PDA

View Full Version : Adding to pad

hootyhoo
01-12-2009, 20:23
Would I be better off to take a blue foam to go under my pad or cut some reflectix to size. I used reflectix a few years ago as a pad additive, but did not use it much and had nothing to compare it to. The reflectix is about the weight of a blue foam pad - but what about the r-value?

hootyhoo
01-12-2009, 20:25
I should have mentioned that I am using a ridge rest full length and I meant to say that the reflectix weighs about half as much as a blue foam pad -- my real question is about the r- value of a blue foam pad vs reflectix. Thanks - sorry for the edit.

daddytwosticks
01-12-2009, 20:30
Hooty...no science here...I've used a section of reflectix as an extension to my 3/4 lenght sleeping pad and as a sit pad. It seems to boost the insulating ability quite a bit. Try just taking a section of reflectix and sitting on it...you can feel the warmth, really! :)

johnnybgood
01-12-2009, 21:29
I should have mentioned that I am using a ridge rest full length and I meant to say that the reflectix weighs about half as much as a blue foam pad -- my real question is about the r- value of a blue foam pad vs reflectix. Thanks - sorry for the edit.
I'd go with reflectix for weight ...er ,lack of weight alone . :D

hootyhoo
01-12-2009, 22:38
I found the trip pics where I used the reflectix in Big South Fork 3 years ago. It was 20 degrees when I checked thermometer that night - it may have dipped a little below 20 as the night went on. I remember sleeping really good in my down jacket, fleece pants, beenie, wool socks, WM Alpinlite, one of those dimpled blue gray pads from Walmart, and full length reflectix. My shelter was a gollite poncho tarp. I think I will take the reflectix with a blue walmart pad this time. Wish me luck.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/4/8/4/big_south_fork_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29830&c=member&imageuser=12484)

Toolshed
01-13-2009, 10:28
I always wondered this as well.
I have had problems in the past trying to understand relfecttixs values. I have been carrying it for winter Adirondack trips since the early 90's with my thermarest and it seems to do the trick, except that it is so slippery. I found if I sanded it lightly I could stop the slippage on it while sleeping.
I posted something about this on Rec.BCback around 1995 or 1996, and I remember someone responding that it was the reflectivity that kept you warm and by sanding it you lose that added bonus. I guess I would rather lose a little warmth than slip around all night. Especially if it is below freezing and you get a little snow on it when in a floorless Megamid - Becomes very slippery.

I use to make my winter cozies, water bottle parkas as well as mukluks for winter lounging.