PDA

View Full Version : 100-Mile Wilderness June '09

npoles91
01-11-2009, 21:50
Me, my brother, and a couple of our cousins are planning to hike from Monson to Katahdin this june and i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and answer some questions about this trip.

1. As of now, we're planning on parking at Abol Bridge and getting a shuttle to monson. Do you think that we'd have a problem leaving our car there for a little over a week?

2. If we park at Abol that would become our resupply point...if we plan on getting to Abol in a week, do you think we'd need to resupply before that?

3. Before going up Katahdin, we'd like to stay at "The Birches." I know this is first-come-first-serve on a day-to-day basis so how much would we have to worry about the site filling up before we get there?

We're also looking for shuttle service suggestions if you know or have any experience with anyone specific.

Finally, please leave any tips, tricks, etc, etc. if you can. It'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Phreak
01-11-2009, 22:04
We're also looking for shuttle service suggestions if you know or have any experience with anyone specific.
Thanks!
Buddy w/ 7 Pines Shuttle Service (based in Monson)

Phreak
01-11-2009, 22:05
Forgot to include his contact info:

7 Pines Shuttle Service
207-997-3792 (H), 207-343-2564 (cell)
[email protected]

TOW
01-11-2009, 22:06
You better bring plenty of skeeter netting because the black flies are going to tear your arses up!

KG4FAM
01-11-2009, 22:11
Birches won't be full in June. It is only supposed to be for folks coming from at least Monson. Occasionally they may let a SOBO here and there stay there.

I have done the wilderness twice and carried all my food for the whole distance. I did it in 8 days the first time and 9 this summer. You don't need a resupply, but you can do it to make things easier.

If you got the money this (http://www.katahdinair.com/) would be an awesome shuttle, but folks Shaw's does shuttles and the AT Lodge does them as well.

weary
01-11-2009, 22:54
Me, my brother, and a couple of our cousins are planning to hike from Monson to Katahdin this june and i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and answer some questions about this trip.

1. As of now, we're planning on parking at Abol Bridge and getting a shuttle to monson. Do you think that we'd have a problem leaving our car there for a little over a week?

2. If we park at Abol that would become our resupply point...if we plan on getting to Abol in a week, do you think we'd need to resupply before that?

3. Before going up Katahdin, we'd like to stay at "The Birches." I know this is first-come-first-serve on a day-to-day basis so how much would we have to worry about the site filling up before we get there?

Finally, please leave any tips, tricks, etc, etc. if you can. It'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
All is possible. I would, however, start on July 1, if possible, both to avoid high water levels, and most important, to avoid the worse of the black flies. Regardless, carry a lot of DEET, and use it.

Weary

Kirby
01-11-2009, 23:04
Have fun! It's a nice section of trail. Sleep in a tent and you'll sleep like an angel once you've rid your tent of the rebel bugs that got in.

Kirby

DavidNH
01-11-2009, 23:24
nppoles91,

As others have said, if you plan on doing this in June expect big time mosquitoes and bugs. The black fly is considered to be the Maine state bird! Youwill be hiking not at peak bug season but pretty close.

That is also a month where it will. or at least often is, quite wet. We are talking plenty of mud and stream crossings up to waist deep. In 2006 I remember I was told it rained 20 days in June. When I went through in September, the weather was mostly beautiful but there was still mud in places.

As for resupply, there is NONE between Monson and Abol Bridge. Unless you have some one meet you at a road crossing with food.

Be sure to stay at Shaws in Monson. The best breakfasts you will ever see!
If the weather is good, this section is in my opinion the most beautiful of the whole AT.

On the plus side though, the 100 mile wilderness in June should be very uncrowded. The northbounders have not arrived and few southbounders will have come through..well actually there aren't many southbounders anyway. You may find you (and who ever you are hiking with) will have most shelters to yourself.

If you could delay your trip till July or even August, I think you'd have a more enjoyable experience due to better weather and trail conditions.

