PDA

View Full Version : Packing up and heading west

chris
04-22-2004, 10:47
I got some good news the other day. The job I applied for in the SeaTac area came through, so as of May 6th, I'll no longer be an Indiana kid. Instead, I'll be living a mile from Pudget Sound. Even better, the job doesn't start till September 15. While I have some plans for Canada, this may give me enough time to take a looksy from the top of Katahdin. I've always wanted to stop in at Shaws, and this would also allow me to ford the Kennebec, which seems like a hoot. So, I should be in Damascus sometime on May 8th, hiking north till mid July. I might make Maine, but maybe just Pearisburg. It doesn't really matter where, just that I have the time. To celebrate, I'm taking what might be my last trip into the Smokys. A fun rumble up from Cosby, up and onto the AT to Pecks, down and around and back up, ending with a final trip to Mt. Cammerer.

Mini-Mosey
04-22-2004, 10:50
congratulations, and have fun!

Jaybird
04-22-2004, 11:23
Congrats Chris!

good luck on the NEW gig & your hiking trip! :D

TJ aka Teej
04-22-2004, 11:35
this may give me enough time to take a looksy from the top of Katahdin. I've always wanted to stop in at Shaws, and this would also allow me to ford the Kennebec, which seems like a hoot.

Congrats on the job, Chris! You've still got time for a Gorham to Katahdin hike, c'mon up and we'll get you to one end or the other.

TedB
04-22-2004, 23:17
Head west young man!

You'll have some awesome hiking trails in your backyard. I never really understood the term "blowdown" until I hiked in an old growth forest in the Seattle area. When a 500 year old tree is blocking your path, you don't simply step over it. Oh no.

Needles
04-23-2004, 02:07
I moved to Seattle last year from Tennessee, and just about every road that takes you out of Seattle will take you to some place really beautiful. I also live less than a mile from the Sound (in Magnolia) and I can hop in my car and be in the middle of the Cascades in less than 30 minutes, which is really great. Seattle itself... it's a great place to visit :-)

VAMTNHIKER
04-23-2004, 06:57
I was stationed in Bremerton (Silverdale) for two years... you will love it!!

I loved staying at the lodge up on Ranier for the night in June with 4" of new snow overnight... then spend the next day down in Seattle in shorts and a T

Congratulations on your new job!

Kozmic Zian
04-23-2004, 11:58
:cool: Yea......Wash State. What a great opportunity to see and hike Olympia, the Cascades and Canada. Wow.....wish I could be there with you. Send us reports, please. Best of wishes for the job. KZ@

Footslogger
04-23-2004, 12:36
Big HIGH 5 on the new job Chris ...

Made a similar move back in 2002 (Atlanta to Wyoming) and then returned for my AT thru-hike last year. It's an "adjustment" for an easterner or midwesterner to head and settle out west ...but if your experience is anything like mine, you'll love it. Haven't gotten out as far as Wash State yet. The the hiking and other outdoor activities in Wyoming are keeping me too busy.

I do miss the east at times though ...and especially the AT corridor. Glad to be heading back for Trail Days.

All the best ...

'Slogger

Mags
04-23-2004, 18:29
Best of luck in your move! Transplanted myself from Rhody to Colorado. You'll love it out West. A LOT different than Indy I am sure!

chris
04-26-2004, 17:03
Thanks for all the kind messages. I'm going to be on the AT for a while this summer, but I probably won't have much of an opportunity to post until I get into SeaTac. I don't know where I'm going to live (somewhere near Tacoma, I suppose), nor how I'm going to get there, nor what I'm going to do with my stuff, etc, etc. I've got about a week to get things organized and move out of my place, which means I have to find a place to move it. Joy, oh joy, moving is such miserable sorrow (at least until I'm sitting in my new pad with a view of Rainier).