PDA

View Full Version : coffee bombs

SENRABJOE
01-11-2009, 20:01
I love a good hot cup of coffee in the morning. As part of my food preparations, I have tried several packet "tea bag" coffees. They taste alright, but when you figure the cost its near outrageous, so I been playing around with coffee filters and a can of coffee. This works pretty good.Take a coffee filter, the cheaper the better, add a teaspoon of coffee, swirl or tie the top, heat your water to boiling and drop it in, making sure the grounds don't come out. It takes about 2 minutes to make a good cup.Always looking for other ideas, which save time, weight or moneySenrab

wcgornto
01-11-2009, 20:12
I don't drink coffee, but I have used t-sac tea bags for loose tea.

http://shop.jaxteacompany.com/tea-accessories-tsac-tea-filters-c-63_65.html

When you fold down the flap and put a couple of staples in it, the tea leaves don't come out. The same thing should work for coffee.

Just another thought.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2009, 20:13
I used to take a tea ball that you can get anywhere that sells tea or coffee accesories. and fill it with coffee grounds. Worked great and easy to store

fehchet
01-11-2009, 21:06
use unbleached filters. the bob works.

Uncle Tom
01-11-2009, 21:17
I have a MSR mesh filter that was expensive, but I have had it for years. I get good ground coffee, boil up a cup of water on my little wood stove, and seep the coffee in an Orikoso cup. Can't be beat.

budforester
01-11-2009, 21:20
Those techniques never worked for me; maybe it's a GSMNP thing. I have to use the bags or make it "cowboy".

Wise Old Owl
01-11-2009, 21:30
Tea infuses in just about anything. Coffee has a difficulty, water has to be moved though the beans. So if you are using a teabag that was "invented" for coffee you really have to give it a good stir with your spork.

buckwheat
01-11-2009, 21:31
Those techniques never worked for me; maybe it's a GSMNP thing. I have to use the bags or make it "cowboy".

Hoo boy. You're paying about $150.00 a pound for those "coffee in the tea bag" dealies.

:eek: Yikes!

Wise Old Owl
01-11-2009, 21:39
United States Patent 3879565

Abstract:
Roasted and ground coffee is packaged in a brewing bag for use in brewing a cup of coffee in the same manner that the ordinary tea bag is used to brew a cup of tea. An effective amount of a defoaming agent such as silicones is added to the coffee to disperse foam generated within the bag and to improve the rate of extraction of the coffee material. A bag volume of from 1.9 to 2.2 times the volume of coffee avoids the necessity of a defoaming agent.

Inventors
Einstman, William J. (Port Chester, NY)
Rehman, Warren C. (Montvale, NJ)
Plant, Frank M. (Beacon, NY)
(http://www.freepatentsonline.com/createplaque.html?Continue=Continue&doc_number=3879565)

Application Number:
05/186804

Publication Date:
04/22/1975

Filing Date:
10/05/1971

(javascript:openpopup('/bibliography.html'))

Assignee:
General Foods Corporation (White Plains, NY)

TOW
01-11-2009, 22:27
I love a good hot cup of coffee in the morning. As part of my food preparations, I have tried several packet "tea bag" coffees. They taste alright, but when you figure the cost its near outrageous, so I been playing around with coffee filters and a can of coffee. This works pretty good.Take a coffee filter, the cheaper the better, add a teaspoon of coffee, swirl or tie the top, heat your water to boiling and drop it in, making sure the grounds don't come out. It takes about 2 minutes to make a good cup.Always looking for other ideas, which save time, weight or moneySenrab
Oh horse phooey! Just pour the coffee grounds right into the boiling pot of coffee and when it is done pour yourself a cup and add a drop of cold water and any grounds in the cup will sink to the bottom.

Best coffee there is!

Kanati
01-11-2009, 22:44
I too love a good cup of strong coffee and toyed around with different ways of making it. I found out from the Captain that the best way is to put the ground coffee into your pot add some water and put it on the stove or fire until it boils for a couple of minutes. Then set it aside for a couple of minutes to allow the grounds to settle. Your coffee is ready. The Captain always had a bag of Starbucks. We had some interesting conversation around the fire sipping coffee.

But as the weather warmed up. I found I could do without and only drank it when in town for resupply.

Happy hiking.:-?

MisterSweetie
01-11-2009, 23:43
I use one of these:
http://cli.gs/5gXbnV
and it seems to work well. I haven't field tested it yet, but the "field test" wouldn't really present unusual circumstances, so I have no reason to believe it wouldn't function just as nicely hiking as in my kitchen. Also I've only used it for tea, and it's GREAT for tea. But it's actually MADE for coffee, with a pretty fine mesh. Still, you'll probably end up with the finer grounds passing through... I have that every single day anyway; no complaints from me.

DBT fan
01-12-2009, 01:14

Have you considered instant coffee? It may not be the best tasting but is expedient.

