PDA

View Full Version : alky stove concern

Scrapes
01-12-2009, 22:50
I spent some time trying a few alcohol stoves from the whitebox to a couple of my own creations, biggest concern I have, you can't see the flame. How do you guys deal with that, a definite safety issue. One of the stoves, a cat food can with a quarter size hole and side vent holes, burned like a blow torch, in the dark nice and visible, lights on, invisible.

Its something alky newbies should be aware of.

Hooch
01-12-2009, 22:53
The only person I ever hiked with that did something about that was Doctari. He soaked a couple bamboo skewers in his denatured. When he lit it, it made a nice orange flame. Personally, I don't see it as a problem as long as you're not carless about it and inspect your gear before heading out with it.

Captain
01-12-2009, 22:55
I spent some time trying a few alcohol stoves from the whitebox to a couple of my own creations, biggest concern I have, you can't see the flame. How do you guys deal with that, a definite safety issue. One of the stoves, a cat food can with a quarter size hole and side vent holes, burned like a blow torch, in the dark nice and visible, lights on, invisible.

from what i understand all flames are nearly invisible in bright day light. not sure if there is anything you CAN do about it ..

Bulldawg
01-12-2009, 22:56
Yeah, I mean all ya gotta do is sort of feel of it. It is easy enough to see if it is burning. I usually just let my stove burn out and sit while eating. By the time you are finished eating and cleaning, you've given the stove plenty of time to burn out and cool down.

Scrapes
01-12-2009, 23:13
I realize there's nothing you can do about it just something people should be aware of. My snow peak isn't so subtle. Here is a sad story.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/07/17yearold_boy_scout_burned_in.html

stag3
01-12-2009, 23:29

I did some experiments when I was building alky stoves. I tried mixing some coleman white gas with the alky, and it worked okay. If you try this be real careful...too much coleman and you have an out of control fire.

Stag3

Nest
01-13-2009, 00:10
Well, if you are in the woods it's a very easy solution. Just pick up anything flamable off the ground and hold it over the stove. Leaf, twig, grass, etc. If it burns the stove is lit. I don't like putting my hand over the stove because when my pot is off my Whitebox the flame tends to shoot up and down.

budforester
01-13-2009, 00:21
Someone had included a wire in their stove design, which became visible in the flame. I don't recall the details, but think I saw it here on WB.

waywardfool
01-13-2009, 00:26
I realize there's nothing you can do about it just something people should be aware of. My snow peak isn't so subtle. Here is a sad story.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/07/17yearold_boy_scout_burned_in.html

Here's a story that's more directly related to the OP's question (horseplay not involved)... Girl Scouts burned when refilling an alcohol stove they thought was burned out. This happened in Sept 2008.

Apparently...one of the cans still had fuel and was burning when they tried to refill it, causing the gallon container to explode.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080914/GJNEWS02/709149849/-1/CITIZEN
http://www.boyandgirlscouts.com/camps/liquid-fuel-accident/

russb
01-14-2009, 09:22
Budf... I think that was zelph. His purpose was to show it burning in a video I think.

I never have a problem as I can feel the heat if I put my hands near the windscreen. If I am really unsure, a pine needle works very well to insert into the flame area. Towards the end, sound in the best indicator for me. There is a small but detectable "sputtering sound" in my stoves. Also, I can hear the change the pot/water when the flame goes out.

russb
01-14-2009, 09:23
Note: that small sputtering sound happens only moments before flame out.

theinfamousj
01-17-2009, 22:40
If you really want a color to your alcohol and happen to be carrying it anyway, toss some table salt (NaCl) into your alcohol reservoir. It will result in a nice orange flame. If you accidently encrust your pepsi can stove in salt, then be prepared for regular orange flames.

For other colors, consider the following: salt substitute (KCl), cream of tartar (purple flame, formula too long to type here), or DampRid (CaCl2).

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 19:06
Someone had included a wire in their stove design, which became visible in the flame. I don't recall the details, but think I saw it here on WB.

That was Zelph, awesome idea, PM him for the link

garlic08
01-19-2009, 19:25
One other safety concern, a pepsi can stove can be light enough that a gust of wind can blow it over with it's small footprint (probably not a concern with a cat stove). I made it a point to always be upwind and uphill of my stove. The invisible flame never bothered me as much as the tipping hazard.