PDA

View Full Version : New To The AT.. FIRST TIMERR!

Alyssa1
01-13-2009, 15:23
ill be graduating in june from high school and im looking forwaard to college but before i go id like to do a section hike, maybe be out there for about a month. i have never done this before and i am new to this site. i have no idea where to start, what to bring or anyting about gear... help, help help me pleasee!

KG4FAM
01-13-2009, 15:27
Well what time frame are you working with? What kind of gear do you already have if any? How much budget do you have for the rest of your gear?

Alyssa1
01-13-2009, 15:33
i need a back pack and pretty much everything... im looking to go for about a month. my dad backpacks- he sent me to use this site to get some advide so he can provide me with basic things that he has extra of. ill need a sleeping bag shoes clothes.. alot. im looking to go with cheaper stuff, but i know somethings are kind of pricey and im willing to pay pretty much what i have to, thanks.:)

Captain
01-13-2009, 15:36
im going to give you the best advice you will ever receive...ready?..... RUN get out NOW these people are CRAZY! It is too late for me i drank their brain washing juice and now i want to cook with PAINT THINNER, make myself HOMELESS for 6 MONTHS NOT to mention the initiation oh god that was horrible! i will be forever quivering after the things they did with that monkey and the-- OH NO they are coming for me! NO im not ready yet YOU CANT MAKE ME GO, YOU... you must get my messege out to my wife....tell her...i ....said....hello......

jersey joe
01-13-2009, 15:41
Start with obtaining the "big four"... Tent, Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad, Backpack. The temperature rating of your sleeping bag will depend on what season you plan to go backpacking.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2009, 15:43
footwear should be one of the 4

superman
01-13-2009, 15:48
im Going To Give You The Best Advice You Will Ever Receive...ready?..... Run Get Out Now These People Are Crazy! It Is Too Late For Me I Drank Their Brain Washing Juice And Now I Want To Cook With Paint Thinner, Make Myself Homeless For 6 Months Not To Mention The Initiation Oh God That Was Horrible! I Will Be Forever Quivering After The Things They Did With That Monkey And The-- Oh No They Are Coming For Me! No Im Not Ready Yet You Cant Make Me Go, You... You Must Get My Messege Out To My Wife....tell Her...i ....said....hello......

Lmao

KG4FAM
01-13-2009, 15:54
Sleeping Pad - blue foam pad in the walmart camping section, about 8 bucks and lighter than those inflatable ones

Backpack - this one looks like it might work http://www.rei.com/product/733280 its REI so if it doesn't work you can return it even after you take it out for a weekend to give it a good test drive.

Sleeping Bag - this one is pretty highly regarded in the dirtbagger circles http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

Tent - Big Agnes Seedhouse (non SL) is a solid tent. You can find them for a little over a hundred bucks. It ain't the cheapest, but it is a awesome tent and worth putting a little money into.

Shoes - running shoes work

Captain
01-13-2009, 15:56
Start with obtaining the "big four"... Tent, Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad, Backpack. The temperature rating of your sleeping bag will depend on what season you plan to go backpacking.

I would add to that things to consider:

Tent- how many people? will you have a partner? how easy is it to set up quickly in a sudden summer storm? how heavy is it?

Sleeping bag-perhaps the bulkiest thing you will have to pack, are you claustrophobic? mummy bags are warmer but thats because its a snugger fit than a big rectangle bag, even though your hiking in the summer it can still get cool at night i have seen people reccomend a 20-35 degree bag that kept them warm on alot of cool summer nights.

Sleeping pad-in my opinion a Zrest by thermalite, smaller inflatable pads are avialable but at a cost and if it gets a hole its no good flat, also walmart sells a blue closed cell foam sleeping pad for cheap

Backpack- go to a local outfitter and get FITTED, a improperly large or small pack fit CAN and will make you misreable, keep it in the reasonable size range but enough for a week of food and gear that is all you will need at worst i believe i use a Northface Crestone 60 ( 60 liters of space) its perfect except that my sleeping bag is bulky and takes up most of the pack or cuases me to cram and cram and cram to make it fit in the lower compartment makign the stiches visible.. i do not like doing that even if it is a good built pack.

My immediate advice is to find the sleeping bag first THEN find a back pack that can fit that inside comfertably without taking up 3/4ths of your bag from there look at solo tents, they tend to run small (duh) so i usualy go with a 2 person tent just to have a little wiggle room (remember the companys 2 person rating is with you sleeping shoulder to shoulder with no room for gear)

Lone Wolf
01-13-2009, 15:58
ill be graduating in june from high school and im looking forwaard to college but before i go id like to do a section hike, maybe be out there for about a month. i have never done this before and i am new to this site. i have no idea where to start, what to bring or anyting about gear... help, help help me pleasee!

Boots/shoes fitting are very important. more so than packs, pads and tents

bloodmountainman
01-13-2009, 15:58
For starters, get a good quaility pair of boots and start walking some mountain trails. You'll catch on to what is needed soon enough.

Captain
01-13-2009, 16:06

confirmed

earlyriser26
01-13-2009, 16:06
Don't get a tent that is too small. I find a "two person" tent is right for me and my gear, more so when it rains. Make sure that it is a free standing tent.

Captain
01-13-2009, 16:10
Don't get a tent that is too small. I find a "two person" tent is right for me and my gear, more so when it rains. Make sure that it is a free standing tent.

Also confirmed if the tent says " 2 person backpacking tent" its good for you and your gear without sleeping up against the wall just watch the weight it adds up fast.

kofritz
01-13-2009, 16:12
make sure you know from whence your water will flow....& if you need to filter it

bigmac_in
01-13-2009, 16:18
Check the articles section here. Tons of good information there. Then check the threads about gear. You'll figure it out. It's not as complicated as some will lead you to believe.

Get some good shoes (give them several test runs), a decent tent, a nice lightweight bag and pad - take a couple shakedown hikes (overnights), and get out there. You'll find out there are things you can do without once you get out there, regardless how much planning you do. But you'll probably be hooked.

Sorry. :D

leeki pole
01-13-2009, 16:35
Number one in my book. If the feet aren't happy, Daddy ain't happy.

Feral Bill
01-13-2009, 18:54
If you are in NYC, or nearby, you can do a number of practice weekends in Harriman State Park this spring. Maybe go with a friend or your dad. Experience is the best teacher.

Don't sweat the gear too much, except for footware fit and good wool socks. if you want to save money and weigh consider a tarp instead of a tent.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 19:03
check out what used gear is for sale here on WB. You might be able to save yourself a lot of money.

bpitt
01-13-2009, 20:58
Dude, your first 10 steps are gonna be AWESOME! But about the time you start up a hill, about 40 steps later, you'll begin to wonder what you've gotten yourself into, and then how much you like it!

Alyssa1
01-13-2009, 21:03
thanks so much everybody for your great suggestions!