Even if shelters are empty, still bring a tent or tarp. There are some jimdandy camping spots on this trip!!!

DavidNH

Almost There
01-11-2009, 23:57
I hiked the Wilderness last June 10th going SOBO, and be prepared to be wet. Streams will be running high, and it rained most of the time. When it wasn't raining the black flies weren't bad, almost non existent, but the mosquitoes traveled in armies. Use the shelters, and if I were you I would head into White House Landing to resupply. You can get a shower, homecooked meal, etc. Last summer they were stocked with almost all resupply needs. Make sure you have DEET on you, and use it liberally. Also wear light colored clothing, I wore permathrin treated clothes, in light colors and was much better off than the guys in dark colored clothes. It was a great hike, and I met some great people. One other thing, if you can afford the money, stay at Katahdin Stream vs. the Birches in June. The campsite at the Birches is even more of a mosquito haven than Katahdin Stream, and the campground has terlets!

One last thing, enjoy your hike!

Almost There
01-12-2009, 00:00
Echo what David said about making sure you have a tent or tarp. There were two nights where the shelter was overcrowded because no one wanted to set up tents in the rain, and we had caught up to a group ahead of us. There were about 15 Sobo'ers around me when I was out, and there were 3 nobo'ers I met in the Wilderness.

Sobo'ers are starting earlier every year!

RockDoc
01-12-2009, 01:10
You can deal with the bugs; soaking your clothes is permetherin is a great help. Bugs aren't a reason not to do the hike, IMO.

All that WHL had when I was there was sugary junk food, mainly candy. No nuts, no dried fruit, energy bars, jerky, etc. Owner said that hikers just want to eat candy; sugar and fat. That was his (dumb) opinion, so that's all he sold. I certainly didn't want to eat crap on my hike because how you choose to eat will affect your performance sooner or later.

All the leantos that I saw seemed to have rodent problems; so we mostly tented. I was kept up all night by mice in the only leanto we used at Moxie Bald. There are (almost) always nice campsites. Don't count on begin alone. We never were unless we stealth camped.

In 2007 we had nice dry weather in June/July. Very little rain. Only one day, leaving Monson, north, did we have to hike under an umbrella.

It's a great trip. Enjoy!

RockDoc
01-12-2009, 01:11
Oh, and if you're in Monson for July 4 check out the bagpipers!
Good times!

Dogwood
01-12-2009, 02:17
I would try to figure White House Landing into the equation. Call ahead to see if they would hold a resupply package for U and what resupply food will be available when U get there; the types and amts of resupply available does change at WHL(call from Shaw's in Monson or when U go through Monson). Maybe, there would be enough grub available for U at WHL so that U could reduce the amount of food U carry from Monson. Even if WHL will not hold resupply packages or have much in the way of resupply grub, stopping off at WHL for a big burger, personal size pizza, sandwich, and/or morning breakfast means carrying that much less food from Monson. If the weather has been wet and insects R buzzing in full force(I think that is what U will find in late June-July) a shower and restful night's sleep in the bunkhouse might make for a more enjoyable trip for your party.

I give another heads up for Shaw's in Monson(great hostel) and Buddy w/ 7 Pines shuttle service. Both people/places R reliable and will provide U detailed 100 mile wilderness info. I believe Shaw's also provides TH shuttling.

I'm not a local, so I can't accurately reflect on how safe your car will be at Abol Bridge for a week(my impression is that it will be fine), but it would seem wise to park it in an area where someone knows what U R doing and can keep an eye on it for U. The folks in Maine R down home helpful friendly types once U get to know them.

I would tend to think that the way The Birches is run U shouldn't have a problem staying there in late June on a weekday. Call Baxter SP if U want some back-up shelter possibilities. There shouldn't be a problem finding a shelter in Baxter SP. Baxter SP has daily weather reports and loans free day packs for summitting day.

Enjoy the trip and the eccentric collection of privies in Maine.

