PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in NC?

tucker0104
01-12-2009, 21:03
Anyone interested in hiking for a couple of days in NC starting on Jan 21st or 22nd?

theinfamousj
01-12-2009, 22:41
That's the start of the coldest time in NC. Our "depth of winter" is end of January/February. Brrrr.

That said, I love winter hiking and would have been up for it, except I have to work. Have any interest for April or summer hiking? As a school teacher, I get the traditional spring and summer breaks.

showcase
01-12-2009, 22:47
where at in nc????

tucker0104
01-12-2009, 23:11
Anywhere. I am going to be in charlotte but I can drive anywhere.

showcase
01-12-2009, 23:44
i love the hotsprings area hiking, or asheville area

jaweidler
01-15-2009, 23:51
There is a twenty mile trail very close to Charolette called the Uhwarrie trail, it is a nice hike, nothing spectacular, but good campsites and isolation. The trail makes a figure 8 with another trail (called Dutchmans creek trail) so you can return to your start point with out back tracking. I think it is around 40 minutes away from Charolette. The entire figure eight is 20 miles so actually the Uhwarrie is 10 and the Duthmans creek trail is 10, to be precise. I go there alot, I could answer any questions.

tucker0104
01-16-2009, 00:23
Thanks. I might head out there next week.

Reid
01-16-2009, 00:52
I would be in if It were a weekend trip. I work late friday night and have to be back at work obviously by about 3 or 4 on monday.

tucker0104
01-16-2009, 00:59
What do you do?

Snowdog
01-16-2009, 11:40
Check out Tanyard Gap (5.9 miles from Hot Springs) thru to Max Patch in Cocke Co. Tennessee......the Mill Ridge Wildlife Area is awesome and the descent to the French Broad River in Hot Springs, SOBO, is incredible.

NCYankee
01-16-2009, 11:59
There is a twenty mile trail very close to Charolette called the Uhwarrie trail, it is a nice hike, nothing spectacular, but good campsites and isolation. The trail makes a figure 8 with another trail (called Dutchmans creek trail) so you can return to your start point with out back tracking. I think it is around 40 minutes away from Charolette. The entire figure eight is 20 miles so actually the Uhwarrie is 10 and the Duthmans creek trail is 10, to be precise. I go there alot, I could answer any questions.

It could be a good place to go during winter but during summer I am really not a fan of this location... there isn't anything to see and it is just a walk in the woods... Just saying that personally I'm not a big fan :)

Depending on how far you want to get from Charlotte there is Panthertown Valley (3.5 hours away or so) which is incredible, South Moutain State Park, Shining Rock (if you are into rock climbing there are a couple of great summits), or right outside of Charlotte there is the trail at Crowders that links it with Kings Moutin. That could be another good option and the rangers will let you hike it as long as you check in ahead of time.

I do mostly dayhikes in Dec - Feb