641060&i=43655406)

Waterfall
03-20-2009, 10:47
I'll be doing my best Jan Liteshoe impersonation and selling copies of "The Ordinary Adventurer." She'll autograph them beforehand. (Good thing, since "Leitschuh" is so hard to spell, and I haven't yet mastered the art of forging her name.)

ryanwheeler007
03-20-2009, 12:33
The way things worked out I won't be hitting the trail until Sat the 28th which only leaves me 6 days to hike 110 miles... I've been "training" and been able to get myself up to 17-20 miles a day BUT that is in flat, albeit sugar sandy, NJ pine barons... I've heard a lot of people say that rides will be available if I'm a little short. How do I find out about them? Any input would be awesome!

Ron Haven
03-25-2009, 22:49
April Fool Hiker Bash (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1372#post1372)

vonfrick
03-25-2009, 22:53
what time is the talent show at the gazebo?

Ron Haven
03-26-2009, 01:25
what time is the talent show at the gazebo?9 & 10 wish you were in it :sun

Skidsteer
03-27-2009, 18:45
Fishin Fred will bee there too.

Ron, just so you know I'll have some stoves (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214&p=524#p524) with me for sale as well. Do I need to get all official and get a booth or can folks just hunt me down if they want one?

Lugnut
03-27-2009, 22:55
Sel them at the gazebo during cleanup. :cool:

Grinder
03-30-2009, 14:56
I had this covered, but my ride had some personal problems arise.

I need a ride from Franklin to Dick's Creek Gap after the bash is over. Sunday or Monday is fine. Will pay as required.

If you live in the area, I also need a ride back to Franklin from around Stecoah Gap or Fontana Dam on April 15. (actual depends on how the legs shape up)

See You There, but I'd sure like to get this nailed down. (first ride anyway)

Skidsteer
03-30-2009, 19:35
I had this covered, but my ride had some personal problems arise.

I need a ride from Franklin to Dick's Creek Gap after the bash is over. Sunday or Monday is fine. Will pay as required.

If you live in the area, I also need a ride back to Franklin from around Stecoah Gap or Fontana Dam on April 15. (actual depends on how the legs shape up)

See You There, but I'd sure like to get this nailed down. (first ride anyway)

I can get you to Dick's Creek Sunday on my way home. Not far out of my way at all. No charge.

Hunt me up at the Bash.

Ron Haven
03-30-2009, 21:26
Ron, just so you know I'll have some stoves (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214&p=524#p524) with me for sale as well. Do I need to get all official and get a booth or can folks just hunt me down if they want one?I would love to have you set up.

Grinder
03-30-2009, 21:33
skids says I can get you to Dick's Creek Sunday on my way home. Not far out of my way at all. No charge.

thanks skids. I will.