KG4FAM
01-12-2009, 11:29
All that WHL had when I was there was sugary junk food, mainly candy. No nuts, no dried fruit, energy bars, jerky, etc. Owner said that hikers just want to eat candy; sugar and fat. That was his (dumb) opinion, so that's all he sold. I certainly didn't want to eat crap on my hike because how you choose to eat will affect your performance sooner or later.
Thats what NOBO thru hikers eat. Their metabolisms will burn anything that they shove down their throats by that point. I could see some packs of peanuts, but not the rest.

Here is my opinion on the foods that you want. I don't buy energy bars because they are expensive and I can get about the same nutritional value from a snickers. Store bought jerky is just plain nasty compared to homemade stuff plus its pretty expensive for what you get. I can go to WHL and buy his burger and get a lot more protein per dollar and better taste than buying a bag of jerky from him. Dried fruit is usually expensive and the taste gets old quickly. I would rather take fresh fruit with me. So I don't think the guy at WHL is dumb about what he carries. He may have even tried carrying some of that at one time and taken a loss for it. He is running a business, not a health spa so he going to do what is profitable. You may like those things, but not everybody. He should stock the nuts though, good source of protien and fat and they are cheap.

Almost There
01-12-2009, 12:58

All the leantos that I saw seemed to have rodent problems; so we mostly tented. I was kept up all night by mice in the only leanto we used at Moxie Bald.

Negative, negative:rolleyes:.

In June of '08 he had a wall full of Noodle meals, batteries, deet, poptarts, granola bars, candy bars, etc. Stuff that most hikers I know eat on the trail. If I had known his supply I wouldn't have done a drop in the wilderness with food, would have saved $40. BTW, the home cooked food more than made up for it. I thought the owner and his wife were great people. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

As for the shelters, I spent every night in one, and I never saw a rodent the entire time, so ymmv.

I guess we agree on one thing, the hike is awesome.

npoles91
01-12-2009, 14:52
Thanks for the help everyone!

do you still think i'd be fine getting a spot at the birches if i left at the end of june?

and i've heard there aren't any markings for White House Landing...can you tell me how to get there? (how far is it from the main trail?)

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2009, 14:58
Some good posts so far, and I'd have to agree with the sentiments of many of them.

Why do this section in June?

You're going to arrive at beautiful places, great campsites, cool swimming holes, nice views.

And you will enjoy none of them, because after making camp, you'll be in a lather to put up your tent and you'l dive into in and stay there, in order to avoid being eaten.

This is a really lousy time to be on the A.T. in Maine.

Pick another time, or better yet, if it has to be early Spring, pick another section, and save Maine for aother time.

This is one of the loveliest sections of the entire A.T., but not in June.

weary
01-12-2009, 15:16
Some good posts so far, and I'd have to agree with the sentiments of many of them.

Why do this section in June?

You're going to arrive at beautiful places, great campsites, cool swimming holes, nice views.

And you will enjoy none of them, because after making camp, you'll be in a lather to put up your tent and you'l dive into in and stay there, in order to avoid being eaten.

This is a really lousy time to be on the A.T. in Maine.

Pick another time, or better yet, if it has to be early Spring, pick another section, and save Maine for aother time.

This is one of the loveliest sections of the entire A.T., but not in June.
Jack is right. I've hiked Maine many times in June. But only for special reasons -- like picking some fresh fiddleheads, maintaining my trail sections, seeing the spring flowers on Katahdin, or because someone wanted a guide and was locked into a June schedule.

But for just exploring the 100 miles, I would never choose June.

Weary

Phreak
01-12-2009, 15:25
Jack is right. I've hiked Maine many times in June. But only for special reasons -- like picking some fresh fiddleheads, maintaining my trail sections, seeing the spring flowers on Katahdin, or because someone wanted a guide and was locked into a June schedule.

But for just exploring the 100 miles, I would never choose June.

