PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes needed for a NOBO starting next week?

Jake&DayZ
01-12-2009, 21:02
Starting a NOBO thru-hike next week and I am wondering what anyone thinks concerning the need of snowshoes on the AT this early in the year. Anyone have any advice? Any and all will be appreciated!

Jake&DayZ

A-Train
01-12-2009, 21:08
Probably not. There usually isn't that much snow on the ground. You'll probably need them in the Smokies.

Old Goat
01-12-2009, 23:07
I second the probably not. As for the Smokies bring some extra food in case you have to wait out a storm in a shelter.

buckwheat
01-13-2009, 05:09
Starting a NOBO thru-hike next week and I am wondering what anyone thinks concerning the need of snowshoes on the AT this early in the year. Anyone have any advice? Any and all will be appreciated!

Jay,

You might consider Kahtoola Microspikes for those days when you need to be confident of your footing. I did a mini-review of these mini crampons recently. You can read it in this thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/report.php?p=756601)

Others who've actually hiked Springer in the very early part of the year can offer their advice on whether they think these would provide enough traction, but from a weight-to-traction ratio perspective, I highly recommend these.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 10:18
No. snowshoes are not needed. If you carry them I think you will only find you need them if you want to play badmitton at your campsite.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 10:21
Probably not. There usually isn't that much snow on the ground. You'll probably need them in the Smokies.
No you will not need them in GSMNP. Your are going over rough rocky terrain where you will find snowshoes useless, even dangerous. If anything carry some Trax that slip over your boots.

sticks&stones
01-13-2009, 10:44
There may be a time where you would want them, but these deep snow encounters will be so brief that they are not what I ever considered a need. Snow can get somewhat deep in the smokies, but consider your walking a ridgeline, much of the time, and wind often parts the snow to drift off the apex you walk. The rest is trudgable. Ice can be a concern, but again brief. High gaitors, or a good pant, walking stick(s), and a waterproof sock may help.

Jake&DayZ
01-13-2009, 12:17
Thanks guys! Saved me the money for some better food along the trail! Gonna be sick of rice and pasta soon enough!!

Kanati
01-13-2009, 19:20
Be prepared for wet, cold feet however.

Once you leave Fontana Dam, there is only one road in the Smokies. That being about half way thru the 70 miles total. Hang a left at Newfound Gap and you are about 10 miles to Gatlinburg, a tourist town where you can purchase most anything you need, including an AYCE breakfast at Shoneys! Hitches are sometimes hard to come by at this location as 99% of the cars are carrying tourist who don't even know the A.T. goes through the parking lot at Newfound Gap.

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

sticks&stones
01-13-2009, 19:29
Be prepared for wet, cold feet however.

Once you leave Fontana Dam, there is only one road in the Smokies. That being about half way thru the 70 miles total. Hang a left at Newfound Gap and you are about 10 miles to Gatlinburg, a tourist town where you can purchase most anything you need, including an AYCE breakfast at Shoneys! Hitches are sometimes hard to come by at this location as 99% of the cars are carrying tourist who don't even know the A.T. goes through the parking lot at Newfound Gap.

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

Very true, and that one road opens and closes throughout winter due to weather conditions. You may find it closed going down to town, or closed when you are headed back up to the trail. Even the slightest change in weather can shut it down for days. There's a NOAA signal for the smokies, I suggest you use it.

Kanati
01-13-2009, 22:28
Great point about the highway closing Sticks and Stones. If you find you need to leave the trail due to weather or whatever. Note on your GSMNP map that 400 yards north of Derek Knob shelter is the Greenbriar trail leading west. Take this trail down to the Middle Prong trail which leads out of the mountains. It's about 11 miles all down hill to the highway where there probably won't be much if any snow, even if there's lots of it on the A.T. Once on the highway, it's about a mile or so into Townsend, TN where there are lots of places to stay including camping, resupply, etc.. There is also the Riverstone Family Resturarant which has a killer 4 egg omelet. Trust me on this as I am there 2 or 3 times each year.

happy hiking. :sun