PDA

View Full Version : Who said this:

MedicineMan
04-22-2004, 03:12
How has my view of life changed? Lots of ways, and all for the better. I realize that one's contentment with ones life has very little to do with money, possessions, career, or perceived "status" amongst ones friends, family, community. I'm a lot more accepting of other people's faults, failings, mistakes. I'm absolutely less concerned with little things, minor annoyances, problems, setbacks. I'm much more confident about the future---the Trail teaches you that no matter how bad your day may be going, there'll be a better one coming along sooner or later, and it's worth waiting for. I've learned that nothing that's truly worth having is cheaply earned, that some goals can only be attained thru a great deal of effort, and sometimes, only after a good deal of suffering. One has to decide what one's priorities are, and what one is willing to do to attain them. The Trail has incontestably made me a much better person, and it continues to do so, which is just one of the reasons I keep going back. One cannot possibly spend 180 days living in the woods and mountains without being markedly changed by the experience, and the changes are overwhelmingly positive---I've meet over a thousand thru-hikers, and I'm yet to meet one who spent any great period of time on the Trail and regretted the experience. Quite the contrary---a lot of folks didn't want the trip to end.

Found this while studying the man and was most impressed with it.

Ramble~On
04-22-2004, 03:41
I'd have to guess that Earl Shaffer said that.

Jaybird
04-22-2004, 05:41
MedicineMan:

certainly a wise man...stated those words!

i, too, find it most refreshing & yet, humbling to walk to trail for a week or two every year....all my troubles (from the "real world") seem to drift away & the big things arent so big anymore....the small things matter. (the basics.....food, water...health)

i find the walk on the trail...very SPIRITUAL... :D

MedicineMan
04-22-2004, 06:30
good guess but must try again, as a clue both have thru-hiked the AT more than once.

smokymtnsteve
04-22-2004, 10:01
. Quite the contrary---a lot of folks didn't want the trip to end.

I don't ever want to quit tripping eithier...except that tripping I do when my ankle turns on a loose rock......KEEP ON ROCKING!

Furlough
04-22-2004, 10:06
This sounds like Ed Garvey.

Harry

Jersey Bob
04-22-2004, 10:26
at least 10 characters

Jersey Bob
04-22-2004, 10:27
at least 10 characters

Desert Lobster
04-22-2004, 11:18
maybe Wingfoot?

Lone Wolf
04-22-2004, 11:22
Nimblewill Nomad or Model T

TJ aka Teej
04-22-2004, 11:24
Met over a thousand thru-hikers? That pares the possible authors down quite a bit.
Sounds like something Jack would write, except I don't think he'd use the word "incontestably".

okpik
04-22-2004, 11:57

bobgessner57
04-22-2004, 18:23
Eddie Abbey?

Sorry Steve

A-Train
04-22-2004, 20:39
Definately Baltimore Jack

smokymtnsteve
04-22-2004, 20:41
Eddie Abbey?

Sorry Steve

I'm sure that Edward Abbey did "trip" just a little.

MedicineMan
04-22-2004, 21:47
Yes Jack is a beautiful writer and the words were apropos for many reasons....and like an above poster 'incontestably' is not in my lexicon!
Lone Wolf too had excellent guesses and I suppose the fabric that weaves trailism in and out of all our heads and souls has been grounded in all the great hikers of our time and times past, some can put it into words-thanks Jack.