Weary
I agree. I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness starting on June 25th of '07, and the bugs were absolutely out of control. Not something I'd want to experience again.

Phreak
01-12-2009, 15:27
Here's a shot of the resupply options when I passed through White House Landing. I found the selection to be adequate to get someone through the rest of the wilderness area.

orangebug
01-12-2009, 15:50
June sucks in Maine. The run off, rain and questions of when/whether Mt K will open aren't worth the trouble. I didn't find the bugs to be much of a problem. My biggest problem was weather and factors outside of Maine.

Try for July. Days will still be very long.

Uncle Tom
01-12-2009, 15:54
Is a bad idea. It will likely be really wet, muddy and worst of all, the blackflies will likely be a real factor. There are people that have some pretty severe reactions to blackfly bites, like if they are bitten around an eyelid, their eyes swell shut. Try to do this hike later in the season after the blackflies have died down a bit. Why ruin what could be one of the best places of all to hike on the AT?

Dogwood
01-12-2009, 20:35
Call WHL and they can tell U more specifically how to get there. I enjoyed the novelty of it all. U will know what I'm referring to when U see how U get there. The last time I was there I followed signs and blue blazes.

Obviously, as others have made a point to tell U, insects and weather can be additional challenges. But, if those R the only times U can go, then do it. It's not like it's impossible. Prepare yourself. Bring plenty of bug dope, maybe head nets, long pants and shirts, and rain gear. Go in with the right atitude knowing U will have to face some additional challenges. If the only time I could go to Denali, Yellowstone, or Glacier was when it was raining or during black fly season U can bet I would still go!

weary
01-12-2009, 20:45
June sucks in Maine. The run off, rain and questions of when/whether Mt K will open aren't worth the trouble. I didn't find the bugs to be much of a problem. My biggest problem was weather and factors outside of Maine. Try for July. Days will still be very long.
Well, I agree with the last sentence. But, come on OB, Maine, never sucks, not even in June. Well, it does come close. But whatever. I'm not prepared to quibble.

Weary

Almost There
01-12-2009, 22:07
Well, I agree with the last sentence. But, come on OB, Maine, never sucks, not even in June. Well, it does come close. But whatever. I'm not prepared to quibble.

Weary

Weary,

OB has a slightly slanted view because he was forced to spend the night near Katahdin Falls in the rain!:D After descending in a Thunder/Hail Storm from Baxter Peak.

I can laugh about it now, but sitting in the Lean-To that night, I felt horrible for him. Was worried he fell and broke a hip or something!:eek:;)

Almost There
01-12-2009, 22:08
WH Landing was marked pretty well last year. They went out and marked the way. It was pretty easy to follow. It's a little walk to the boat dock, but if you stay the night they will drop you off closer to trail, about a five minute walk.

knicksin2010
01-12-2009, 22:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/knicksin2010/100_0201.jpg

Dogwood
01-12-2009, 23:04
Knicksin2010 what the hell is that? An AT scarecrow? Looks like a scene from the latest Friday the 13 part 27 movie. Guess U had the shelter all to yourself that day? Was that U mumbling to yourself in the corner with the black flies?

knicksin2010
01-13-2009, 00:00
Bug shirt. It was more constant swarms of mosquitoes than black flies at that point. In all honesty that was the best $8 I spent on the trail.

Dogwood
01-13-2009, 00:31
U poor SOB. Still in therapy over the nightmares and constant buzzing that's ringing in your ears? That's the funniest and most pathetic sh$t I've seen all day!

Tinker
01-13-2009, 00:49
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/knicksin2010/100_0201.jpg

bug Ninja!

mudhead
01-13-2009, 07:40

Weary

Maine always sucks. No one should come here ever. Waste of gas money.

woodsy
01-13-2009, 08:12
Agreed.

fehchet
01-13-2009, 08:31
Shameful woodsy and mudhead.

