PDA

View Full Version : thru hike without support

wantonzoon
01-11-2009, 21:54
Does anyone know if there are hostels,motels, etc. that will allow me send supplies just prior to my start date of March 2nd? I do not want to impose on anyone for mail/support resupply. These places would need to hold items from 1 to 4 months (in the northeast)depending upon the schedule I set. If not, I will just hike without any maildrops and hope the gear and supply bill is not too high. I am trying avoid the bounce box idea as well. I just have existing spare gear I would like to send myself rather than buy new socks, shoes etc.

Phreak
01-11-2009, 22:02
I've not heard of any place willing to hold packages for up to 4 months.

Kanati
01-11-2009, 22:51
The Thru-hikers Companion list all the hostels and mail drops. Last year while I was hiking, I didn't know of any that would hold packages for 4 month. But, it would be worth calling them to find out. They may make an exception for you, and you would need to mark the box approximately when you will be there.

Good luck.

George
01-11-2009, 23:03
at times forwarding services have existed maybe someone has details?

KG4FAM
01-11-2009, 23:05
at times forwarding services have existed maybe someone has details?If you ship a package priority mail then you can forward it for free as long as you do not open the package. No restrictions that I know of on distance or number of times you can bump it for free.

Marta
01-12-2009, 08:14
If you ship a package priority mail then you can forward it for free as long as you do not open the package. No restrictions that I know of on distance or number of times you can bump it for free.

That would be a clever plan because you never know how your plans might change while you're hiking.

Peaks
01-12-2009, 09:13
A better idea would be to assemble mail drops as you go along. For example, make up and send a mail drop to Glencliff while you are in Manchester Center VT.

boarstone
01-12-2009, 10:51
I"ll hold a hiker's box of resupply until...(1) he/she/they call to say about when they will be at the PU point...or (2) call to have it resent somewhere else. Regardless of when they sent it to me. I don't open the box to repack into bucket until DAY OF drop. Just make sure all your boxes will be able to hang around for 4 mos. or less, i.e., stuff in'em will stand the "hanging around" time.

Jeff
01-12-2009, 12:19
Eighty percent of NOBO hikers never make it to the northeast. Sending a drop to New England 4 months early may become a hassle and costly to get it back.