PDA

View Full Version : What is the average # of days to hike from the approach trail to US 76? + shuttle ?

Ridgeline
01-12-2009, 13:27
I know the mileage, but I am just wondering about your individual experiences with this trek. I'm just wondering how long it takes for someone who is not pushing it to the max every day. I haven't done any extended hiking trips, just overnighters, and I am thinking of doing this section of the AT this spring. I've done overnight hikes where I did 10-12 miles in a day and I think I could average that distance every day, but I've heard that this section of the AT can take you longer than your normal average because of the steep ups and downs of the elevation(just going by what I've heard, even though I've lived about 50 miles from the Southern Terminus my whole life I've never set foot on the AT). I'm just trying to get a general idea of how long this hike might take just so I'll know how long I need to take off from work.

Question #2: So, If I decide to do this trip I am looking for some suggestions for shuttle service as well. Would it be best to park at US76 and get a shuttle from there to Amicalola so that my truck is waiting on me at the end of my adventure. Is this a safe parking area for extending parking(I've seen this place before and I know it's a small lot that is right beside the highway). Or, if I decide to shorten the trip a little and end my hike at Unicoi Gap on GA75, Is this a good location(safe) for extended parking. It's been a while since I've been on GA75 up that way but I seem to remember this being a rather large parking area. If I end my hike at either of these locations, can anyone recommend a good shuttle service that can pick me up at either of these places and drop me at Amicalola?

I know I have asked alot here, but, I appreciate all suggestions and opinions. Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2009, 13:32
park at amicalola for $2 and get a shuttle from the hiker hostel to 76 and hike south back to your car. 6-7 days

Cookerhiker
01-12-2009, 14:40
Echoing Wolf, 6-7 days is about right. It took me 6 1/4 days after starting from Amicalola and hiking up the approach trail. My experience was comparable to yours; I had never backpacked more than 50 miles before.

Yes, nearly all of Georgia is up-and-down but nothing real steep compared to Maine, New Hampshire, or even some parts of North Carolina. Also the footing is quite forgiving.

jafrost
01-12-2009, 23:06
I hit US-76 on day seven. Amicalola has a parking area near the visitor's center. You might also check with The Blueberry Patch hostel in Hiawassee about leaving your car and/or getting a shuttle (760) 896-4893. I wouldn't want to leave a car for a week at the trailhead off of 76.
--Jack Frost