Uncle Tom
01-13-2009, 08:33
Experiencing Maine sucks since 1973. By the way, loved the photo of the black fly ninja suit, and I'd say it was brand new. After wearing them for a few days that shirt would have been tinged in shades of red from swatting at the buggers!

Lone Wolf
01-13-2009, 08:34
But, come on OB, Maine, never sucks, not even in June.

pretty obvious you've never walked the section between jo mary rd. and KIW rd. in june

Almost There
01-13-2009, 10:23
pretty obvious you've never walked the section between jo mary rd. and KIW rd. in june

Rained the whole friggin time! Nothing like wet slate, and zero mountaintop views. I ate it twice pretty bad through here. Once I sprained my MCL, and the other time I thought I broke my wrist. The best was where the maintainers had cleared the trail for rock steps, but hadn't laid them yet, got to mud ski with my pack on!

With light colored clothes, permathrin, and deet, the bugs were bad, but not unbearable. Once it started raining 24 hours a day, you didn't see the bugs anymore either!

weary
01-13-2009, 11:22
I don't remember whether I've walked the whole distance in June or not. But I cleared blowdowns and cut brush every late May/June for three miles of the trail system south of White Cap for 28 years. My job was to keep the White Brook side trail, the fire wardens trail and the mile or so of AT between those two trails open.

I usually visited the area two or three times each year, sometimes just finishing my trail duties. Sometimes just fishing, or fiddleheading. or all three.

I think I know all about JUne black flies between the KI road and the Jo Mary Campground Road.

Weary

npoles91
01-13-2009, 15:10
Someone earlier recommended using Permethrin...if I bought this, should I get the spray or the kind that I'd soak my clothes in? REI's website seems to suggest that the spray works for ticks and the soak works for a wider variety of pests.

Any idea which Permethrin product to buy?

Almost There
01-13-2009, 16:20
Someone earlier recommended using Permethrin...if I bought this, should I get the spray or the kind that I'd soak my clothes in? REI's website seems to suggest that the spray works for ticks and the soak works for a wider variety of pests.

Any idea which Permethrin product to buy?

I suggested and I used the spray. It works for mosquitoes I can vouch that, but I also wore 100% DEET. My worst night on the trail was going outside after a shower and zero protection. Otherwise I only got swarmed at stream crossings.

I put my clothes out on my drive way, and then I sprayed one side of the clothes(shirts, pants, socks) Let it dry in the sun, and then I sprayed the other side of the clothes. Worked like a charm.

Remember light colors! My buddy in his black shirt looked like a mosquito aircraft carrier. I felt like for the most part I was just spending a typical summer night outside. A few mosquito bites, but nothing horribly crazy.

By the way to give credit where it's due. Weary gave me the idea of the light colored clothes, so thanks Weary!

Doughnut
01-13-2009, 19:35
I left my car at Abol Bridge Campground last summer. Kathy Preble (Boarstone) shuttled me and did a re-supply drop. I recommend you contact her.

DavidNH
01-13-2009, 20:49

mudhead.... maybe you were in Maine the wrong time of year, like with lots of bugs, rain and mud.

But I can tell you and everyone else that Maine doesn't suck. This state is far and away the one with the finest scenery of the entire AT. Even NH can't touch it!! Folks.. come to ME and the Mahoosics, Bigelows, or 100 mile wilderness in the fall..early to Mid September. It is a hikers dream come true. Nice weather, the bugs are gone, and the secenery is gorgeous! Big unspoiled lakes, woods as far as the eye can see and eye popping alpine scenery.

David

Lone Wolf
01-13-2009, 20:52
mudhead.... maybe you were in Maine the wrong time of year, like with lots of bugs, rain and mud.

But I can tell you and everyone else that Maine doesn't suck. This state is far and away the one with the finest scenery of the entire AT. Even NH can't touch it!! Folks.. come to ME and the Mahoosics, Bigelows, or 100 mile wilderness in the fall..early to Mid September. It is a hikers dream come true. Nice weather, the bugs are gone, and the secenery is gorgeous! Big unspoiled lakes, woods as far as the eye can see and eye popping alpine scenery.

