PDA

View Full Version : American Discovery Trail- Atlantic to Pacific

Trail Dog
04-22-2004, 16:13
My Girlfriend and myself are thinking about getting off the AT when we get to Harpers Ferry to hike 207 miles East on the American Discovery Trail to Delaware and then West from Harpers Ferry for another 1,000 miles or so. We're in Damascus now so we still have a month or more till that point.

Does anyone out there know anything about this trail? I've been to discoverytrail.org and sent out a few emails but want to know if anyone has been on any parts of the ADT east of Colorado.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

tlbj6142
04-22-2004, 16:34
Didn't a couple hike this trail last year? Must be some record (Journal?) of their journey.

Spirit Walker
04-28-2004, 15:35
It's a lot of road walking.

SunnyWalker
11-03-2008, 21:52
Can one catch it in Kansas? The reason I ask is that I live in the Top O Texas (panhandle) and could go north to Kansas and catch it. Thanks. -SunnyWalker

cavedive2
11-04-2008, 15:15
Here is a link to lionking's website he has done the northern and southern part and now is on his way was from Colorado. He would be a real good person to talk to. leave him a note on his journal page and he will get back.
http://walkingwithfreedom.com/
cavedive2

My Girlfriend and myself are thinking about getting off the AT when we get to Harpers Ferry to hike 207 miles East on the American Discovery Trail to Delaware and then West from Harpers Ferry for another 1,000 miles or so. We're in Damascus now so we still have a month or more till that point.

Does anyone out there know anything about this trail? I've been to discoverytrail.org and sent out a few emails but want to know if anyone has been on any parts of the ADT east of Colorado.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

SunnyWalker
11-07-2008, 18:45
Cavedive2:
Thanks for the site. ADT, if you do a google search you may find a lot of info also.

fonsie
12-07-2008, 21:05
for some odd reason I cant get a guide book on this trail anywhere. Im going from east to west soon but cycling it. Yea I kno I dont have a year to spare. I figure I start in DC where the C&O canel starts and go from there. So I herd the ADT is mostly roads and trails connected.

Lion King
12-09-2008, 16:19
for some odd reason I cant get a guide book on this trail anywhere. Im going from east to west soon but cycling it. Yea I kno I dont have a year to spare. I figure I start in DC where the C&O canel starts and go from there. So I herd the ADT is mostly roads and trails connected.

http://www.discoverytrail.org

you can get all the guides there

http://www.discoverytrail.org/products/index.html

crazystick
02-25-2011, 22:54
I hiked the southern Illinois portion, a two week trip also referred to as the " river to river" trail as it spans from the Missouri to the Mississippi river across Illinois. It was a nice trail very beautiful country. Alot of road hiking but it's better than it used to be, I would say that section was 30% road. The trail was in horrible shape, poor trail markers, alot of forks without markers of what trail was what, even my maps were off at times because of updates. And the horses tore the trail apart into essentially mud pits. Out of ten I would rate that section of the ADT as a 5. But the scenery and wilderness an 8.

Lion King
03-06-2011, 17:34
I hiked the southern Illinois portion, a two week trip also referred to as the " river to river" trail as it spans from the Missouri to the Mississippi river across Illinois. It was a nice trail very beautiful country. Alot of road hiking but it's better than it used to be, I would say that section was 30% road. The trail was in horrible shape, poor trail markers, alot of forks without markers of what trail was what, even my maps were off at times because of updates. And the horses tore the trail apart into essentially mud pits. Out of ten I would rate that section of the ADT as a 5. But the scenery and wilderness an 8.

And that my friend, is what about 60% of the trail is like, as far as unmarked, thus my route finding and alt routes.

I tell others it is very important to talk to locals/rangers/Forest service etc... and find out about new rails to trails (They were there but not in the guides when I hiked, but I think they are there now), or even newly built trail systems that can be used instead of road walking.

If each ADT hiker does this, it will make it a lot smoother for those that follow in our bootsteps.

excuses
03-06-2011, 23:26
One correction to crazysticks post, the River to River trail is from the Ohio not Missouri River to the Mississippi. You will get to the Missouri River up at St Louis.

crazystick
03-08-2011, 19:24
One correction to crazysticks post, the River to River trail is from the Ohio not Missouri River to the Mississippi. You will get to the Missouri River up at St Louis.

That is correct! (slaps forehead) thank you.