PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Wool Socks?

Tudor
01-13-2009, 00:36
Hello everyone! Again, it is I, with another poll! I am deeply in love with Merino wool socks and buy everyone I know who works outdoors a pair or more for Christmas.

That being the case, as I loathe synthetic socks, even at home, what is your favorite brand of sock?

1. Smartwool
2. Bridgedale
3. Icebreaker
4. Tilley Endurables
5. Misc.

Tudor
01-13-2009, 00:41
As I have only worn Bridgedales and Tilley's I can only vote on what I know. 1st, I love my bridgedales! Nothing feels better on my feet, except for my Tilley's. That being said: 2nd, Tilley has an UNCONDITIONAL 3 year gurantee on their socks! Any rips, tears, holes, etc., etc., and they replace it, FREE! Now, I have only bought 3 pairs of Tilleys ($22/pair, steep) and that was 8 years ago. I have had to replace each pair, twice, as I wear them constantly, but never have had to buy any more than my initial 3 pairs! It's like the undying sock! I really would like to see how the Icebreaker and Smartwool socks fare, but can't get out of my socks as it is.

Tinker
01-13-2009, 00:42
I've used
Smartwool - my favorite
REI- ok, but not as comfortable as Smartwool
Rohner- Sole is padded on both sides and picks up debris on outside. Padding over top of foot is too sparse.

Egads
01-13-2009, 07:26
Switched from Smartwool to Wrightsocks

Jim Adams
01-13-2009, 07:31
the ones without the holes!

geek

bigcranky
01-13-2009, 08:35
Smartwool Adrenaline.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2009, 08:37
Darn Tough beats 'em all

seanb724
01-13-2009, 08:41
Smartwool has gone down in quality over the years. My first few pairs lasted through some serious work -- several cross FL adventure races and all the training that went with it. Now, however, they often get thin spots from much less work. I have always used the light hikers, but maybe I should try a heavier grade. But again, the light hikers used to last much longer with no noticeable wear. (I also have running and biking SW's that show the same wear pattern...)

I have 3 pairs of ice breakers now that I am trying, and so far so good in the wear department. I am slightly concerned that the thickness change from just below the ankle to the foot is not lining up well with my current shows, causing a very small blister on last year's 75 mile hike -- I have never had blisters in the past!

Anyway, I will try the Bridegales since they seem to always get great reviews.

MOWGLI
01-13-2009, 08:46
Darn Tough beats 'em all

Made in Vermont. I concur.

Homer&Marje
01-13-2009, 08:48
never bothered to look at the brand name. I like the gray wool socks. You know, completely generic, 100 % wool. Gray.

Nearly Normal
01-13-2009, 11:42
Dahlgren makes a very good winter sock.

mudhead
01-13-2009, 11:48
Darn Tough beats 'em all

If they were not so tall on the leg I would agree 100%. The shorties are too thin over the arch for me.

Yahtzee
01-13-2009, 11:51
Wool socks are the work of the devil. Why not just lay down in the tick-infested underbrush until you get Lyme's. Gimme synthetics.

Am I the only one who has had tick trouble with wool socks?

Frick Frack
01-13-2009, 11:51
TEKOS (http://www.tekosocks.com/) are excellent. Bridgedales very good & Smartwool just OK. I used to like Ingenius synthetic but they stink and wear out too quick. Tekos rule! (kinda hard to find though...esp on the trail)

weary
01-13-2009, 11:57
My favorite socks are Thorlo, wool blend hiking socks. "Extra fine Merino wool is a fiber with a unique combination of softness and resiliency. Combined with stretch nylon and polyester, these natural qualities are enhanced to provide better wicking characteristics, more durability and, ultimately, more comfort." BTW, they are made in North Carolina. Statesville, I believe. That's also where their factory store is located.

Weary

Two Speed
01-13-2009, 12:01
the ones without the holes!

geekGotta have one hole. The one at the top where you stick your foot in.

bikerscars
01-13-2009, 14:59
i chose smartwool although i'm warming up to wigwam

when it comes to ticks, before i head out i just cut all my hair off (head, underarms, etc.) and that makes it much easier to pick 'em off before they burrow...has worked well for the most part...save for the few that got me behind the ears...

Johnny Thunder
01-13-2009, 15:05
Darn Tuff's are where it's at. I passed up on some at Neels and went through over 6 pair of Smartwool (and other misc. socks) until I found two pair of Darn Tuff's in Rutland. They lasted until Katahdin and still wear fine.

bikerscars
01-13-2009, 15:09
i gotta try darn tough

Bearpaw88
01-13-2009, 15:11
Rag Socks all the way!

KG4FAM
01-13-2009, 15:34
I tried Darn Tough, went back to Smartwool. My dad loves his Darn Tough socks though.

volleypc
01-13-2009, 18:10
The sock shop in sweetwater TN sells merino wool socks they make at a nearby mill. The brand name they use is Head, but they are as good as any socks I have ever worn. It is basically all I wear and you can buy 3 pair for 7.99. There is a guy selling them on ebay but I think he charges around 14 for them. I personally think they are the same quailty as the trekking socks from smartwool, but i will let you decide that for yourself.

hopefulhiker
01-13-2009, 21:12
I hiked with Thorlos made here in NC the whole hike.. They were a wool/synthetic blend.. The Light Hikers, they called them.. They make an Ultra light hiker sock now..

snaplok
01-14-2009, 16:44
Have to say I'm a fan off Patagonia and Icebreakers. Plus I got a whole bunch on sale for a third of the regular price.

Cabin Fever
01-14-2009, 16:58
I like the ones on sale.

JoshStover
08-22-2009, 22:00
I gotta go with the Darn Toughs. I have about a million pairs of socks and they have proven to be the best for ME. Im not going to say that everyone would be as happy with them but I swear by them. They are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, dont wear thin quite as fast, have the perfect amount of cushion for my feet, have decent arch support, and wick moisture pretty decent. They really are "Darn Tough" socks. My Jack Russells made a chew toy out of a pair and I just knew they would be ruined but I actually have that same pair on my feet right now and there is not a single thing wrong with them...

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 23:26
I like the ones on sale.

I like that answer! Honest socks are socks, I have bought the best, tried Thorios and others,

I like the thick ones during hunting season at Walmart, I am going to stock up again.

Cheap.