David

dude. mudhead lives in maine. he was joking

woodsy
01-13-2009, 21:41

David
Not a hikers dream, the blackflies are HUGE, the weather suks(rains all 3 seasons, then snow and bitter cold), scenery is obscured by pollution.
Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet :rolleyes:
I think PA is where the best hiking is.

Blissful
01-13-2009, 21:53
Wow all this is getting me amazingly psyched for a SOBO hike starting in early June. ugh... C'mon, SOBOers what did you do to get through Maine in June? There has to be something positive.

npoles91
01-13-2009, 22:08
from the AT map i have, it looks as if the Abol Pines Campsite is located outside of Baxter State Park. Is this true? Would i need reservations to stay here or can i just walk in whenever and pay?

weary
01-13-2009, 22:41

David

Very, very true. But also a very fragile wildness. The economic turndown have given us a brief respite. But all those miles and miles of wildness you see from the trail, has mostly been sold to developers. That's why we formed the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust -- it's an attempt to preserve a few bits and pieces of what you and others rightly perceive as country that is totally unequaled in the East.

Weary www.matlt.org

weary
01-13-2009, 22:49
from the AT map i have, it looks as if the Abol Pines Campsite is located outside of Baxter State Park. Is this true? Would i need reservations to stay here or can i just walk in whenever and pay?
You can just walk into the the Abol Pines . There is no reservation system. But the first arrivals get the best sites. The problem is getting reservations in Baxter Park. But even that is rarely a problem in spring bug season, nor weekdays in the fall.

Weary

mudhead
01-14-2009, 12:49
Not a hikers dream, the blackflies are HUGE, the weather suks(rains all 3 seasons, then snow and bitter cold), scenery is obscured by pollution.
Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet :rolleyes:
I think PA is where the best hiking is.
Yes. Don't forget mud. Minges. Stuff that costs 3x more than in NH.

Self service pay-post. If it looks full, keep walking downstream 100'. The generator that keeps the beer cold across the road is loud close to the road.

Therefore, this campsite suks, too.

DavidNH
01-14-2009, 12:54
dude. mudhead lives in maine. he was joking

Ok then. My appologies. Didn't realize mudhead lives in Maine.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2009, 12:57
mainers are like vermonters, you're welcome for a short visit but leave. real soon :)

mudhead
01-14-2009, 13:04
No ap needed! I do think every one should visit Concord, NH instead of ME.

Much nicer. Cheaper. Better roads. Fewer bugs. Much, much nicer.

:):):)

boarstone
02-08-2009, 19:20

Thanks!

Tip 1. Watch the weather...rain means high water crossings in the Wilderness and there are a few that will be a struggle w/rain.
Tip 2. Arrange a resupply drop 1/2 way thru if your NOT going to resupply at Whitehouse Landing.
Tip 3. Wear bug nets, light weight gloves on hands to help ward off the bugs.
Tip 4. Bring anti-histamine Rx/decongestants
Tip 5. Take your time weather/food permitting.
Tip 6. Pack clothes for the wettest/coolest times, enjoy the dry times...
Tip 7. Practice at home putting up tent in the worst of weather.
Tip 8. Check back here on WB under Maine conditions...I keep updates on current trail/area conditions thru hiking season for "100 mile wilderness" section.
Tip 9. See tip 5. Good luck and happy hiking!

Desert Reprobate
02-08-2009, 19:31
Lightweight hikers can catch those big black flies. Tie them off to your pack and it will float up the trail.

YoungMoose
02-08-2009, 20:15
watch out for blackflys. bring good rain gear. i say good rain gear becuase they never bit though my rain gear. Also get a head net.

