PDA

View Full Version : What to do...geez...

corialice81
01-12-2009, 22:36
Money good to go...check!
Gear good to go...check!

Small hiccup...

Three years ago I got an 8 week old chocolate lab that I intended to take hiking with me. Last year, an x-ray was taken of her left rear hip and I found that she had developed severe hip dysplasia. She doesn't show signs too often of this hip development except recently when she plays real hard i.e. swimming at Wilson Creek or playing fetch too long. The vet said that exercise is important to keep the weight down but I don't think a thru hike is what the vet had in mind. On my thru hike attempt last year (2008), I decided not to bring her along. I had a close friend watch her. My friend had every intention of watching her again this year during my hike but a situation arose and my friend is unable to watch her.

For the past two months, I've been trying to figure out what the best solution would be for my dog as well as myself. My family is unable to help. Friends can't help. The biggest problem I'm encountering is that she is an indoor dog and that she is big. She is well trained, house broken but she is 87 lbs and I think that scares people or at least makes them unsure.

Yes, I realize she is my dog - my responsibility, not anyone else's. Up until 2 months ago, everything was set to have someone watch her. Now, it looks like she'll be coming on the hike with me after all, which I'm not feeling 100% like it's a good idea for her or for me. I'm torn.

Help!

Positive, constructive ideas are welcomed. Smart a$$, rude, disrespectful comments need not apply.

karoberts
01-12-2009, 22:42
This is a tough one. How much can you afford for dog care? Maybe a kind person who wants to make some extra cash would watch her for you.

corialice81
01-12-2009, 22:46
This is a tough one. How much can you afford for dog care? Maybe a kind person who wants to make some extra cash would watch her for you.

I had set aside $500 for dog care plus food/medicine/flea stuff for 5 months. I haven't found any "kind" people close to me. I have found some takers but Hershey (my dog) would have to stay outside and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

"Kind" person, where are you?

shelterbuilder
01-12-2009, 22:47
Since it looks like she'll be coming with you, you need to realize that SHE will be setting the pace for your hike. I would hope that she will NOT be carrying any pack weight at all. Talk to your vet about the prudent use of painkillers - aspirin (buffered, using the specific amount needed for her body weight) should be her first-line drug, followed by Rimadyl (prescription drug, very good for the relief of joint pain, but can cause liver problems, which will mean periodic tests) as a second-line drug. (Many vets will push the Rimadyl, but the aspirin is less harsh systemically, and you can always switch up to Rimadyl when the aspirin no longer does the trick.)

No, I'm not a vet or a vet-tech, but I've had sled dogs for over 20 years - none, thankfully, with dysplasia, but advancing age has caused some trouble with arthritis from time to time.

KG4FAM
01-12-2009, 22:57
The dog doesn't sound like it will make it very far so don't even try taking her out there because it will only be trouble and possibly large vet bills. If you take her it sounds like you will not be able to do enough miles per day to finish the trail by the time Katahdin closes no mater how early you start.

That leaves finding someone to take care of her as the solution. Either find someone or stay home.

karoberts
01-13-2009, 00:15
I think you can find someone to watch her. I agree, staying outdoors is not an acceptable option. It has to be someone who loves dogs and will care for her and treat her as their own.

I had to leave my beloved pug for a time while I was in Europe. I found a graduate student to watch her and the cats. I posted on craigslist and then interviewed people. He did it for free and lived in my apartment while I paid the rent.

Last summer I brought my cattle dog on the AT but again left the pug at home. This time, I had an undergrad live at my house and watch the pug and the cats for about $100/month (I paid the rent as well).

Do you live near a college or university?

corialice81
01-13-2009, 00:25
I think you can find someone to watch her. I agree, staying outdoors is not an acceptable option. It has to be someone who loves dogs and will care for her and treat her as their own.

I had to leave my beloved pug for a time while I was in Europe. I found a graduate student to watch her and the cats. I posted on craigslist and then interviewed people. He did it for free and lived in my apartment while I paid the rent.

Last summer I brought my cattle dog on the AT but again left the pug at home. This time, I had an undergrad live at my house and watch the pug and the cats for about $100/month (I paid the rent as well).

Do you live near a college or university?

You, my friend, are a genius! Yes, I do...appalachian state university. What a good idea!!! I really feel it would be best for her and for myself. She is such a wonderful, loving dog and deserves to be treated extra special. Craigslist you say...

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 10:28
You're considering bringing her on the trail but if you don't bring her, you want to make sure she isn't left outside? Where did you think she was going to sleep on your hike?

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 10:29
And no, bringing a dog with a bad hip on a long distance hike is not a good idea.

Two Speed
01-13-2009, 10:31
rockhound, I suspect corialice81 has already figured that out.

corialice81
01-13-2009, 21:07
rockhound, I suspect corialice81 has already figured that out.

oh no, i am complete moron who likes to put my dog on a very heavy chain line and attach her to a tree and leave her outside all day long without any attention or exercise with no house or shelter. I suspect her food bowl will get full on its own and that her water bowl will be filled when it rains.

Really?! Come on people.

Maybe I didn't give enough info initially. My dog has gone on overnights before WITH me. She has her own sleeping bag plus pad and she sleeps in my tent with me. The pace has ALWAYS been set by her and her alone (which actually helps me because I have a tendency to go to fast for too long and burn out). She has a pack but it only contains her food and she only wears it for an hour before we took it off for an hour. If she were to attempt the thru hike with me - she'd only hike 4-5 days at a time then have a week off. I would rather not do that even though it has been something I have considered in light of my situation. I don't want to accelerate any joint damage and I def. don't agree with doping my dog up on drugs just to be able to enjoy her company.

For me to have piece of mind while I'm gone I don't want to think that she is uncomfortable or suffering due to my decision to go hike. She has never spent a night outside alone EVER. That's how it is. You may disagree with how I raise my dog but that is not really what I would like to discuss in this thread. If you would like to directly discuss that issue with me, please PM.

I wanted to discuss my options at this point seeing as how I have roughly a month and a half before I leave for my hike. I strongly feel that she shouldn't go but I also want to leave her with piece of mind knowing that she is being taken well care of in my absence. So, I thought a dog lover who also enjoys hiking (I was hoping a member of WB) might have some constructive ideas or might know someone that might be willing to help me out.

cyclefiend2000
01-14-2009, 14:38
did you get her from a breeder or a rescue group or...?

sometimes a reputable breeder may be able to keep her for a few months. likewise a rescue organization (if you got her from one).

fwiw: i wouldnt feel comfortable leaving my buddy with someone who kept him outside all the time either.

2011_thruhiker
01-14-2009, 15:02
Money good to go...check!
I'm torn.

Hi, I am going to send you a private message with some options for you.

ofthearth
01-14-2009, 15:37
the thought occurs to me that there might be someone who (whom?) is starting at a different time ( year, north vs south etc ) that has the same problem and maybe you all could care for each others dog.