PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Hikers?

SmokeEater
01-11-2009, 18:48
Just seen the Ohio thread and was wondering how many KY hikers we have.

Bluebelle
01-11-2009, 19:39
Well there are at least two of us.....I live in Bowling Green and I think I have seen several others post here as well. Looking forward to another great hiking season.:banana

Gladiator
01-11-2009, 20:14
And then there were three ...

Tabasco
01-11-2009, 22:03
present and accounted for

Wise Old Owl
01-11-2009, 22:08
This is wrong on so many levels....

CaptChaos
01-11-2009, 23:45
Count me in as well.

Hooch
01-11-2009, 23:48
Count me out. :banana I moved from Lexington back to my native Charlotte, NC back in June. :D

Cookerhiker
01-12-2009, 08:32
I might be moving to KY in '09. If so, within 60 miles of Lexington.

Hooch
01-12-2009, 08:52
I might be moving to KY in '09. If so, within 60 miles of Lexington.
Cookerhiker, if you do wind up in Kentucky, there is plenty of good hiking out at Red River Gorge. Enjoy!

dradius
01-12-2009, 09:28
Another Louisville guy here. Currently planning a thru of the Sheltowee.

SmokeEater
01-12-2009, 09:31
Another Louisville guy here. Currently planning a thru of the Sheltowee.

I have hiked part of the Sheltowee. Good hiking. Some parts are pretty grown over.

Midway Sam
01-12-2009, 09:35
Midway, KY accounted for...

dradius
01-12-2009, 09:58
I have hiked part of the Sheltowee. Good hiking. Some parts are pretty grown over.

Yeah, I think when you get away from the big parks the trail is not used much at all. I'm going very early Spring, so hopefully weeds and bushes won't be too much of an issue :confused: The biggest thing I still need to figure out is the locations and lengths of all the road walks. What parts have you hiked?

SmokeEater
01-12-2009, 10:18
Dradius
I have hiked some the areas near cumberland falls and Red river gorge. Theres a book called Day & Overnight Hikes: Kentucky's Sheltowee Trace. Its not bad. Its the only book I could find for the trail. Your looking at about $10 dollars for the book.

dradius
01-12-2009, 10:29
Cool, thanks for the info. I have that book, and yeah I think it is the only book written on hiking the ST. I think he wrote it in 2003, and from what I gather he sectioned it out, but it still has some useful info. :)

SmokeEater
01-12-2009, 10:32
Also check out http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/. It has some decent journals. One guy said his longest road hike was 20 miles! wow!

traildust
01-12-2009, 16:25
Burtonville Ky. two of us. The Sheltowee is in great shape. The north is clear from Morehead to the Northern Terminus. Get the book. Hike. Enjoy.

dradius
01-12-2009, 16:32
I'm on that site as well. I can't wait to do the hike, but I'm not looking forward to the long road walks.

mts4602
01-14-2009, 01:58
Louisville, KY here.

mts4602
01-14-2009, 01:58
This is wrong on so many levels....

I don't get it.

mudcap
01-14-2009, 02:35
And then there were three ...
1978? When Steve Hackett left Genesis? My first Genesis album,turned onto it by a roommate in 1979. My freshman year of college. Fond memories.:D

Bearpaw
01-14-2009, 15:17
Pseudo-Kentucky hiker.

Currently live in Nashville.

Grew up in Bowling Green. Began hiking at Mammoth Cave, and other SOKY trails. Have done the northern and southern thirds of the the Sheltowee Trace. Hiked a good bit of Big South Fork and the North-South Trail at Land Between the Lakes.

Jeepocachers
01-14-2009, 15:22
Two here from Calvert City/Paducah

Turtle2
01-14-2009, 20:04
Cadiz in Western KY, here. Near Land Between the Lakes.

lycurgus2653
01-20-2009, 01:19
Fort Wright Ky here

Cookerhiker
06-04-2009, 14:57
After living in the mid-Atlantic my whole life, I'm now a Kentuckian. Bought a house in Lexington (downtown near the UK campus) and just moved this week.

I regret living so much farther from the AT, I'll miss giving up the AT section in SNP that I maintained, and I'll miss living in the cool Allegheny Highlands of Western MD and the proximity of the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). But I already have a guidebook for the Red River Gorge. Looking forward to exploring the Gorge, the rest of Daniel Boone NF, and everywhere else around my new domicile.