Dogwood
02-08-2009, 20:31
Whenever I begin to think about what a rough day I've had I can always check out knicks in 2010 in the ninja suit. Then, I don't feel so bad anymore. Bzzz Bzzzz LOL!

warraghiyagey
02-09-2009, 09:03
The Birches are nice but you may not want to rule out Katahdin Stream Campground. It's only a few hundred yards away but as it suggests the lean-tos there overlook the water running off the mountain and it's a very short walk to the white blazes.
As for mosquitos, yes, they are there and I've never had the problem with them and with a little DEET they are a non-issue even in June - use the 98%, it works. Bug nets are absolutely unnecessary and quite uncomfortable - you only see about 1 in every 30 or so hikers using them. . .
As for shuttle - Shaws in Monson is absolutely reliable and they are the BEST of folks!!:sun:sun:sun
Also - you can get a limited re-supply (and a great dinner and breakfast) if you're running short at White House Landing just past Potawadjo lean-to on Pemadumcook Lake (Look for the sign that says Mahar Landing and take the blue blaze to the right.)
Have a great trip!!!:sun

Turtlehiker
03-04-2009, 22:17
Just a thought I had, Shaw's will shuttle you to Abol Bridge and you park your car in their yard for $1 a day. I think the shuttle was $100 for a car full. This way you get to your car with clean clothes, food, whatever when you are done.

When I did the 100 mile the access to WHL was on a logging road and there were signs. I don't have my maps handy. I know the signs were also "Illegal" and ATC was taking them down as fast as WHL wasputting them up. The trail seemed really long but it was worth it for the burger and cold beer!

Kirby
03-05-2009, 13:44
Unless you want to be completely miserable, I would suggest waiting until later in the summer for that section.

High Life
03-05-2009, 13:52
All is possible. I would, however, start on July 1, if possible, both to avoid high water levels, and most important, to avoid the worse of the black flies. Regardless, carry a lot of DEET, and use it.

Weary

I with Weary , High Water from the melt out is a very high possiblity and
can be very dangerous ( ie Little Wilson )

High Life
03-05-2009, 13:53
if i can add to that , we've had record snow all around new england
melt out will be well into june

JAK
03-05-2009, 13:54
I did the Fundy Footpath May 1,2,3,4 one year. It was wet, with snow in th woods, and it rained the first 3 days, but a very pleasant hike, my favourite hike ever without my daughter.

I haven't done the 100 mile wilderness, but I would expect that doing it June 1,2,3,4 would be comparable. As long as you are prepared, it should be very pleasant. Not like March. Even though there might still be lots of snow, and lots of rain, and lots of water on the trail, by June the days are long, really long, and some days are very sunny, pluse everything is at that stage where things are really coming to life. March is miserable, perhaps impossible, but June should be very doable if you like the woods in Spring.

I would try to go before bugs. Not sure when they start. I would also find out exactly how much snow there still is, and how much water. That you should be able to find out a week in advance. As for the weather, I would find out what the worst is that time of year, regardless of weather forecasts, and prepare for that.

JAK
03-05-2009, 13:55
For 100 miles I should have said June 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...

High Life
03-05-2009, 13:57

i had lots of beers in that section WOOT!!
keep that coors light trail magic coming baby !!
oh yeah and the morning i got really buzzed on natty ice at 10 am ..
10 am is a great hour to craft a buzz and hike !!

JAK
03-05-2009, 14:00
Well I see now it might be hard to go before black flie season.
I wouldn't let that stop you though, if you like the Northern Woods in Spring.
http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/bfindex.html

Kirby
03-05-2009, 17:19
If you want to be completely miserable and not enjoy any moment of your hike because you would prefer to spend all your time thinking about the black flies attacking you, then yes, hike it in early June.

Otherwise, wait until early September.

npoles91
03-05-2009, 18:05
because of work and school...we really have no other choice but to hike in June so we'll be doing the hike at the very end of the month

walkin' wally
03-05-2009, 19:07
[QUOTE=JAK;795243]I did the Fundy Footpath May 1,2,3,4 one year. It was wet, with snow in th woods, and it rained the first 3 days, but a very pleasant hike, my favourite hike ever without my daughter.

