PDA

View Full Version : April 1 Northbound

April Blazer
01-12-2009, 23:42
I am considering hiking North on the AT starting on my birthday April 1. I am hoping it might be spring in the mountains by then! I do not do cold very well.

I am not really planning a Thruhike but I will go as long as I am able to physically and as long as circumstances allow me to. I hike some and I am comfortable being alone while hiking and camping. I already have a lot of my gear I plan to use. This site has been very helpful and I have enjoyed lurking here as a guest many times. This is my first post with my new name and it might be my trailname, too.

I am in sticker shock looking at clothes and I am a size 22 which makes it even harder. I saw several posts where people were ladies were selling things. I am looking for some size 22 or 24 non zip off hiking pants. I just don't do shorts at all and zippers just tear up. Everything I use (pants) now are cotton and will not be going with me.

Thanks to you all for helping me realize that REAL WOMEN do hike.

April Blazer
01-12-2009, 23:53
My first post is full of typos!:o

cathy
01-13-2009, 12:12
I started out wearing a size 20. I wore men's clothing because it came in bigger sizes than womens clothing. I got alot of stuff from campmor under the special deals. I too will be hiking this spring, but not sure where.

Lilred
01-13-2009, 12:30
looking for men's clothing is a good idea, I've done some of that. Also, maybe consider wearing a skirt, many women like this alternative as well.

Dirigo
01-13-2009, 13:20
Try
www.junonia.com (http://www.junonia.com)

Has hiking type clothes for women in larger sizes. Never used them but I know of people who have.

Dirigo

shoe
01-13-2009, 14:24
REI also sells plus size clothes.
Just do a search for "Extended"
I find that they fit very well. At least what I have so far.
I am thinking about the skirt route as well.

I bet you'll find yourself in shorts in the summer :)

Dancer
01-15-2009, 13:25
Hi April Blazer!

How exciting for you to be able to take off and hike! I wish you good weather and happy hiking. I am plus sized. Currently I am in a 24. I don't like shorts either. It isn't that I don't like my legs, I don't like my legs getting so dirty and I am allergic to poison ivy and react badly to it.

I get the workout pants from Lands End. I think they are called Performance Pants or something. They are like yoga pants but not tight. They are very versitile. Warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot and they wick away moisture very well. They are a bit pricey but they last forever. They wash well and resist picking. They also move with you as you bend and step up with no chafing. Big girls know what I mean....my thighs are very familiar with one another :D

Good luck and if you do a journal please let us know so we can follow your adventures!