Oroin01
01-12-2009, 01:30
nothing wrong with cowboy coffee the grounds always sink to the bottom and is the best tasting IMO

Rockhound
01-12-2009, 16:12
they make a light weight single serving french press. May be just the thing for a true coffee lover.

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2009, 16:30
I've used instant, ground in a strainer, cowboy, the "tea" bags, and the Senseo pods on the trail. My favorite was none of those - I really like Java Juice. One packet of coffee concentrate lasts me for 2 - 3 cups (I don't like really strong coffee) and flavor is excellent. I use the regular coffee one, not the flavors or decaf. The last three times I've bee in REI stores they were completely out of the regular roast coffee ones so I guess I'm not the only person who likes them. I'll have to order them online.

FritztheCat
01-12-2009, 16:33
I use one of these Cup.pour.ri things:

http://www.rei.com/product/638124

Love it! You have to swish it around for a minute or so but it makes a great cup of coffee.

bikebum1975
01-14-2009, 23:53
If you want it cheap and quick just use the old Malita one cup it uses regular #2 cone shape coffee filters with your favorite coffee makes a great cup I use it all the time at home they weigh next to nothing perfect for a hiker. Just boil water and pour in.

WritinginCT
01-15-2009, 00:09
Coghlans makes a simple little filter

http://www.campingsurvival.com/onecupcoffil.html

Tinker
01-15-2009, 00:32
For a group, I bring a reusable drip basket. I just boil water in a pot, add grounds to the basket, sink it in the pot, lift and lower it about 6-8 times - done. Cheap and light for a group.
Solo, last fall, I tried stuffing a section of my bandanna into a cup, making a liner of sorts, put in a couple of scoops of grounds, and poured in boiling water. I let it steep a few minutes, lifted out the bandanna and gave it a squeeze to get the last of the water out of the grounds. That worked fine, too, and no extra weight.

RockStar
01-15-2009, 00:47
I've used instant, ground in a strainer, cowboy, the "tea" bags, and the Senseo pods on the trail. My favorite was none of those - I really like Java Juice. One packet of coffee concentrate lasts me for 2 - 3 cups (I don't like really strong coffee) and flavor is excellent. I use the regular coffee one, not the flavors or decaf. The last three times I've bee in REI stores they were completely out of the regular roast coffee ones so I guess I'm not the only person who likes them. I'll have to order them online.

I just bought one of these. I am glad someone mentioned them. I was thinking one pouch would work for 2 cups. Gonna split it w/ my hiking partner. Also, I buy everything I can on ebay. Found some good deals on this stuff there. Im thinking the Java juice will double as labor currency...:) some may call it a "bribe". After getting water from the Ed garvey source...I don't care if they call it treason! :D

Im also bringing some frm animals...in case I need medical attention also known as duct tape.

atraildreamer
01-17-2009, 13:33
Ever heard of "instant coffee"?:-?:confused::eek:

bikebum1975
01-17-2009, 14:10
Instant coffee is ok if you have no other choice given the taste I will stick with my perked coffee potyeah it adds a bit of wait but for me it is worth it.

Many Walks
01-17-2009, 23:40
Senrabjoe, lot's of choices here. IMO cowboy coffee is the easiest and best flavor in the outdoors. Second choice is a coffee press, but that is another piece of equipment. If you prefer less flavor or weaker coffee then filters and bags are your answer.

Rockstar, I believe we met you on the trail near Max patch in 2007. You're right, Java Juice just might work at the Ed Garvey water source. That's pretty funny. I believe I counted 310 stone steps there. What a haul up the hill that is! As a note, coffee concentrate is cheap and easy to make and can be brought on a hike in a small plastic container. Several recipes on line. Here's one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobalt/768633539/

charlie2008
01-19-2009, 02:25
Senrabjoe, lot's of choices here. IMO cowboy coffee is the easiest and best flavor in the outdoors. Second choice is a coffee press, but that is another piece of equipment. If you prefer less flavor or weaker coffee then filters and bags are your answer.

Rockstar, I believe we met you on the trail near Max patch in 2007. You're right, Java Juice just might work at the Ed Garvey water source. That's pretty funny. I believe I counted 310 stone steps there. What a haul up the hill that is! As a note, coffee concentrate is cheap and easy to make and can be brought on a hike in a small plastic container. Several recipes on line. Here's one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobalt/768633539/
-
Many walks, I have to agree with Cowboy coffee having the best flavor and easiest to make. I used to use the Senso Pods ande even with a 15 minute brew the Senso was still weak. A good 5 minute brew for Cowboy coffee and a 2 minute rest made some fine tasting joe. Even started making the Cowboy coffee at home. Saved a buttload of stove fuel to boot on Cowboy versus Senso.
-
Thanks for the link to the coffee concentrate, I've never heard of it.......will have to make up a bowl and give it a try. Concentrate would be a easy, cool boost in the middle of the day without firing up the stove.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 15:44
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/csa/lowres/csan48l.jpg

Are we having FUN yet?