Lil Hipo
06-04-2009, 15:00
Me and my man, Kyhipo!! Mount Washington, KY!!! Our favorite spot?? RED RIVER GORGEOUS!!!

kyhipo
06-04-2009, 15:03
Myself and lihipo live in Mt washington I have a motorcycle shop in oldham county wich is slow right now on our way to PA well I am here, she is coming just love the red river gorge and other places in ky,met alot of people from kentucky hiking the AT.ky:D

workboot
06-04-2009, 15:10
Add another one...Henderson Ky here...

kythruhiker
06-04-2009, 16:46
Beattyville, KY, right down the road from the Red River Gorge.

Barman
06-04-2009, 22:05
Moved to Georgetown, KY last August, can't wait to hit the Gorge, haven't been there since college in the 80's. There is a group that meets monthly to do projects in the gorge, I hope to get to go down to help them out soon. Here is a link http://www.gorgecrew.com/. They have a Yahoo group set up for monthly info.

John

ki0eh
06-05-2009, 09:03
After living in the mid-Atlantic my whole life, I'm now a Kentuckian. Bought a house in Lexington (downtown near the UK campus) and just moved this week.

I regret living so much farther from the AT, I'll miss giving up the AT section in SNP that I maintained, and I'll miss living in the cool Allegheny Highlands of Western MD and the proximity of the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). But I already have a guidebook for the Red River Gorge. Looking forward to exploring the Gorge, the rest of Daniel Boone NF, and everywhere else around my new domicile.

RRG's a great place! I've made the trip (or part of it) twice now. (But, you know, on the way back home for me, the highest mountains crossed are between Morgantown and Cumberland, ;) )

I imagine you know that the Great Eastern Trail (http://www.greateasterntrail.net/) is following you there - lots of work just beginning between Breaks (http://www.breakspark.com/) and Pipestem (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/Pipestem) basically extending Pine Mountain Trail (http://www.pinemountaintrail.com/) east-northeast. You might even stumble into some of your former PATC brethren as part of the act.

John B
06-05-2009, 09:17
Native Lexingtonian here, although I went to high school in Rome, GA. Lived in Connecticut, Michigan, and the USVI, but there's no place like home.

kygal89
06-05-2009, 11:26
Southeastern KY hiker here!

Jeff
06-05-2009, 12:10
Spent many summers on Lake Cumberland. Beautiful area to live. Heard the Lake Cumberland dam is being repaired. Isn't Nashville downstream? That's alot of water being held back by dirt and porous limestone.:)

Siestita
06-05-2009, 23:03
It’s great that recent arrivals starting to explore Kentucky. I’ve lived in Frankfort for the past 23 years and have devoted some of that time to slowly section hiking the entire Sheltowee Trace (STT), mostly on short out-and-back weekends.

My progress along the SST was slowed by the fact that like to fish streams located along and near the trail. (Spots I’ve especially enjoyed lingering include Gladie Creek, Cane Creek, Rock Creek, and the free-flowing parts of both the Big South Fork,and the Rockcastle.)

Red River Gorge is heavily visited because of its fame and proximity to both Lexington and midwestern cities. One can experience similar scenery without the crowds by going instead to the SST and other FS trails a few miles further south, such as those around Bee Rock and the Cane Creek Wildlife Management Area (west of London) and also the Cumberland River corridor north of Cumberland Falls (west of Corbin).

I liked the southern half of the STT (which I did first) best, but was pleasantly surprised by some of the road walks in the central section. Most of those are routed through scenic areas, such as stream corridors. Walking along winding, scenic, almost traffic-free country roads can be quite enjoyable.

My trip planning and navigation was done entirely using the Forest Service’s large scale maps (separate ones for the Northern, Central, and Southern sections of the Daniel Boone Forest). Those inexpensive maps show all of the FS’s roads, parking areas, maintained trails, and developed recreation sites. One does not need to carry topos because the terrain is simple, with places between the maps’ marked streams almost always 200-300 foot high ridge tops. There are only two directions in Eastern Kentucky, up and down, so GPSs are never needed there.

Rick500
01-19-2010, 11:52
<- Louisville

Edie
05-31-2010, 21:01
I'm in SE KY and relatively new to hiking but after my recent two day hike at the Gorge with my BF, I'm in love. My boyfriend hiked the gorge back in his college days so he knew his way around and made it a great trip. I've already bought a day pack and a larger pack for my future bucket list backpacking trip. I've bought and read many books, watched numerous you tube videos about gear and I can't get enough.

BSF-Hiker
05-31-2010, 21:12
Two more, at the center of Lake Cumberland, a few miles from the Big South Fork and the Sheltowee Trace.

mrhughes1982 is a just a few miles from me, too.