PDA

View Full Version : First time on AT

RichardD
01-12-2009, 16:26
I have about six weeks available to me starting about June 5th and I am considering hiking a section of the AT.
My wife will be driving from our home in Texas to our son's home in Florida. We can detour to drop me off at the trail. I need access to public transport at the end of the hike to travel to Orlando to rejoin my wife and see an expected new grandbaby.
I have in mind a start at Damascus and an end at Harpers Ferry.
I have never hiked on the AT but have hiked several trails in the West and midwest (Centennial,SD, Superior trail, Colorado trail and JMT).
Questions: what are typical temperatures between June 5 and July 17 on this section of trail? More specifically is it likely that I can hike with temperatures below 85 for most of the time? I am quite at ease with taking a three hour or so nap early afternoon to pass the hottest part of the day.
Is it likely that this part of the trail will be deserted in this time period? I like to have company at least at some of the camps. I am quite comfortable hiking alone but I do enjoy company at camp. I have never used a shelter and will try them but will take my tent with the intention of camping near shelters.
Is daily or twice daily access to water likely, I typically hike 12 mile days?
Is there another 5oo mile section that might be better for the time of year, bear in mind the extra transportation cost to going further north.
My ambition is to thru hike the AT when I retire, likely 2014.

johnnybgood
01-12-2009, 19:59
First I'll begin by saying the Damascus to Harpers Ferry section is a great choice for a first hike on the AT because of the variety of trail difficulty and the oppertunities for more isolated hiking say north of Shenandoah Natl. Park versus the 105 mile stretch of hiking through SNP. When you talk of average weather for June/July in Virginia my experience on the AT during the summer months was it can be pretty hot if your hiking through Mount Rogers NRA but once under a canopy of trees ,not so bad. The scenery at Mt. Rogers is high country and quite spectacular and rewarding. Also Imight mention the floral display of Rhododendron is awesome during the month of June. I hope this helps and a big 'ole welcome to our grand state.

Blissful
01-12-2009, 22:14
Interesting section but it will be hot at times, very humid, buggy and tick infested farther up.

Trail is never deserted in the summer - you get sectioners, youth groups, weekenders, and scouts. A lot will be out in SNP.

Check a data book and a map for water references. But sources tend to slow down at that time of year unless we get tropical systems in.

Alyssa1
01-12-2009, 22:51
i have also never hiked the AT, im 17 and ill be graduating from highschool in june. i want to go for about a month maybe, i need help. i have no idea about anything. wheres a good place to start ... where.. so many questionss.....

johnnybgood
01-13-2009, 01:14
Alyssa1 , I would first suggest finding a hiking partner , either a friend(s) from your school or here on WhiteBlaze. 2) Start looking at the gear you 'll need for a month long hike and begin to see what you already have. 3)Plan the hike from how do I get to the trailhead to begin my hike to mapping out how far you want to go and where are my "out" options in case I want to leave the trail . 4) Knowing how far you and your hiking partner can hike in a days time will determine where you plan on setting up camp for the night. Remember to also know where all the water sources are along your route along with resupply of food . This is where a data book comes in real handy. If you have other questions check out the forum threads and read as much as you can. Websites such as : www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) can send a step by step guide on how to plan a hike on the AT plus that data book I mentioned above. Happy hiking !

Jim Adams
01-13-2009, 07:30
Alyssa1 , I would first suggest finding a hiking partner , either a friend(s) from your school or here on WhiteBlaze. 2) Start looking at the gear you 'll need for a month long hike and begin to see what you already have. 3)Plan the hike from how do I get to the trailhead to begin my hike to mapping out how far you want to go and where are my "out" options in case I want to leave the trail . 4) Knowing how far you and your hiking partner can hike in a days time will determine where you plan on setting up camp for the night. Remember to also know where all the water sources are along your route along with resupply of food . This is where a data book comes in real handy. If you have other questions check out the forum threads and read as much as you can. Websites such as : www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) can send a step by step guide on how to plan a hike on the AT plus that data book I mentioned above. Happy hiking !

To both of you, johnnybgood has some sound advice right here. You can learn almost everthing that you need here on white blaze just remember to read between the ego's. That time of year, you won't be alone and you will be hot at times.
RichardD, you may have problems with the humidity at times...I don't know whether you are from eastern Texas or "dry" Texas.
Above all, have fun. You both have plenty of time to plan.

geek

bigcranky
01-13-2009, 08:43
Richard,

Generally speaking, the weather in June in Virginia is cool in the mountains, though it can be very hot and humid on occasion. There are plenty of water sources along the trail -- however, early summer is when they can start slowing down or going dry, especially in the last couple of drought years. There will be plenty of people on the trail, especially the popular parts (Mt Rogers, McAfee Knob, Shenandoah.) Definitely take a tent or a hammock.

The only other 500 mile suggestion would be to hike from Damascus to Springer. That's also a great section, in either direction.

Cookerhiker
01-13-2009, 16:07
Richard, I also encourage you to make this hike - Damascus to HF is entirely feasible given your experience. I wouldn't guarantee that you'll never hike in 85 degree weather but throughout much of this stretch, you're under tree cover at 2,000+ and often 3,000 feet. Now if you happen to hit valley crossings (some through fields) or long ascents from low gaps in the middle of the day, you'll have to pace yourself but I suspect you'll do fine.

In addition to Eastern humidity which you don't likely experience in Lubbock, you'll typically have more rain than the West although your Colorado Trail experience shows you're used to afternoon thunderstorms.

RichardD
01-14-2009, 10:18
Thanks for the info.
The comments reinforce my thoughts that this would be an excellent section for me for the time of year.
The heat could be a problem but it sounds unlikely that it would be a major difficulty and what is a long distance hike without a little adversity.
Again, thanks.