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 15:50
Ever heard of "instant coffee"?:-?:confused::eek:

Uhh Ever heard of blasphemy? That will be 7 hail Marys and a dose of penance.:eek::p

I'm just kidding - Coffee is a religion. Every Morning!

WritinginCT
01-19-2009, 15:52
I'm just kidding - Coffee is a religion. Every Morning!

::whimpers:: I gave up coffee as a New Year resolution. UGH. 19 days and counting- no coffee. :eek:

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 15:54
WHY?

There are far better things to give up... I can't think of anything right now .... THERE are better things to give up!

WritinginCT
01-19-2009, 17:47
Part of an overall new approach to food and the things I'm putting into my body. I'm leaning more towards an ovo-lacto vegetarianism diet. I have a list of things I want to see and do in this life, a thru on the AT being one of them, but unless I get my body healthy I won't be able to accomplish any of it.

Coffee (and MAN do I miss coffee) was starting to bother my stomach and the near constant heartburn wasn't any fun. So coffee made my hit list. Now I just imitate Jean Luc and drink my "Earl Grey, hot." lol...

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 18:07
Well W in CT that does explain a lot. but you should give up Earl Gray too. Tea, beer, and Coffee all are direct causes of Acid Reflux, my opinion here is from direct experience. Not the internet. When taking the LA weight Loss diet as I did twenty years ago we were limited to one caffeine drink per day.

Just a FYI good luck.

brianos
01-20-2009, 00:41
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/csa/lowres/csan48l.jpg

EX-PERCOLATE!! EX_PERCOLATE!! :banana

rif-raf
01-27-2009, 14:14
A cheep easy methoid that i have seen is taking the top third of a gatoraid bottle (cutting it off just before the sides become straight), and getting a replacement screen for a french press (try Staufs coffee roasters 614-4864861 and ask for andy). you take the screw top lid from the gaitoraid and cut out 4 pizza slice shaped wedges leaving behind a cross shaped patern of plastic to retain the screen. Next cut a piece of screen out from the replacement screen to fit tightly into the bottem of this lid. This should have some lap up the edge of the lid. I found that cutting the screen to the outer diamiter of the lid is sufficiant. Once the screen is inserted, screw the lid on. This inverted into a cup or nalgene works great, just poring the hot water over the grounds. There is some need to sture the grounds to get the water to filter thru, I have found the the wrong end of a spoon works great.

Montana Mac
01-27-2009, 14:35
If you use the JetBoil personal cooking system the Maxwell 4 cp packet fits in perfect. I am a coffee drinker and there is no problem for me in drinking the whole pot.

While section hiking with my brother, during his thru, I would make the coffee for 3 of us in the morning and someone else would heat extra water for my oatmeal.

I have also made many gallons of cowboy coffee.

mudhead
01-27-2009, 18:52
IMaxwell 4 cp packet fits in perfect.

Like a pod? Sold in grocery?

Montana Mac
01-27-2009, 19:31
Like a pod? Sold in grocery?
Yes they are sold in grocery stores and Wal-mart. They are made to go in a regular coffee maker but fit the JetBoil.

WritinginCT
01-27-2009, 19:42
the Maxwell House filter packs are regular coffee btw (not like the coffee single teabag style that's half instant/half regular) - just think of them as regular ground coffee pre-measured in a circular filter. You use one for a 4 cup coffee maker- 2 for a 8 cupper (lol or in my house 4 for the 8 cupper ;) )

partinj
01-28-2009, 13:11
Taster choice has a box of seven single pack for a $1 now you can get then just about any where kmart walmart or any food store.

Stickbow
04-09-2009, 00:26
Make a reusable filter bag out of muslin (or a tightly woven 100% cotton bandanna). You should overcast the edges to avoid fraying (think what a serger sewing machine does). Put a long drawstring in it, tie the top off with a couple of wraps or make it very long and narrow and just tie it off with an overhand knot.

Toss it in your pot of just-boiled water. You'll need to add a little extra grounds, though you can squeeze the bag a little to get past that. As a bonus, if you're really stingy and don't mind weaker coffee, you can get a second brewing out of the grounds.

When you're done, rinse it out, hang it on your pack and it'll be dry in about 10-20 mins.

This works for tea also, is very light (lighter than plastic or metal solutions).

BTW: "cowboy coffee" ideally requires a much coarser grind and a good long boil. As a reenactor, we experiment with a lot of historically accurate ways of making coffee, and fresh roasting green beans, grinding by hand and steeping a long time does make a really nice cup o' joe.

Two Tents
04-09-2009, 10:01
Just another thought! there is a 2 oz. deally called a pressbot. Itis a coffee press that goes inside a nagalene bottle and will make a superb brew! Two tents

CowHead
04-09-2009, 10:32
jetboil makes a press for their stove