Fundy National Park is really beautiful. What a place. Salt air and Spruce. We had really nice lodging in Alma. Been there twice.

walkin' wally
03-05-2009, 19:26
npoles91

Big black flies? yeah right

What these folks aren't telling you are the big mosquitoes in June in the 100 mile wilderness. They can breed a partridge flat footed. I seen it myself.:cool: So watch out for them and don't worry about big black flies. If you get hit by one of those skeeters you'll know it:eek:

Kirby
03-05-2009, 19:28
What Wally is trying to say is that you will not only be attacked by black flies, but also by abnormally large mosquitoes. Good times.

npoles91
03-05-2009, 19:40
eh, i'm willing to deal with it. it's the only option i have and i've been waiting to do this hike for a very long time

walkin' wally
03-05-2009, 19:48
eh, i'm willing to deal with it. it's the only option i have and i've been waiting to do this hike for a very long time

Actually, have a great time and enjoy your hike.:sun
I am up in that country quite often if you need any info. I used to work there.

boarstone
03-05-2009, 19:53
I see mpoles91 your in Mass., well then, just trot on down to the salt marsh before you head out, that'll give you a VERY good idea of the bugs up here in June/July.

Kirby
03-05-2009, 20:10
It really is a lovely section of trail.

Just tent every night.

Turtlehiker
03-05-2009, 23:47
Like someone else said If there is alot of Rain Little Wilson could be scary, I went thru at the end of Sept and the water was flowing pretty good and we hadn't had any rain in a while. It was deep enough that things got wet in the cold water that I don't like to get cold and wet!

Have a great trip. Try to spend a night at Antlers campsite nest to MaryJo lake. Beautiful campsite right on the lake. I hit it at a full moon and I think I was awake most of the night just looking at the reflection on the water and listing to the loons. Go all the way out to the tip of the point for the best spots.

Saint Alfonzo
03-06-2009, 12:47
Hello there, Nopoles91,

Saint Alfonzo
03-06-2009, 13:04
It is a lovely hike, and yes the bugs can be bad. Mosquitos,blackflies,mooseflies,horseflies,deerfli es,no-see-ums, and who knows what else. But, this is your hike,and you have wanted to do it for a lone time.There are plenty of folks here who can help you plan your hike. Use this resource, study the maps, and get ready for your hike..

JAK
03-06-2009, 13:16
I've heard that either blackflies or skeeters, once they are in your tent, spend most time trying to get back out. Not sure which. Both will eat you alive outside, but only one is a problem once your in. I don't mind occassional bites, and get by without deet most of the time, but carry it just in case it gets really bad. Most trips I don't use it. We are just starting to get some cases of West Nile. That might change things some.

walkin' wally
03-08-2009, 18:30
I've heard that either blackflies or skeeters, once they are in your tent, spend most time trying to get back out. Not sure which. Both will eat you alive outside, but only one is a problem once your in. I don't mind occassional bites, and get by without deet most of the time, but carry it just in case it gets really bad. Most trips I don't use it. We are just starting to get some cases of West Nile. That might change things some.

It's blackflies that try to get back out. Like houseflies at a window. Blackflies roost in the evening, mosquitoes don't.

npoles91
03-16-2009, 07:56
sorry guys, I hate to keep digging up this old thread. But willi have a problem using a bear bag along this section or would a canister be a better choice?

warraghiyagey
03-16-2009, 08:51
No need for either. bears aren't a problem at all in the 100 mile.

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2009, 09:42
sorry guys, I hate to keep digging up this old thread. But willi have a problem using a bear bag along this section or would a canister be a better choice?

The 100 Mile runs through prime bear country with very active hunting of bears with dogs and over bait. But 'bear' bagging protects your food more from the red squirrels when tenting and mice when using shelters. The cannisters are over kill, just bag it.