PDA

View Full Version : Get to test my Montbell UL SS #0

Lyle
01-12-2009, 00:12
Looks like I'll have a couple of days here to test out my new winter gear. I have Tues and Wed off work and the temps are supposed to be -2* to -8* on Tues night with wind chill of -20*. Wed the high is supposed to be 10* and Wed night a low of 1* to -5*. Will be a good test for this new bag. Couple of days outside in some nice brisk weather! :D

LIhikers
01-12-2009, 20:31
If it's anything like my Montbell UL SS #2 you'll be fine. My bag is rated for 25 degrees and I've used it in the high teens with just a little clothing on to be comfortable.

buz
01-13-2009, 10:00
LiHikers,

I have the same bag and slept in in at 20 degrees in boxers, Tshirt and fleece cap, light wool socks. Toasty. Also slept in it at shelter in temps of 8 and 11, with light down jacket and vest as insulation inside bag, same clothes, toasty. IMO, if you are slim type person, these bags are conservatively rated. If you are stretching them out, using the SS feature, their ratings are optimistic by a few degrees.

beerandpizza
01-14-2009, 21:14
we tested our 30 deg ss hugger in the high teens and were quite toasty...the wife did get a little chilled tho but pretty good

FamilyGuy
01-15-2009, 01:58
Wow. I sold my #3 because it was not even close to true rating. Having said that, there were some quality issues with the bags (underfilled down baffles) a couple of years ago so I suspect they have got their quality control under.....control.

Sly
01-15-2009, 02:11
Wow. I sold my #3 because it was not even close to true rating. Having said that, there were some quality issues with the bags (underfilled down baffles) a couple of years ago so I suspect they have got their quality control under.....control.

I was cold at 27* sleeping in my #3 but I was under the stars. I imagine if I were in a tent, or closed tarp, I would have been fine.

buckwheat
01-15-2009, 08:55
There's such a huge difference between 15 and 0 or negative temps ... seems like. I was out on a frozen pond near my house to watch the sunset last night wearing my fairly typical 0-degree setup which consists of:

Lower
EMS Techwick longjohns
Fleece Pants
Poly Ski Pant shell

Upper
EMS Techwick LS shirt
Fleece LS shirt
650-fill down vest
Columbia XCO Jacket shell

Footwear
Poly Liner Sock
2 Pairs of Smartwool equivalent wool socks
Merrill Vibram Trailrunners
Kahtoola Microspikes for traction

Gloves
Thinsulate Flex glove liner
No shell

Headware
Bandana
Fleece skullcap
Poly Balaclava

This setup was overkill for 15 degrees and I was perspiring heartily. Even with wind. I was unzipped for the mile or so hike back to the house to let in some cold.

This morning, however, at 2 degrees at my house, this setup on two-mile or so walk this morning feels insufficient. I'd trade out the down vest for a full down undercoat to get more arm protection, maybe go with my 3/4 poly-filled ski pants, and definitely overgloves for wind protection and therms. The head setup is woefully inadequate probably.

Quite amazing what a difference of just 15 degrees can make in your setup.

Jonnycat
01-15-2009, 10:36
I've never found any bag ratings to be accurate for myself, especially when considered in the morning after a night of sleep. Montbell, Northface, Western Mountaineering, none of them.

My current bag is the Montbell UL SS DH #2, which I am okay with in the morning at just below freezing, provided I have on my longjohns. And I'm okay with that.

Remember, your metabolism is at its lowest just before you get up, and if you get up just before dawn, well, that's when reality comes a knockin' on yer door. :)